Everyone sews at a different pace depending on energy levels and other life demands. This month I was able to make three simple tops and one pair of pants. Which was an okay effort for a blah feeling sort of month.
So, the round up:
The first top is not really me -the colour is - but I think it will be cute to wear on a hot day.
The second two tops are more me.
And the pants are very me.
In total, I managed to sew 7 metres of fabric from my stash. Unfortunately, I stashed a few metres more:
This is only a small part of the stash accrual during January; there was more. I'm not sure how much, but I do know that I am now turning to me stash first in order to sew, rather than stashing more fabric in lieu of sewing. And all purchase were made because they go with other fabrics or are in colours or patterns I need to consider wearing more.
And of course, there was BeaJay's lovely silk satin seersucker:
So overall, it has been quite a good month for the stash!
BUT - my days of stashing have been curtailed. I am going to boycott my local Spotlight. They are very prone to short measuring fabrics. This has happened once too often. My requested 1.55 metres of a fabric the other day barely measure 1.5 on one side and 1.45 on the other when I checked it at home. This is not good enough - and it happens regularly. I deserve better than this as a customer. I'm fairly tolerant, but when I say no more, I mean it. I will still purchase patterns on sale, and threads, interfacings and so on from Spotlight, but fabrics, no.
Do you have similar problems when you purchase fabric?
As for pattern buying, I have been quite restrained. This was because I had pinned all my patterns on Pinterest.
AND: found that I had 496 patterns.
I say rather sheepishly and guiltily, over many years. And usually on sale. That is quite enough for anyone. So I decided I really needed to work through these and find out what works, and what doesn't. And that I didn't really need much more.
Then I saw a cowl neck top which has been on my list for years - I've never been able to find it:
So I chose another top (for stable knits) - I think this will be really useful as well:
|Butterick 6111. Connie Crawford|
So now I had 499 patterns. I'm sure half are duds - meaning they won't suit me or are a poor design, so I must start trying them and weed them out.
Somehow a BurdaStyle managed to sneak into my shopping bag when I was in the Newsagent. I paid for it of course:).
I finally got around to viewing the Craftsy course I enrolled in over twelve months ago - Gail Yellen's class, 40 Techniques every Sewer Should Know. I found out that I knew most of the techniques. I suppose the class reassured me that I was an okay sewer and just need to keep on practicing.
So, that was my sewing January. Fairly low key as my mojo was a little low and the first two garments I had to fight the blahs. I think I needed a rest after all the tribulations of 2014. Anyway, I have now de-blahhed.
On to February....I won't be able to sew many things in February as I have a backlog of paperwork to attend to in the office - and my own personal paperwork - before I get back to study at the end of February. I think I'll start with working out a trouser shape that suits me and work from there.
Wishing you a wonderful sewing February as well.