Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

The Total Avoidance Pants Project...




 For about 18 months now I have avoided making a pair of more formal pants although I will churn out casual pants quite happily.  I guess casual pants have been used for learning how to make and fit pants, what my body shape is, and what sort of pants might suit it.

These pants were made using McCall's pattern 6711:


I have made this pant as a trial version and as a pants sloper with which to assess other trouser patterns.  I made these pants in exactly the same way as the trial pair, including adding extra to the back waistband in case alterations are needed around the middle - a very common problem area for some of us :)

You can find the post about the trial run pants, including crotch alteration, here.....

For those of you that just want the bare information, the pants are darted front and back, have pockets, and I added a front zip/false fly, and a waistband instead of a faced waist.  I cut size 8 legs and graded up to 14 waist.

The pants  were made in a (stashed) polyester viscose woven gabardine -- although there is a lot more drape to this gabardine than some.  The trousers in the picture on the pattern envelope also look as though they have quite a bit of drape to them.

Now the pictures - and I am wearing glasses, as it is more than likely that is what I would also be wearing with these pants :) .  I am also wearing flat shoes, because much as I like the sort of shoes the model is wearing, I like them on other people - my feet and back would not tolerate wearing these.  I'm a little flat shoe wearer.






The pants are nice to wear, with much needed ease around the upper leg.  This is quite needed as the lower leg from knee down is quite fitted.  In fact, if you are wearing knee length trouser stocking sock things, you need to put these on before putting the trousers on.  I didn't know that, so mine are just tucked up above the ankle in these shots - but you can't see that!  I kept the pants shortish - just like the pattern picture - as with very tapered pants you stay short - there is not enough fullness for a break.  And being petite, short tends to suit me.


So, I am now over avoiding making more formal pants.  Probably just as well, because there is no way you can find RTW pants that are 33.5  inch around the hip and 27.75 inch (give or take an inch) around the waist.  My me-made pants may not be perfect, but at least they are closer to my shape and size.

And with my straight figure type, I  can get away with many styles of trousers - so now I am able to start exploring these styles and making them up :)

Do have a lovely weekend, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz






42 comments:

  1. Great looking pants and can't wait to see what other styles you come up with as I think this one looks perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - I agree, this is going to be my TNT pants shape.

      Delete
  2. Sensational! well done and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pants look great! You can now make many more in different colours and fabrics. And I agree with you regarding the flat shoes. I can't walk in anything higher than 2 inches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it's great having a basic pattern you can alter just be different fabric choices. I agree, two inches max, special occasions only :)

      Delete
  4. These look great. Nice outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pants look wonderful, Sarah Liz, modern looking and a beautiful fit. I'm with you re the flat shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, flat shoes are saviours :)

      Delete
  6. Wearing glasses and a less casual top together with your different stance made these trousers look more formal before I even looked at them! Well done for grasping the nettle. Some of my stocking things for trousers are called knee hi's though they aren't usually (knee high that is). I, too, mainly wear flat shoes, for the same reasons. Good luck and have fun with your future style experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I believe the stocking socks are called knee highs - with your height they certainly would not be.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great. I have just purchased this pattern, I haven't made trousers for a long time, so pleased to see them made up. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - good luck with your attempt - do muslin first:)

      Delete
  10. Your comments are especially helpful as I am planning to make a pair of pants in March, maybe two if it goes well. Your shoes are lovely; will you share name/source/etc.? Thanks so much, and I hope you enjoy making your next pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra - and good luck with your plans. I live in Australia, so I don't know if your will be able to find shoes like this where you are. They are by Diana Ferrari, the supersoft range. I purchased them at Mathers, but Diana Ferrari also sells them.

      Delete
  11. A very good looking pants and it suit you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done these look great. What an achievement to master the formal pants - im sure you will make many more now that you have the right style and fit sorted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - over time I certainly will make more :)

      Delete
  13. These look lovely on you. My, you are so slim!! :) And Im with you on the shoes, there is no way I could wear the models shoes all day (or even half a day for that matter!) Great job Sarah Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - and I couldn't manage those shoes 5minutes :)

      Delete
  14. Wow these look amazing well done

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turned out nicely after all of the nips, tucks, and everything in between. I like this style of pant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it is a very classic line.

      Delete
  16. These are fantastic.. Look great on you.. I love that top too..The total outfit is just too cute.. Congrats on mastering the pants.
    I agree, I cant wear those heels either [too many years walking on those concrete floors in the hospital.ha]. Yo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, I agree, working in hospitals means we have never learnt to wear these sorts of shoes :)

      Delete
  17. Your pants are very smart, Sarah Liz, worth all the toiles and tweaks to get a pattern to fit well and look good. I like the stripey shirt as well, you look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - I'm looking forward to also seeing your progess with your pants project :)

      Delete
  18. I like them! These are smart and can be dressed up or down...at least you have a pants pattern that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - I agree, you only need one pattern that works - which you can then modify slightly. I like dress up/dressdown garments - allows the most versatility.

      Delete
  19. You look as though you've hit the jack pot. They really do look nice.

    ReplyDelete