Pages

Friday, May 22, 2015

Snuggly, Cosy and Warm - Kwik Sew 3264

As some of you know, last week I was in the middle of making this nice, snuggly, cosy, warm dressing gown.  It's finished, and I have to admit, really nice to wear.

I used Kwik Sew 3264, an OOP pattern:



This is a classic Kwik Sew pattern - it's simple, easy to sew and looks good.  It is designed for heavy weigh polar fleece or sweatshirt fleece.  I made mine in a softer polar fleece that is drapes nicely  and is so  touchable - not at all like the hard wearing polar fleece for outer-wear garments.  I found it at Spotlight some years ago, and stashed quite a bit of it as it was a nice feeling fabric and in a colour that really suits me.  And for things like dressing gowns, I am a believer in wearing a colour that suits you -for in the first light of the morning, truth is told in the mirror - so never wear an unflattering colour in this situation :).  For those of you interested in colour, you can see how this berry colour harmonises with my skin, hair and eye colouring.  I'm a muted, cool, light person - summer in the old systems, and various permutations on muted, cool and light in the newer systems.

Back to the dressing gown.  It was designed to have the seams serged. This meant that all seam allowances were 1/4 inch.  My serger/overlocker does not like going through thick layers - even with tensions adjusted, pressure foot adjusted, differential feed adjusted, it still balks at layers.  So stitches were skipped on my outer needle thread.  When I reverted to one layer of fleece, the machine behaved.  Anyway, I never try and tell my overlocker what to do in these situations - I work around the problem instead.  So I serged the seams, and then did a narrow zig zag seam over the problem needle thread stitches.  Problem solved :).  May not be perfect, but it is barely even noticeable...

I cut size Small and did not alter the pattern at all.  And I didn't even make a muslin!   I did need to shorten the gown at the hem and sleeves by an inch, but I just made the hems deeper.

Inside, at the CB of the neckband, I added a velvet ribbon loop for hanging the gown up.  I turned the serged edge of the band inwards, and stitched that so I have a nice clean edge at the back neck:


Then I applied the front facing band as per instructions:


Belt loops were made out of fleece and attached in the side seam above the pockets:


The pockets are nice and roomy - this is the outside looking into the pocket:


Inside - the pocket bag - I did make this a little rounder at the top and bottom - I thought the pattern shape was a bit skimped:


Sleeve was just overlocked and turned up - I made my hem 3.5 inches deep, the pattern was 2.5 inches.  Actually, the deeper hem works well, because if I turn the sleeve back it looks like a cuff turn back, because I only turn it back about two inches - so no overlocking shows.


And the bottom hem - a few wobbles here and there, but as my first attempt at a fleecy gown, not too bad.  And I  have seen worse sometimes on RTW.  And everything lines up reasonably well for such an uncooperative fabric.


Now for the front, back and side views:

Just look at those lovely pockets...


I think this will do me for a few winters.  It's been on my list for a long time as a needed garment - my old RTW one was tatty and unflattering.

This one is so lovely.  I think this pattern is a keeper :)


Wishing you all the best for the coming weekend, and hope you have some sewing time.

Sarah Liz.



47 comments:

  1. Looks so comfy and warm! Great color on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely and cosy Sarah Liz. Enjoy wearing it for the cooler months. TS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and welcome to my blog :)

      Delete
  3. Cosy and warm and snuggly...perfect for the Winter that is fast approaching. This is a beautiful colour on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dressing gown is gorgeous. So warm and snuggly. I have a very similar old Simplicity pattern and have been meaning to make a new dressing gown for at least two years. My old one was a Mother's Day gift from my daughter at least 22 years ago. I think it's time it was replaced, don't you. It won't be this year though as there will be no sewing for me for the next two months and by the time I get home the winter will be almost gone. Here, anyway. Enjoy your cosy mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Yes, these sorts of garments don't change do they, and there are variations on this sort of dressing gown around. Two years is the bare minimum that something like this must be on the list! but I agree, it is time to make a new one, although there must be some sentimental attachment to the old one. Next winter perhaps...

      Delete
  5. It is very nice. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.. and the color is so pretty and looks so pretty on you..
    looks so comfortable and warm..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this!! And I may make my own this fall as my current robe is at least 7 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and you must - new adventures in sewing for you :)

      Delete
  8. This looks perfect for the colder months -- snuggly and warm! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NICE!
    I made a long bathrobe a couple of years ago and I'm wearing it most of the time when I'm home, unless it's too warm. I made a lot of mistakes sewing it, but I love that thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and isn't it funny how some of the most imperfect me made garments get to be the most worn and loved in the wardrobe - perhaps we are not scared to wear them :)

      Delete
  10. This is so pretty! And I agree that one should wear a flattering colour first thing in the morning.

    It's so cold here today, with a brisk north wind, that I wish that I'd made one as my May project too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and maybe later this year you can make one before your fall starts :)

      Delete
  11. Very nice and what a great color on you! You'll be nice and cozy this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great and is such a lovely and flattering colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great and is such a lovely and flattering colour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That truly is lovely .. some lovely professional touches you've added there ...agree with a good colour for the morn .. I need all the help I can get these days ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, as we get older, we do need to choose flattering colours near our face :)

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous, and looks so cosy and snuggly warm I love the warm pink colour on you too. I think I need one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn - I guess you will add this sort of garment to your list now :)

      Delete
  16. That does look very warm and comfy. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, it is comfortable, I did not want to take it off after I had taken the photos !

      Delete
  17. Oh SarahLiz! Your robe looks so cozy and warm but I'm so glad it's not me who needs one of those now that our very long and very cold and snowy winter is just a bad memory ! Lol !

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so warm and cosy. Never thought of making a dressing gown... perhaps I should, I love them. Mine goes everywhere with me. Great job Sarah Liz and such a lush colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this is such a great dressing gown! I love the colour and I agree there are a lot of dressing gowns out there that are made very poorly. Nice touch with the velvet loop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! You did a great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that looks so perfect for the weather we are having. Enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, the color absolutely suits you well! What a lovely, comfy dressing gown! I like all the touches you added, particularly the deeper sleeve hem so you can cuff it without seams showing. I don't argue with my serger either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You chose such a beautiful color. It looks nice and you'll have many years of wear from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with you that color is very important to consider when choosing something to wear any time of the day. This a great color on you and will be so cozy and warm. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, I am hoping you can help me. I am missing the following 3264 pattern pieces: 3, 4 and 6. I started this a couple of years ago and now the pattern is discontinued. :( Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Stow, MA USA.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BTW, Your robe is so pretty! I can't wait to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Sarah, I am hoping you can help me with this pattern. I started it a couple of years ago by cutting out the pattern, but when I went to use the pieces, some of them are missing now. The pieces missing are #3 (sleeve), #4 (belt loop) and #8 (pocket). If you could mail me a copy of those pieces, I would be very grateful. I live in Stow, MA USA. My email is Lhawkes@comcast.net. Thank you. Lori

    ReplyDelete