Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Big Thank You to Two Ladies - BeaJay and Elizabeth.


I have had two delightful surprises recently.  The first came from BeaJay, who was celebrating her third blogoversary by giving away a gift to the person who had commented most on her blog this year.

I was thrilled and surprised to find it was me, and BeaJay gave me a $35.00 voucher for whatever I liked (sewing related) where I like.  BeaJay's post is here :http://ontheroadtosewwear.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/merry-christmas-and-blog-give-away.html

After some humming and haaa-ing (not sure how to spell that) I thought I would get something really special that I would not buy for myself.  I settled on some silk satin to line the Chanel jacket I am going to make one day.  Only when it arrived, I also thought it would make a stunning blouse. 

It's actually a silk seersucker, which, for the Chanel jacket option would be fantastic, because you have to quilt the jacket - and the seersucker lines would make that job much easier.  And look good too.

Here's a snapshot of the fabric:

 
The colour does not replicate well in a photo - in proper light this is a deep fuschia - absolutely luscious.  As I have a choice of black, grey, and navy fabrics which are contenders for the jacket, this would go with any of them.

I've put this away carefully, and made a little stash card:

And labelled it "BeaJay"so that when this does get used (which may take a few years) I can remember to tell her :).

*****

The second lovely surprise was the receipt of an email from Elizabeth, who wanted to know if I would like a pattern making book called Principles of Garment Cutting (pattern making)  by E.L.G. Gough.


This book was a textbook in the N.S.W. technical sewing colleges and was written in 1951.  Interestingly I already owned it's forerunner, published in 1928.  It's always interesting to see the changes over a few decades.  The biggest changes were in lingerie, and this book has some lovely brassiere and petticoat patterns - I'm sure Gaultier would be impressed :).  I'd like to try these one day.

Elizabeth also had a 1989 Burda (Italian version) that she did not need.  I loved this magazine - in 1989 I was not able to sew much, and stopped buying Burda, so this was a lovely trip down the memory lane of lost sewing possibilities.


Just look at the quality of the garments - Burda has certainly changed over the last few years.  I especially liked this wonderful gored skirt, which is on my to make one day list:

The straight skirt is lovely too.

So a big thanks to both of you - I was quite overwhelmed by these thoughts.

Sarah Liz






10 comments:

  1. You are most welcome. It does look lush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of BeaJay and Elizabeth. Labelling the swatch as you have is a great idea. Don't wait too long before making your Chanel jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice of BeaJay and Elizabeth. Labelling the swatch as you have is a great idea. Don't wait too long before making your Chanel jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it would make a lovely blouse, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful fabric, and in my favourite colour, too. A Chanel jacket is a special treat for yourself - I hope we see it some time soon. Drooling over the idea of the silk with navy, mmmm, yummy.
    What lovely ladies, BeaJay and Elizabeth are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mao cool!!! A very nice bounty of riches there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What nice friends! Isn't the sewing world a wonderful place to be. Love this community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such sweet ladies.. and I know you were so happy with the blessings.
    Love your choice of fabric..Gorgeous..
    and the books.. just fantastic..
    Enjoy and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete