Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Annual Ritual of Sewing Resolutions.



It's that time of year, isn't it, where we all madly make plans and goals for the sewing year.

Writing these sorts of things down is not my favourite activity, but it does get the buzz of ideas out of my head and onto paper.  Which quietens the head down quite a bit :)

*****

My current sewing plans are fairly simple. I really do have to make a two pairs of pants I really need that are a little smarter than the casual pants I have been making.

I've been avoiding making these for two years now.  I don't know why,  especially as I am fed up with what I do end up wearing.  RTW trousers in poor style and fit, with no pockets.

So I am going to make a cotton pair for summer - they were going to be linen, but the pattern I thought would work, didn't, so I am reverting to a pattern that does work in order to quickly get this unwanted sewing job off the list:

 
The pattern I thought would work was a Burda pattern, Miss Petite.  I'm on the cusp of petite, and thought they may fit better.  I've made the muslin, and it just did not feel right.  The leg line is lovely (View B, straight leg) but the torso was no better than the regular sizing.

This morning I had a thought - maybe there was little difference between the regular pattern and Miss Petite sizing.  Guess what??? 

So that was why I decided to use the pattern that already works well enough.  Trouser perfection can wait for now.  And, when I tried my sample pair on, they were so comfortable that the decision was instantly made :). I've put the pattern aside because it will work, but not in linen, and not for the plan I had in mind.

*****
My first  goal therefore,   is to decide what to do with patterns that aren't quite right, after I have completed the muslin.  Some sewers resolutely plough on with a bad pattern trying to make it work.  I have decided that if I do not like the pattern, and the muslin is disappointing, then the pattern will go.

*****
The second goal is to try and use as much stash as possible.  I'm not yet sure about making a stash busting pledge this year, but no doubt I will be silly enough to think I will stop buying stash if I pledge to do so.  I haven't done this so far, and past behaviour is a good predictor of future behaviour. I mean, what do you do when you find this sort of temptation:


Well, I bought it!  On sale, $8.00 per metre, reduced from $19.99 per metre.  I have always wanted a little red dress for bright, cheery, summer wear when you want the dress to do the work for you :)
 
What about you - can you stop buying stash easily or do you tend to add to it quite regularly?

*****
The fourth goal is to stop buying quite so many patterns.  I am not sure how many I have, about 400 I think. I've noticed I buy more of the same style quite often - usually because they are on sale.  Spotlight has a sale at the moment - Kwik Sew 3 for $10.  I often fall for these sales, and buy one pattern I like and two iffy ones, because this is still the cheapest way to buy one pattern.  Today I nearly did the same thing as I liked Kwik Sew 4071:
I already have a pattern that is similar to this, Simplicity 4032:

 

Which looks like this made up:

I mean, this jacket is so similar - both sized for knits, you can close with one button like the Kwik Sew pattern, and it already fits me.

So I decided not to buy the pattern, especially as they didn't have any of the other patterns that I like in stock.

(Mind you, I'm quite likely to buy this pattern when the time is right and there is a better selection to choose from in these bargain buy situations.  I mean, buying one pattern for $10 and having two you don't like is hardly a bargain is it?)

I'm also going to resist Burdastyle magazines unless there is a pattern I really think I might use.

What about you, do you tend to buy much the same style and pattern over and over again?

*****
The fifth goal is to try and keep track of what each garment costs me - I have tried to do this before, but keep forgetting to do this.
*****

The sixth goal is to expand my sewing horizons and start making garments that are more challenging or a little different from the casual basics I have been making over the last two years.

*****
The seventh goal is to style some of my clothes and post them - I have decided that Me Made May is just too much to do on a daily basis - but I think I could do this in a different way.

I also want to improve my blog photos - but I don't really see this happening - it's not a big priority yet, and I don't really have time to fiddle and learn some of the things required.  I'd prefer to catch up on the Craftsy course I purchased over twelve months ago and haven't yet watched.

That should keep me out of mischief this year.  How much of this actually happens, only time will tell.  I'll revisit and let you know at the end of this year.

Oh, and a cognitive goal - have more fun and less perfection - perfection does not exist. Steady improvement and mastery are achievable.  And, I should worry less about what my me-mades look like -  I'm sure they are no worse to  look at than RTW on me.   

Have a great (full)  first week of the year, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz :)




38 comments:

  1. Wow that's alot off your mind. I expect you feel better for that. I dont have a lot of patterns maybe 50, they are frightfully expensive here in the UK, and I find I tend to keep using the same few. I agree I look at new patterns then realise I have something just the same at home. So I would like to sew the ones I haven't used yet hopefully with my small stash of fabric. But alas I am without a sewing machine at the moment so I can only dream about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always bought patterns when they are on sale - they are otherwise too expensive here as well :).

      Yes, I do feel better with things written and out of the head - a trick I learnt from a friend.

      Delete
  2. Big plans! I can't wait to see what you make from that gorgeous red fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired to consider what my 2015 SRs should include. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone has there own method and if a muslin isn't working for you, why continue? Headache, stubbornness, to prove you can do it..?! Probably not worth the trouble so start a new pattern and smile.

    I should also catch up on my Craftsy classes. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, smiling between gritted teeth is the important thing :) :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great goals for 2015 Sarah Liz! Wow, you do have a lot of patterns! I use pinterest to keep track of my pattern stash...I have 183 of them. When I am out looking at patterns I can go to my pinterest page on my phone to see what I already have...it's quite useful and has slowed down my purchasing. Happy New year, I look forward to following you again in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margo - and thanks for the tip about pinterest :)

      Delete
  7. What a great list of goals!

    I like the brutal honesty :) I too will try to buy fewer patterns and fabric but have no goal to STOP completely.

    Good luck with your pants and can't wait to see your pretty red dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, stopping completely is just out of the question for both of us, I think :)

      Delete
  8. Oh Sarah. About the stashing problem! I tried ,in 2014, to reduce my buying fabric only to buy more than ever thanks to subscribing to the Fabricmart and Fashion Fabrics sites!!! . I did reduce my pattern buying by unsubscribing to the BMV website and that did help quite a bit. I'm a pretty hopeless case I'm afraid. But then, we have lots of company don't we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online shopping and fabric subscriptions are such great temptations, I agree. Still, our hobby is at least constructive and productive, so I tend to focus on that aspect :)

      Delete
  9. you are right, a lot pf paterns are very much the same & I've noticed you can take pieces from different ones to create one, oh I shutter to think about going through all my patterns & by the way Hancocks has a sale going on lol! I look forward to seeing what you create , the sewing tips & the History of sewing, I love it when you dip down into the History of things! Happy sewing to you & may your bobbin always be full!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all fall for sales :). I'll try and write more later this year on these sorts of topics, but am flat out in real life at the moment so can't do that right now.

      Delete
  10. I look forward to see all your garments in 2015, especially the red dress that you mentioned above - the fabric is really beautiful :)




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - yes, it is lovely, isn't it :)

      Delete
  11. I've had great success laying a new pattern over one that works to see what's off for me. Maybe that will help you make the needed adjustments easily. My stash resolution for this year is to just use more than I buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often lay patterns over each other, but wanted to do this pattern, as it was sized for petite, from scratch, just to see and feel the differences.

      Delete
  12. I feel that I could have written these goals! Except for the petite part - I've bought a Burda tall pattern to see if that fits better with fewer alterations. Like Louise, I don't have nearly so many patterns, for the same reason largely. I get some 'free' with a magazine subscription - and they really are all so 'samey' and not really my style. I don't have a knit jacket pattern and that's something I'm interested in.
    I have similar blog goals. I only just managed today to work out some issues with my blog - because I'm using 2 email addresses, I was having problems - and may have joined your blog more than once.
    Looking forward to seeing your makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry if you have followed me more than once - I'm always pushing the wrong button with computers!

      Patterns - I buy on sale - and I've popped over to your blog and can see our goals are similar :)

      Delete
  13. I need to get back to making a few pair of pants myself. Looks like you have quite a busy sewing year planned. Looking forward to looking in as I have learned quite a bit from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must be due for pants again, Faye. I'm glad you learn things here :)

      Delete
  14. You have got some impressive goals listed, and even with a stash pledge I still purchased a LOT of fabric last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm better with goals, but that doesn't mean I stick to them :). And with fabric purchases - there seems to be a law that precludes not purchasing them :)

      Delete
  15. I guess it's about identifying and meeting the needs, not the wants or impulsive desires. Which applies to more than fabric or pattern purchases!

    There are fabrics I need to buy for garments I need - namely trousers. There are fabrics I have for garments I have enough of - namely shirts... I also have a few patterns that are disturbingly similar. I have almost bought a pattern I already have, several times.

    A thought provoking post Sarah. I've been strenuously avoiding writing my own reviews & resolutions post, but can see I need to think about resolutions at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those good old needs and wants - I try to fill these in the clothing department.

      And buying more than one pattern - at least you have one to cut up and play with, and one in reserve :)

      Delete
  16. Brilliant goal-setting, Sarah Liz. I have never done this, and my sewing plans are always hap-hazard. Your are inspiring me to think things out ahead, make a few plans, and work through the stash. Love your red fabric, and can't wait to see what emerges with it. Having joined the garment-a-month club, I need to get me organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are either planners or non planners, Patricia :). I do tend to also work intuitively, but with a structure in place. Looking forward to seeing your progress this year :)

      Delete
  17. Sarah, I love this post..
    I so agree, if you muslin a pattern and discover it doesn't work.. get rid of the pattern. No need to keep it.

    I love ,love that red fabric.. I would have to bought it too.ha.. yes.. I say I am going to use up the stash I already have...but in the end...the NEED to purchase a new one...just happens.ha

    I too, bought a couple fitting classes on Craftsy and had not watched them..So, this week, I am using my time to watch them.. I have really been enjoying them.. Wish I would have done it sooner.

    Best wishes on your goals..Look forward to seeing your new pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and I think we are all chronic hoarders of fabric - but you do use a lot for all your community work.

      It's finding time sometimes, isn't it, to watch the Craftsy course?

      Delete
  18. Great plans!! You have a wonderful sewing year ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yes, absolutely have more fun and less perfectionism.... that being said from a fellow perfectionist! Such a burden, no?! :) Love this post and you outlined your thoughts well. These end-of-the-year posts are hard for me to write too, for some reason, but afterwards it feels good to have some sort of structure heading into the new year. You will look beautiful in that red fabric!!! Great choice!!! Look forward to seeing all your lovely makes and learning more from you, again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the most comprehensive list of goals I've seen in the sewing blogs so far, dear SaraLiz. Buying less patterns and reduce fabric stash sounds great. Looking foward in this 2015 to continue learning together. Greetings, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. SOme great plans in there Sarah Liz and I am looking forward to seeing some of those completed projects. Happy 2015 sewing :)x

    ReplyDelete