Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Finished Nightshirts and February Review


February has been a bit of a blah month with a visit from my old friend, chronic sinusitis.  After some assertive management, I seem to be on the mend, which is just as well, because I officially start study tomorrow.  So for the next few months sewing will be focused on simple projects that I can sew each day as a reward for doing my study. 

This month I managed to make four garments - and two of these were nightshirts for DH.  They will be a gift for his birthday in May. 


I had to do quite a few buttonholes, and did not use my domestic machine  which does an automatic computerised buttonhole, but opted for operator skill on my heavy duty machine.  I thought it would do a better job of making a buttonhole that has to last a few years:


Not easy to do when you  have a sore face and head :).  Everything has to be measured and drawn, but the stitching is always very even - but you do have to be careful  not to accidentally move left or right of the line you have drawn.  I always use this machine for very thick fabrics like coating wool that tends to be too thick for some machines.   So - I like to keep in practice on garments like nightshirts that don't matter so much, just for when I need to use this skill on something that does matter.

As I have had time over the last few weeks to solve sewing problems, I decided to go back to solving my pants fitting dilemma.  I'm starting to get there.


Pattern used was McCall's 6711.

 

In total, 4 garments.  I used up 11.1 metres of stash.

Now, About the Stash.  I may have used up 11.1 metres - but also purchased a  lot of stash. 22.5metres  in fact.  Double the amount I used. Quite justifiably though (isn't that what we all say ??)

8 metres of flannelette to replace DH's nightshirts in a few years time.  Why stash now?  Because usually when I go to buy something even as basic as a plain flannelette, it will not be in stock.  So the scarcity principle operates.  buy it now while it is in stock and stash it.

AND  5 metres of pure cotton knit, going out cheaply, to stash for replacement nighties for myself one day.  I stashed this,because my local store does not have cheap cotton knit often, and if I order it by mail, the freight costs quite a bit.

Yellow for me, Blue for him

I also stashed some cotton/nylon/elastane knit - 5 metres.  Why? Because it is similar to a ponte weight and was only $3.00 per metre.  It was also in a colour I like.  I'll use this for wearable muslins - knits can be quite expensive, so if I find something cheap I tend to stash it so I have something that is not too expensive  to use as a muslin fabric.  

I also stashed 3.5 metres of cotton poplin, navy with white polka dots.  Why?  Because I have not seen this in stock for about three years.  I stashed then, but that bit of stash has been whittled down, so I thought I would stash this  while it is around.  The scarcity principle again.


I also decided that I did not like this top at all:


Yes, the Twee Top has gone.  I feel relieved that I won't have to wear it or pretend to like it.  I do think that I can modify this top to make something that I do like.  One of the main problems was ironing the sleeves - cotton lawn and puffy, pleated sleeves are an ironing nightmare.  Fifteen minutes of ironing and just as many wrinkles as ever. But now it has Gone from my life.  Hooray :)


And I fixed a garment.  This knit cardigan was purchased some time ago and I had not worn it.  I pulled it out to wear the other day and noticed that there was a ladder all down the back.  Because the pattern was so busy, I did not notice when I bought it.  I don't have the receipt anymore, so I couldn't take it back.  So I improved the cardigan instead by adding a designer feature down the back - a strip of cotton lace that matches the lace ruffles:



That's my February roundup. I find it quite helpful to write these, because it forces you to think more about what you want to achieve with sewing.  Besides stashing.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week....

Sarah Liz




24 comments:

  1. A good productive month for you and a clever sneaky fix for your cardigan. How annoying to find a flaw after the receipt has disappeared. I hope you'll forgive me if I say I'm pleased the Twee Top is gone. You have made much nicer tops. Also your pants are a triumph, did you make the lovely stripey shirt as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly forgive you Kathy - you share my sentiments. I didn't make the striped shirt - one day I will make one :)

      Delete
  2. You have been very productive - even with your ails. Love that striped top. Did you make that too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay. The top is RTW, but I want to make one like this one day, when I find the fabric.

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe of so much productivity. I keep making woeful wadders.

    All the best with the studying - here's to a good year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll raise my glass with you - good luck with your study as well.

      Wadders - they are good practice....

      Delete
  4. I still like that dark blue top. Good luck with study and the balance this semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice but sadly was just not me - and thank you :)

      Delete
  5. You had a wonderful sewing month and made some great pieces Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your February was very productive-I love the cardi fix. How clever of you! As for the twee top...good riddance. I have been ruthless lately also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - ruthless can be hard sometimes especially with me mades, but it does clear the space...

      Delete
  7. Sarahliz.. so sorry you have been sick ,hope it is all better and not to return..[I too, have been battling asthma this entire month.].
    Best wishes on your studies.
    Love your pants. You did a great job on the fitting.. They look nice on you.
    I really liked your twee top.. but.. if you didn't --best to get rid of it, and move forward. You have done some really cute tops this year.
    Happy sewing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - sorry to hear you have been under the weather as well - wishes for your speedy recovery.

      I agree the top was pretty ...but....!!

      Delete
  8. Hope you feel better especially starting back to study (Good luck by the way!). I think that if you find fabric a decent price, you should grab it up! Your stash should ebb and flow, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I'm a firm believer in a good ebb especially :)

      Delete
  9. Sarah Liz, I think you've been making good decisions about fabric acquisition, the twee top, and sewing ahead for your husband's b'day,,, especially in the face of being under the weather. I like the idea of your monthly summary. I'm going to ponder that and maybe do that myself. And best wishes in your studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, for all your thoughts. Quite a few people do monthly summaries - I was in two minds, but they do help keep one on track of sewing progress:)

      Delete
  10. You sure had a good sewing month, Sarah Liz. The pants are fabulous, as are the night shirts and it must feel good to have the birthday sorted so early. Good luck for the semester: I sort of envy you the excitement of a return to uni. I loved uni so much, the best thing I ever did apart from getting married and having children :)
    I need to follow your example in stashing. When I need a calico I never have anything much to use, but I am now eyeing off some old sheets, and you have also shown me what to do for a stretch calico - buy it cheap when on sale! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I have to admit Uni at my age is not so much fun, what with working and do the domestic side. I did enjoy my arts degree more - that was internal. I'm distance now, so it is more a matter of discipline :). Still, there is a sense of finishing something I started - and that is important to me :)

      Delete
  11. Your reasons for stashing are sound. My reason for stashing is because I have a problem! LOL

    You had a very good month! I especially like the outfit with striped shirt and pants - very casual chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L - and I must write about some of my unsound stashing habits one day :)

      Delete
  12. You had a productive Feb. Stashing lets us be creative/productive when the urge hits. And you stashed some great basic fabrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that is the best part of stashing - especially when the urge to find the next project starts late at night :)

      Delete