Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Into the Eye of the Storm



This week I returned from Residential School and was greeted by a fierce storm.  Power went out about 0200 on Monday night.    I awoke on Tuesday to the fury of very fierce winds and rain.  Our intrepid receptionist had gone to work as her power was out and she knew the hospital where the rooms are situated would have emergency generator power - she wanted her coffee!  That was wonderful, because she cancelled all the patients.  I asked her to go home early while it was still daylight. Luckily I have a gas cook top, so I could cook and boil water.

Then  I noticed the drip and hastily put a container under it:


The drip seemed quite large:


 So, as DH was at home, all patients cancelled, we went into the roof space to see what the problem was:


As you can see from the light, two slate tiles have come out.

We put a large container under the hole.  Later that night we bucketed it out - no fun for DH who had to bend double in that part of the rood.  I had to stand on the roof ladder and take the bucket and empty it, and then hand it back.

There was also a small leak over my cutting table:

I was sure that things would settle down the next day. DH had to go and see some hospital patients, even though the roads were awful.  To take my mind off things (and to distract myself from worrying about John) I decided to cut out a garment by torchlight:



  I felt sure the power would go on that night, because it had been out for so long by then.   I wanted to start sewing it after study the next 

The next day the power was still off.   I thought it had to go on in a few hours, but no.  It was still raining, so we needed to drain the tub sitting in the roof space.  DH had a stroke of genius and syphoned the water out of the tub - an awful job, as he crawled on the roof timbers, and as you would know, close to the eaves, there is no room to even kneel.  He poked the tube through the eaves:


And drained the tub.  Amazing what a Consultant Physician can do - I said you put in a chest drain.  He said  yes, an underwater seal drain ( I remember making them years ago).   The idea was that we could syphon the water out if need be, because we had not yet had a tarpaulin placed on the roof.  We had reported the damage to the insurance company, but it was going to be a couple of days before the tarpaulin arrived.

Which it did (after me reminding the insurance company that there would be more damage as we could not keep going into the roof space twenty four hours a day to drain water), the tarpaulin arrived on Friday morning:


So now we have a bright blue cover on the roof!  

Apparently we had a Category 2 Cyclone (not the Tropical sort).  So no wonder we were a bit blown around.

In the park opposite my house.
Unfortunately, this has interfered with study plans - I could not do any this week, and there will be a lot of work in dealing with insurance and so on next week and for some time after - plus the repairs - plus the added stress.  So I will withdraw from one subject - it is important to do this, because I need to keep my GPA up.  The University sent out emails last night saying they would support these decisions, which is good to know. 

I am just grateful that we are fine here in Newcastle- towns inland in Hunter Valley fared badly with floods and houses washed away, and I think 7 deaths.  I feel for them.

*****
After the tarpaulin went on, I decided a little stress stashing was in order.  Spotlight is selling Vogue patterns for $10.00 at the moment - normally about $28.00 here, so I added to the collection:






So, that was the week that was - hopefully we won't have a repeat next week and I can get on with some sewing.

Hoping you all had better sewing weeks :)

Sarah Liz

34 comments:

  1. Hope your beautiful ceiling will soon be fixed. Your stress stashing is well deserved after such a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne - I think it will take time - insurance companies usually do.

      Delete
  2. Oh no. Just so glad you and yours is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally impressed that you still cut out a garment in the middle of a cyclone! Thank the powers that be that you and yours are all safe. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, as I didn't really know what was going on, it was not as scary as it could have been :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry about the roof! I love the bottom two patterns. That shirt dress--I want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DD - it is a nice shirt dress, I agree.

      Delete
  5. I wondered how the storms affected you. Glad to hear you are OK, even if the house is not.

    Many thanks for the notice, I'm off to Spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the house will be fixed, one day ...(insurance takes forever...).

      Good hunting at SL

      Delete
  6. Sarahliz, I am so sorry to hear about your home.. Happy that you and hubby are ok..
    How horrible to have to dip water out.. This was very painful for sure..
    Happy you got to do some pattern cutting out, and some pattern buying..How fun.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, we found parts of our body that we do not usually exercise!

      Hope to get back to sewing soon, which will improve things no end...

      Delete
  7. So happy that you are alright. I laughed at the pattern work by torchlight-it is what i would do. Your ceiling is so pretty and I hope it can be restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you laughed - but what else can one do???

      The ceilings are pretty, and I think a bit of sealer and paint will do the job...in the lap of insurance company now.

      Delete
  8. Oh Sarah Liz, I'm so sorry to hear about the damage in your home; hope you are soon sorted. But what a pick me up for you buying lovely new patterns. I look forward to seeing them made up :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - life is more normal this week, so it's now just wait...but there is always a sewing dream to keep one distracted from gloomy thoughts.

      Delete
  9. Sorry about your situation, but so glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are okay and as you say others are a lot worse off.

    You have purchased some lovely Vogue patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right - it always helps to keep things in perspective :)

      Delete
  11. Well done SarahLiz! I do hope your insurance company manages to fix their clients homes promptly. It's going to be a frustrating time for all I fear. It's disappointing that you've had to defer a subject. I hope they offer it every semester.
    I do like your new patterns. I can really see you in that shirt dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leonie- yes, insurance companies are usually slow - as you say, frustrations ahead, which is why I shall ease the study load - and yes, I can pick up the subject again next year.

      Delete
  12. Dear Sarah Liz, so sorry to hear of your storm damage, and my fingers were double crossed reading about you two crawling around in the roof cavity! Thank goodness the tarp arrived when it did. It was so sad the awful damage in the Hunter region - has the world weather gone mad? Meantime, sewing to the rescue, and the new patterns are all very good choices, and I'm sure we'll see some excellent action there some time. Good luck with the study, and like I did, you watch that GPA girl :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - as you say, the Hunter was quite affected, and we are lightly off, compared to those up the Valley, who still have no power (at least up to yesterday). Yes, the GPA is important...

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry to hear about your storm damage. It's a pity you've had to defer a subject but I'm sure it's the right decision. Good luck in the coming weeks with the repairs. And good luck with any sewing you manage - cutting out during a power cut...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - and at my age, it is not so bad having to drop a subject now and again when life demands other things.

      Delete
  14. Yikes! Storms are no fun (especially after we encountered a tornado of this past year with roof damage and rain water pouring in....). Good luck -- I find storms so stressful now.

    I like the Vogue patterns -- especially the dress. Hopefully you can manage some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you posted pictures as I recall. Like you, I did not think much of storms, and even with this one, I did not realise what was going one, which is a blessing - but in future, I will.

      I think this week some sewing will be fitted in...

      Delete
  15. What a storm! I'm glad that you have a tarp now. We had quite some storms here last month and I saw roof tiles all over the road in our neighbourhood. Good luck with the repairs and your studying. Hopefully everything will be in order soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, storms can be mighty destructive - thank you for your well wishes.

      Delete
  16. You've been through a lot! Glad you and your husband are okay. Your home has beautiful molding and architectural features!! Funny... the picture with the tarp over your home.... took me a while to realize it wasn't the sky! I can see you in that shirtdress too. Stashing is an excellent way to handle any stress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - glad that the blue wasn't the sky - that would mean no roof at all !!

      I agree, nothing like stashing to handle stress - I think it's that it is a distraction, which helps to remove the focus from negative thoughts.

      Delete
  17. So sorry about the damage :( Hope everything will be back to normal soon.

    I like the shirt dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - things are settling down.

      Delete