Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

A Shirt in Haste


Somehow this week I have nearly completed two assignments (one to rework, one to just edit and send upline and made this shirt  this week- rather in haste at night, so my technique is not the best.  And my technique is never up to best with knits in any case - I'm still getting the hang of them.



 Image result for mccalls 7018

llll
Line Drawing
I decided to use a stable knit for this shirt as it had details that are shirt-like, if that makes sense, and knits and I are not friends at the best of time, so I thought it would be a good idea to make this in something that wasn't going to give me too hard a time.

The fabric used is a combed cotton, from Spotlight.  It's warm and cosy.

The first thing I did was to make a muslin:

The shirt was far too long, so I removed 1 and 3/4 inches. The sleeves were too long as well, so I shortened them 1 1/4 inches over two L/S lines on the sleeve pattern piece.

The shoulders were too wide:

So I altered this area of the pattern and removed half an inch.

I didn't like the feel of the yoke across my back, so I joined the yoke piece to the back of the shirt - in short, I removed it.  The shirt was too long, so I removed 1 and 3/4 inches and then thought the curve was both too long and too extreme, so I shortened and reshaped that as well.

Then I cut the shirt.  I thought it would be an easy sew, but the first thing it did was misbehave.  My two front pieces, carefully cut on the grain, and I checked that the knit really was straight, decided to curve in a 30 degree bend.  Lots of pulling and tugging later, and I had them straight.  Then I recut the neck area.  Strangely, it seems to  sit nicely now I have finished it, but at first I thought I had an instant wadder.

The only other alteration I made was to raise the top buttonhole, and to use 5 buttons instead of 4.  It looks better.  I thought I would have a real problem making the buttonholes, but they turned out perfectly - and I didn't even need a stabilizer.  I can't easily show you because the flash washes out any detail on white.

Okay, now the views:



You can clearly see my more gently curved shirt tail in the photo above - which is a more classic length, or so I like to think, in any case.  And I can cover it with a longer cardigan.

Okay, so this is my shirt made in haste -far from perfect - but, made in haste, won't go to waste.  I know I will wear this a lot this winter, imperfections and all.


I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy and Blessed Easter.

Take Care, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz














46 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, it's so nice. All your alterations really worked. I think you got it just right. It looks great even if it was made in haste. Funny- you're trying to work with knits, I'm trying to work with wovens. Sometimes I wonder why we challenge ourselves so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great alterations on the shirt. It turned out nicely and suit you perfectly :)
    I never think to sew a shirt with knit, my fear is the buttonholes in knit fabric. Maybe I should try one day :)

    Wishing you a Happy and Blessed Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana- I think the buttonholes worked on this because there were three layers and I also used a very firm knit. Perhaps practice some on scraps?

      Delete
  3. That was a lot of alterations but they were worth it. Your finished shirt fits you very well and the knit will make it comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - I agree, the comfort factor attracted me )

      Delete
  4. The fit of your shirt looks great. And a white button down is always a useful wardrobe item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - and I agree, a white shirt is essential...

      Delete
  5. This is really nice! I commend you for working through this pattern---knits and a somewhat tailored look are a difficult marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - as you say, a structured look and a knit are like mixing oil and water :)

      Delete
  6. Great fit! You have two really pretty tops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm. I love the pink fabric! Is it combed cotton too? I didn't realise that combed cotton was counted as a knit; I'd've assumed it was a woven. Anyway, looks good. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Unfortunately, the pink was a cheap polyester, and not nice to sew or wear, so I use it for muslins. I do have a nice pink cotton knit in the stash to make up one day :)

      Delete
  8. Very pretty! I know you had issues, but it turned out lovely and looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes it was worth persevering :)

      Delete
  9. for a min there I thought you's stepped out of the balck & white mode & made a pink top lol! , altering patterns can always take time & patience, well worth it it looks great!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen - and yes, still Black and white :)

      Delete
  10. Sarahliz, so happy that you got the two papers done. yea.. And happy you got to do some sewing.. That always makes you feel better.ha
    I really like that pattern.. Looks like it would be comfortable too. Really pretty on you.. Happy sewing and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. Yes, this is a lovely pattern - it will go in the to be used again pile :)

      Delete
  11. The shirt looks lovely, Sarah Liz, and I really like the gentle curved hem. I don't think I'd dare make a shirt from a knit, but you make it look so easy! Well done on the two papers - you are getting stuck into it, good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - this pattern was designed for knits and is quite simple to sew :)

      Delete
  12. Happy Easter! Enjoy the weekend ~ I think you have made a great shirt that will get a lot of wear. Great tweaks and altering to make a super fit ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Judith, nice to see you in the blogosphere - I've been wondering about you :) - and thank you :)

      Delete
  13. A very useful item that will get lots of use. I'm glad for you it isn't a wadder - a nice bonus when you think it won't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, wadders are no fun, especially when you like the fabric.

      Delete
  14. This is a perfect length. All of your changes seem to work out well. Too bad the pink fabric didn't work. I really like the color.on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette - I have a nice pink cotton I can make this up in one day .

      Delete
  15. A very useful shirt and only those that read your blog know of its imperfections. Enjoy wearing it as it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Without mentioning it, who would know? =)

      This is a good top for its simplicity and fitting/alteration lessons learned.

      Delete
    2. I agree - we sewers though do like to share our frustrations though :).

      Delete
  16. I think it looks great too! Maybe you and knits are learning how to get along?! Amazed how quickly you worked that up. Good luck with your studies and hope you and your husband had a wonderful Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - lets say, knits and I have an uneasy relationship still but are learning to accommodate each other :)

      Delete
  17. Love your shirt. Such great alterations from the toile. Turned out a great fit. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressed with the persevered alterations. Looks a nice pattern and a great staple. Happy Easter too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes it is a great basic :)

      Delete
  19. A very nice shirt, your alterations to the pattern really worked well. I have never thought of making a knit shirt though. I love working with knits as I find them so comfortable to wear - I'm sure your shirt will be very comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I doubt I would have thought of a knit shirt either but this pattern was designed for them, and I thought, what a good idea :)

      Delete
  20. Wow! Dear Liz, all such alterations on the muslin made a perfect shirt on you love the fit and the hem is so original and fun. Happy Easter to you too, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosy - yes, worth the effort :)

      Delete
  21. You did a great job of fitting this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree that you did a good job fitting -- I would have thrown in the towel! Even with all the imperfections, the shirt looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - and I nearly did throw in the towel but reminded myself that 1. I liked the look of the pattern. 2. I liked the knit, 3. The knit wasn't cheap. And 4. the best reason - I wanted it :)

      Delete
  23. Thats a lovely shirt . I would never have thought to make a shirt in a knit. Fabric looks lovely Sarah Liz. But I have to ask, how did you finish the hem? Hope you had a lovely Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. The hem, sleeves and bottom of bodice is 5/8 inch turned over twice - i.e. turn over 1/4 then turn again and hem with a straight stitch. Unbelievably it worked - but I was using a stable knit. x :)

      Delete