Last week I posted the start of my sewing plans for 2015. I was going to make New Look 6080 up in a navy blue cotton:
Due to sewing withdrawal (it's my creative outlet, and also my anxiety reducer) I was getting quite irritable on Christmas Eve. I told DH that I as I had done most things, I would spend some time quietly sewing.
So I rummaged in the stash and found a piece of what I thought was blue chambray in my stash. It came from an Op Shop year ago. Fortuitously, I had already pre-shrunk it. It was a bit wrinkly, and a bit hard, but I was only making a may- be or may-be not wearable muslin at this stage. I decided to just use it and get it out of the stash.
This was a simple dress as the line drawings show:
I zoomed through the dress with gay abandon, thinking to myself this is just a cheap op shop cotton, and will do for a summer dress.
And later, when giving it a final pressing it dawned on me that the fabric really was wrinkly - and then it dawned on me that I had made myself a lovely new linen dress for Christmas. And a linen dress has been on my wish list for a long time.
Luckily, the fit was good, I had put pockets in, and the finish was fine. And if I had realised I was sewing up a very good fabric, the dress would not have been finished in time for Xmas. Because you always take a lot of time and care sewing fine, expensive fabrics.
( WARNING - holiday hair is present in all these shots - some days are just run the brush through the hair days, and forego the dryer :))
I added a bit extra at the sleeve seams to match, and added a 1/4 inch to the sleeve hem. New Look are always just a teeny bit short for my liking, but I didn't want to change the look of the garment too much.
I seamed the neck/facing at 3/8 inch (1 cm) instead of the normal 5/8 inch allowance as necklines are always too low and wide for me. I do test the fit first, to make sure the garment will go over my head.
I added about 3 cms to the length and added a deeper hem allowance to weight the dress a bit.
I also added pockets - they are quite low because I had to place them below the seams of the french dart. I could raise them a small amount next time I make this pattern, because I cleared the dart seam with a bit to spare:
Luckily I have quite long arms so can reach those pockets!
The front pocket pieces were a lightweight poly cotton, and the back pieces were the main garment fabric:
The front bodice had little pin tucks:
The pattern did not specify top stitching for the neckline, but I added this - because I like it :)
The sleeves were quite small and roomy on me - I always find New Looks sleeves roomy on my very slender arms. Roomy sleeves are perfect though for the hot and humid climate we have here during summer.
Now for the front, side and back views:
So that was my new Christmas Dress - lovely linen, just what I always wanted :)
And amazingly, the first dress I have made that fits perfectly (for an unfitted dress) without fiddling :).
And I've crossed the first dress of 2015 off the list - the blue cotton was too thick anyway, and this is much nicer:).
I do hope you all had a wonderful Xmas day.