Saturday, May 2, 2015
Another Little Top - Vogue 8793.
I had some time to sew today - and as I was keen to get on, I decided to make another version of Vogue 8793, as I already knew this pattern would work. My first version can be found here.
(And it looks as though I was keener to sew than to do my hair properly today, judging by how it looks in the photo).
This is the pattern:
But today I was not using scraps, but part of a 2.5 metre piece of rib knit I found at a local Op Shop, for $5.00. I'm not sure what the composition is - something synthetic, and I think polyester. The burn test indicated a polyester-ery behaviour when alight. Sort of just melted. It does feel nice though, and was easy to sew.
I did not want the double collar so just used the inner, larger, collar to make a more classic roll collar.
I cut size Small which works in a stretchier sort of knit. I took in 1 1/8 inch (2.5 cms approx) at the hip and merged this to nothing at the waist. As you can see, the top is very loose on the model.
I shortened the top 1 inch ( 2 cm) at the L/S line of the bodice. I did not add a cuff to the sleeve.
Here is a photo of the neckline - I top stitch the neck edge where collar meets bodice to hold the over-locked seams into position. I also had to overlock with grey thread as I could not find an over-locking thread to match the fabric colour - this was a little hard for me, as I don't like un-matching thread. I got over it though, and quite like the grey now - although, with non-matching thread you do have to be neat. As this is a knit, I use a slight zig-zag stitch, so that I will get some stretch in the seam.
I also do a false flat fell seam at the shoulder. I have of course stabilised the shoulder seam. I also do a little edge stitch on the outer edge of the sleeve on this top, just because I thought it went with the sporty look of this top. Again, top stitching done with a slight zig-zag stitch.
I'm still trying to work out the best way to do hems on knits, so once again used a fusible web on this hem. I stitched in a single row of stitching, again, with a slight zig-zag stitch. I did the same hem technique on the sleeves.
The front view shows that the front is still quite loose - just like the picture on the pattern. It would have been voluminous on me if I had not taken it in. The hem still ripples a bit, but I think this is also happening because the top is loose. I would not want it any tighter. I am coming to terms with hem ripples - they can even look purposeful, if you decide to perceive them that way.
The side view - again, the back has folds. This is because I have a narrow and erect back and need to take out in umpteen places at shoulder level, back and sleeves. For a tee shirt this is just too much work - no-one will notice in real life, and I will probably wear a cardigan over the top in any case.
And the back view - again, a few wrinkles from my narrow back. I mean, one day I might work on this alteration, but not until I have a few nice knit tops in the chest of drawers.
And as I said earlier, no-one will notice in real life, because you are busy moving around and not standing still for a very unforgiving blogging sewers self timed photo shoot.
So with that cheery thought, I will say goodbye for now. Have a great weekend wherever you are.
Sarah Liz :)
P.S. To my Queensland readers - I'm sorry to hear you are having the sort of bad weather we had last week. Hope you are all okay. S. L.