Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

The Daisy Top - Burda 6914.


This little top is very twee and I don't think it is really me at all.  I was in two minds whether to even make this top, so was a bit blah about it before I started.  I'm also in the middle of a Blah spot in life, so thought maybe that was the problem and not the style itself.

I used Burda 6914.  I did like the look of the pattern, and sort of hoped it would look as sophisticated on me as it does on the photo on the pattern envelope:

Now I wonder what I saw in it - it's really just a big shapeless bag thing - I think the way the models are standing hide the fact that this dress/top bags out at the sides:

Nevertheless, I was determine to make it and make it work.  So I proceeded.

This top has a bound neckline. Never mind that I hate binding anything.  For some reason I hate doing binding - I can do it, it looks good, I hate doing it.  And I did lots of binding in this top - neck, sleeve and armhole seams.

I cut size 36 and added a bit for my prominent chest (not bust - I'm only just a B cup).  The shoulders and neck are spot on.  I also shortened the top by about 2 inches and removed the side splits- the original was more tunic length with side splits.

The fabric used was a cotton lawn, out of my stash, and originally purchased from Spotlight.

I used the selvedge as the back seam finish, and french seams for the side and sleeve seams. The sleeve was darted, but this just gave a sharp shape which I did not think worked with this lightweight lawn:

So I removed the dart and just pleated this area instead.

The pattern used a facing for the sleeve hem.  I did not think this was a good idea with lawn as all the little hand hemming stitches would pull and be quite obvious.  So I decided to use a binding instead.  I also bound the armhole seam.  Lots of tedious binding, but it looked good.

I did have a small mishap -I forgot to interface the split at the back of the garment.  They never tell you to do this in the instructions, and as I was feeling blah, I did not think of this step.  Never mind, I can always solve a problem -I stitched a button over the area.  Then it looked wrong.  So I added some little daisies as a back detail:


I also added a daisy opposite the button closure on the neck band.  Now you know why I called this The Daisy Top :).  For every problem there is a solution...

And it's absolutely years since I have done one of these thread loopy closure thingies:


Now the photos, feeling quite unlike myself in this top:

Front
Side
Back.
I'm glad I added the back detail - I think that the baggy back sort of needs it.

I am glad I made this top though - I would always have wondered about it.  I also think this would be a nice top for summer outings.  I did find this year that I needed a top that was a little more resort, and I did not have one. This will fill that wardrobe gap nicely, even if it does not get worn often.

It will also be lovely in hot weather - and twee and cool is better than fitted and hot and bothered.

I may even get to like it...

Sarah Liz :)




35 comments:

  1. I like your twee little top, but I do feel the neckline is too high for you. Just my opinion, I know it would strangle me. Love the added daisies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kathy, I agree, it's a very high neckline - if you look at the pattern it is on that as well. I thought about lowering it but the pleats would have got lost. It actually does not feel tight on, it's quite okay to wear, which surprised me,as I thought it would be uncomfortable around the neck. I think for housework and chores it would be annoying, but for going out it will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kathy, it is a sweet top though and I love that little back detail you added, it finishes it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the colour is fabulous. It might be a top that goes well with a cardi when the weather cools down a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the colour as well, and I think this will look nice with a cardi over it too :)

      Delete
  5. I like your top. Love the detail on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made a sweet and handy top, Sarah Liz, and I like the daisy details. I never knew we were supposed to interface a back slit - you learn something new every day :) Great to see the little loop closure - I enjoy making them, and saw them featured on the Great British Sewing Bee this week. I think this pattern has a useful life, and would like to see it as a dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I like to interface fine fabrics so that the fabric does not give way around the stitches. I agree, loop closures are nice to make, once you have got the hang of them again. I may even make this into a dress one day before I decide I don't like it :)

      Delete
  7. I like this little top and think it would be very nice against white pants or a printed challis skirt. The shape is a bit ballooning, but you are so slender it is a non issue. Perhaps a belt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right, a nice little skirt would work, and I am thinking of making a little cheesecloth one next year (it's hard to get a nice challis here). I think I shall not worry about the balloon shape - it is supposed to be like that after all :)

      Delete
  8. Love the closure! And I hate binding too! :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - and I'm glad I am not the only one :)

      Delete
  9. I can see what you mean. I agree that the neckline looks rather high. Love your details! I hope you enjoy wearing it more than you enjoyed making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I think I will enjoy wearing it, especially when I am looking for something that is cool for a very hot day :)

      Delete
  10. I hope you start loving it.. I really think it is cute.. And blue looks so pretty on you.. You really are great with details..the back opening, just made this cute little top. I bet the dress version would be cool
    and comfortable??
    Sorry about the 'blah feeling".. I have been having those days too.. Hopefully, we will both be in full swing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, the blue is a colour that suits me, so this top will get worn - and there may be a dress too - as you know, in hot, humid climates the cool factor is more important than the look factor on a 100 degree and 100% humidity day.

      Sorry to hear you have been a bit "blah"as well - lets hope that soon passes for both of us.

      Delete
  11. I like the top.. the little daisies are so cool. I think I'd prefer the neckline a little lower but I do like the look on others. Sounds like you are liking it more. A dress would be lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I am considering a dress next summer :)

      Delete
  12. It is a lovely top and I love those daisies :)

    I use to work with BurdaStyle and I love most of their pattern but honestly their instructions are not so clear. So, in the end I have to use my self-taught to deal with certain issue.

    Anyway, sorry for your blah feeling. Hope it will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - the Blahs will pass soon I am sure.

      Yes, I often have to use my sewing knowledge (such as it is) to work out what to do with Burda patterns :)

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear you are in one of those pesky blah times, and yes I think it puts a damper on the way we perceive things. I think this top and the color is rather lovely on you, and those little daisies are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, perceptions are always the key :)

      Delete
  14. There are many things I like about your little top. The colour is fabulous, like what you did with the sleeves. If you have to go somewhere on a hot summer day and a t-shirt is not 'enough' this would be perfect and cool. The neckline is higher than most, but I like it. What if the front neck pleats were pressed crisply? or even stitched down as a detail? that bit of pouffy in front on my chest would make me unhappy I think. All in all a win I would say. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, this is a great t-shirt substitute for hot days. The neck isn't actually uncomfortable, even though high, which surprised me. I'm so flat the pouf doesn't bother me too much - but I agree, stitching down would look good.

      Delete
  15. It's always, well to me anyway, hard to tell what a pattern will 'really' look like until it's made up. The models seem to stand in such a way to hide any 'negative' aspect of the garment. I hope you grow to like it and are able to wear it sometimes and feel 'ok' about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sound like me with books! Once I start a book, I am quite determined to finish it even if it is horrid. With my sewing, I usually see a garment through until the end but I can count a couple of times where I gave up.

    I have to tell you that the color and back details really make this simple top special. If you really do not like it, maybe some one else will love it! Hope you can chase the blahs away -- I know they catch up with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do the same Annie:). With books and sewing. I will toss muslins out if I think they are not going to work, but once a garment is cut I try and finish it.

      I think we all occasionally get the blahs.

      Delete
  17. Cute top and the colour is definitely you and those daisies are perfect. I do fee that there is too much fabric, as Kate B has suggested maybe stitch the pleats down and see how it looks, that could be what is not looking rights at lawn is a stiffer fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the colour is perfect. There is too much fabric, but I think that is the style of top. I prefer more fitted - but I think this top will be just right for very hot days.

      Delete
  18. I love yuour top - great colour on you too.

    I've tried emailing all day and either my school board email is messed up or I don't have your correct email address. Anyway, you won the January 1979 issue of Burda so send me your address and I will post this tomorrow. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that's lovely. I have posted a comment on your blog, or if you look back here, my email is stylishsarah251@gmail.com

      Delete