February has been a bit of a blah month with a visit from my old friend, chronic sinusitis. After some assertive management, I seem to be on the mend, which is just as well, because I officially start study tomorrow. So for the next few months sewing will be focused on simple projects that I can sew each day as a reward for doing my study.
This month I managed to make four garments - and two of these were nightshirts for DH. They will be a gift for his birthday in May.
As I have had time over the last few weeks to solve sewing problems, I decided to go back to solving my pants fitting dilemma. I'm starting to get there.
In total, 4 garments. I used up 11.1 metres of stash.
Now, About the Stash. I may have used up 11.1 metres - but also purchased a lot of stash. 22.5metres in fact. Double the amount I used. Quite justifiably though (isn't that what we all say ??)
8 metres of flannelette to replace DH's nightshirts in a few years time. Why stash now? Because usually when I go to buy something even as basic as a plain flannelette, it will not be in stock. So the scarcity principle operates. buy it now while it is in stock and stash it.
AND 5 metres of pure cotton knit, going out cheaply, to stash for replacement nighties for myself one day. I stashed this,because my local store does not have cheap cotton knit often, and if I order it by mail, the freight costs quite a bit.
|Yellow for me, Blue for him|
I also stashed some cotton/nylon/elastane knit - 5 metres. Why? Because it is similar to a ponte weight and was only $3.00 per metre. It was also in a colour I like. I'll use this for wearable muslins - knits can be quite expensive, so if I find something cheap I tend to stash it so I have something that is not too expensive to use as a muslin fabric.
I also stashed 3.5 metres of cotton poplin, navy with white polka dots. Why? Because I have not seen this in stock for about three years. I stashed then, but that bit of stash has been whittled down, so I thought I would stash this while it is around. The scarcity principle again.
I also decided that I did not like this top at all:
Yes, the Twee Top has gone. I feel relieved that I won't have to wear it or pretend to like it. I do think that I can modify this top to make something that I do like. One of the main problems was ironing the sleeves - cotton lawn and puffy, pleated sleeves are an ironing nightmare. Fifteen minutes of ironing and just as many wrinkles as ever. But now it has Gone from my life. Hooray :)
And I fixed a garment. This knit cardigan was purchased some time ago and I had not worn it. I pulled it out to wear the other day and noticed that there was a ladder all down the back. Because the pattern was so busy, I did not notice when I bought it. I don't have the receipt anymore, so I couldn't take it back. So I improved the cardigan instead by adding a designer feature down the back - a strip of cotton lace that matches the lace ruffles:
That's my February roundup. I find it quite helpful to write these, because it forces you to think more about what you want to achieve with sewing. Besides stashing.
Wishing everyone a wonderful week....