I used Kwik Sew 3264, an OOP pattern:
This is a classic Kwik Sew pattern - it's simple, easy to sew and looks good. It is designed for heavy weigh polar fleece or sweatshirt fleece. I made mine in a softer polar fleece that is drapes nicely and is so touchable - not at all like the hard wearing polar fleece for outer-wear garments. I found it at Spotlight some years ago, and stashed quite a bit of it as it was a nice feeling fabric and in a colour that really suits me. And for things like dressing gowns, I am a believer in wearing a colour that suits you -for in the first light of the morning, truth is told in the mirror - so never wear an unflattering colour in this situation :). For those of you interested in colour, you can see how this berry colour harmonises with my skin, hair and eye colouring. I'm a muted, cool, light person - summer in the old systems, and various permutations on muted, cool and light in the newer systems.
Back to the dressing gown. It was designed to have the seams serged. This meant that all seam allowances were 1/4 inch. My serger/overlocker does not like going through thick layers - even with tensions adjusted, pressure foot adjusted, differential feed adjusted, it still balks at layers. So stitches were skipped on my outer needle thread. When I reverted to one layer of fleece, the machine behaved. Anyway, I never try and tell my overlocker what to do in these situations - I work around the problem instead. So I serged the seams, and then did a narrow zig zag seam over the problem needle thread stitches. Problem solved :). May not be perfect, but it is barely even noticeable...
I cut size Small and did not alter the pattern at all. And I didn't even make a muslin! I did need to shorten the gown at the hem and sleeves by an inch, but I just made the hems deeper.
Inside, at the CB of the neckband, I added a velvet ribbon loop for hanging the gown up. I turned the serged edge of the band inwards, and stitched that so I have a nice clean edge at the back neck:
Then I applied the front facing band as per instructions:
Belt loops were made out of fleece and attached in the side seam above the pockets:
The pockets are nice and roomy - this is the outside looking into the pocket:
Inside - the pocket bag - I did make this a little rounder at the top and bottom - I thought the pattern shape was a bit skimped:
Sleeve was just overlocked and turned up - I made my hem 3.5 inches deep, the pattern was 2.5 inches. Actually, the deeper hem works well, because if I turn the sleeve back it looks like a cuff turn back, because I only turn it back about two inches - so no overlocking shows.
And the bottom hem - a few wobbles here and there, but as my first attempt at a fleecy gown, not too bad. And I have seen worse sometimes on RTW. And everything lines up reasonably well for such an uncooperative fabric.
Now for the front, back and side views:
|Just look at those lovely pockets...|
This one is so lovely. I think this pattern is a keeper :)
Wishing you all the best for the coming weekend, and hope you have some sewing time.