Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

January Review

 

Everyone sews at a different pace depending on energy levels and other life demands.  This month I was able to make three simple tops and one pair of pants.  Which was an okay effort for a blah feeling sort of month.  

So, the round up:

The first top is not really me -the colour is - but I think it will be cute to wear on a hot day.  

The second two tops are more me.

And the pants are very me.





In total, I managed to sew 7 metres of fabric from my stash.  Unfortunately, I stashed a few metres more:



This is only a small part of the stash accrual during January; there was more.  I'm not sure how much, but I do know that I am now turning to me stash first in order to sew, rather than stashing more fabric in lieu of sewing.  And all purchase were made because they go with other fabrics or are in colours or patterns  I need to consider wearing more.

Progress indeed.


And of course, there was BeaJay's lovely silk satin seersucker:


So overall, it has been quite a good month for the stash!

BUT - my days of stashing have been curtailed.  I am going to boycott my local Spotlight.  They are very prone to short measuring fabrics.  This has happened once too often.  My requested 1.55 metres of a fabric the other day barely measure 1.5 on one side and 1.45 on the other when I checked it at home. This is not good enough - and it happens regularly.  I deserve better than this as a customer.  I'm fairly tolerant, but when I say no more, I mean it. I will still purchase patterns on sale, and threads, interfacings and so on from Spotlight, but fabrics, no.

Do you have similar problems when you purchase fabric?  


*****

As for pattern buying, I have been quite restrained. This was because I had pinned all my patterns on   Pinterest.

AND:  found that I had  496 patterns. 
 
I say rather sheepishly and guiltily, over many years.  And usually on sale. That is quite enough for anyone.  So I decided I really needed to work through these and find out what works, and what doesn't.  And that I didn't really need much more.

Then I saw a cowl neck top which has been on my list for years - I've never been able to find it:

I think this will be such a smart top that will have many uses.  And as Butterick patterns were 3 for $10 I needed two more.

So I chose another top (for stable knits) - I think this will be really useful as well:

And a little suit - which I would not have purchased, but you have to have three patterns for the $10 deal.  Otherwise $20.99 each.  This is a mathematically easy decision to make.  So I added this pattern as the third:

Butterick 6111.  Connie Crawford
The last pattern looks as though it would work better as separated - as a little suit it looks a bit on the dowdy side.  I think the proportions are not quite right.   I think the jacket would  look nice as a cardigan jacket, and maybe the skirt in a lightweight denim with a nice jumper.

So now I had 499 patterns.  I'm sure half are duds - meaning they won't suit me or are a poor design, so I must start trying them and weed them out.

Somehow a BurdaStyle managed to sneak into my shopping bag when I was in the Newsagent.  I paid for it of course:). 

***** 
 I finally got around to viewing the Craftsy course I enrolled in over twelve months ago - Gail Yellen's class, 40 Techniques every Sewer Should Know.   I found out that I knew most of the techniques. I suppose the class reassured me that I was an okay sewer and just need to keep on practicing.

So, that was my sewing January.  Fairly low key as my mojo was a little low and the first two garments I had to fight the blahs.  I think I needed a rest after all the tribulations of 2014.  Anyway, I have now de-blahhed.

On to February....I won't be able to sew many things in February as I  have a backlog of paperwork to attend to in the office - and my own personal paperwork - before I get back to study at the end of February.  I think I'll start with working out a trouser shape that suits me and work from there.

Wishing you a wonderful sewing February as well.

Sarah Liz






18 comments:

  1. So glad you are now "de-blahhed" and on to a new month as well! :) And completely agree with your math reasoning on purchasing those patterns. Makes perfect sense to me too! Enjoyed your post and you're always a source of inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I own those first two Buttericks! :-D

    You had some great projects this month and look forward to February!

    Now with regards to fabric - I pretty much have stopped wasting my time trying to buy fabic at JoAnn. It's all overpriced and the quality just isn't there. Hancock is slightly better but I will never buy another knit there. Will not waste my money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for shortcuts, I've boycotted Fabric.com for this very reason. I had SEVERAL instances where I was shortcut or say a 3 yard order was not cut as continuous yardage. So annoying.

      Delete
    2. I think a lot of fabric shops have gone the way of cheap quality that is ovepriced, and with lousy service. Shortcutting seems to be common - and what a nerve, giving you 3 years in two pieces. Offloads their problem onto you.

      Delete
  3. Not bad for a blah month! Good luck with finding your trouser shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad for a blah month! Good luck with finding your trouser shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - we will be working in tandem almost on trousers this year :)

      Delete
  5. I like those two Butterick tops, they are very me also. I will have to look out for them next time there is a sale. My pattern stash nowhere near equals yours and some date back to when I was a teenager. I do buy new ones but find myself more and more digging through the old ones for inspiration. Haven't bought any fabric for at least a year and yes I have had some terrible cuts from Spotlight but it is my only nearest source for fabric so I just keep an eagle eye on the cutting process and have been known to twitch the fabric straight before the scissors descend. :) Look forward to your trouser quest in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I have to admit I overbought patterns when they started being 3 for $10. Many don't suit me and I will have to find out which and cull them down to sensible TNT's. I agree, older patterns are sometimes more useable than some of today's patterns. I have to twitch fabric sometimes too.

      Delete
  6. We've talked about Spotlight before... I have bagged the 2 fabrics that are poor quality (pilling ponte and laminated fabric that runs) and taking it back even though I bought it ages ago. I also have been short changed 10 cm on one side of a piece of denim from Lincraft.

    I have made the cowl neck Butterick ... it's a nice pattern... I must make another. I'm sure I have that many patterns and I think I will get rid of them when I've made them. Overall I think you've had a good month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had a quite a discussion. I had no idea that Spotlight's Ponte pilled - they charge $16.99 for it. I agree, Lincraft is also good at shortcutting meterage.

      I agree, some patterns do need to go once they are made - especially if they are not flattering or not likely to be made again.

      Delete
  7. So funny that you got to spend seven meters of fabric and add a few more meters to your stash, I think this is common among seamstresses. All you sewed the garments are so beautiful, you did a great job in January ... looking foward for the month of February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rosy, I do think perhaps we all stash this way :)

      Delete
  8. Wowza! 499 patterns -- that is amazing. I am going to hit up my local fabric shop tomorrow where Simplicity and Butterick patterns are dirt cheap. I understand how easy it is buy and 'collect' (for this is what I do sometimes) patterns. I love your January makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did collect a lot of patterns over time Annie - and I need to cull the won't work for me ones. I think pattern hoarding is a harmless thing to do, so long as one can afford it :)

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about the inaccurate cutting. I admit it hasn't happened to me at spotlight but it happened at clear it and my sewing group friends have complained about it at cleggs so I suppose it is quite common. I have about 200 patterns in envelopes but they don't take up too much room so I'm leaving them for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Cleggs - and that is not a cheap store. Some Spotlights are better than others, I think, with fabric cutting. And some staff. I know a couple of overseas bloggers have also had the same problem. It never used to happen years ago, so I suppose it is a sign of the changing times.

      Delete