Do you have those extremely frustrating weeks where everything conspires against you sewing? I've just had one of those, but finally managed to run up this simple top.
For those of you who think you have seen this top recently, you are right. Only it was not this top, but: Last week's top was made in this fabric, and I decided that I would use the leftover piece to make a second top that I want to trial - McCall's 6796:
The fabric was found in an Op Shop, and I don't know what it is - a polyester or acrylic. It does feel nice on, and although the thermal properties will not be fantastic, I will wear it over a little thermal underthing. I am in today's photo - hence the slight ripple at the waist line. I get cold - Australian houses are not designed for the cold and I need layers. Also, I am very heat tolerant, so I think that I am not so well adapted to colder weather.
Enough about my idiosyncratic biology and on with the sewing :). I decided to throw caution to the winds and not make a muslin for this top. I checked the fit with another pattern and it looked reasonable. I cut size 12 and shortened the bodice and sleeves 1 inch along the L/S lines. I removed about an inch from the hip width (front and back) and redrew the line to the waist. I also hemmed the pattern - sleeves and bodice - at about 1 1/4 inch instead of the pattern's recommended 5/8 inch. I didn't like the look of buttons when I laid them out on my top, so I chose not to put buttons on the collar.
I did find that the shoulders were a little wide on me, but I think rather it is that the neckhole is rather large and the whole top slips down my shoulders. When I pull the collar up around my neck like the McCalls picture shown above, the shoulders are about right.
Here is a quick picture frieze:
I did stabilise the shoulders, and next time I shall run a stay tape around the back of the neck to try and pull the collar up - it still has to go over my head, so stretch will be needed. The daisy marks the back:
I did a mock flat fell on the shoulder seams and top stitched around the neck opening to hold things in place - plus I like the look of top stitching:
I'm still playing around with what fusing tapes work best - this week I used a fusible web. It sort of works but I still don't think fusing is the right thing to do for rib knits - because you press them flat, so of course they are going to distort.
Still, I can live with the results - the top is still a lot nicer than many RTW tops and it is unique and a colour I look good in. More pluses than minuses, in my opinion :).
All stitching was either by serger or by a narrow zig zag stitch - this stretches with the stretch of the knit, for those of you new to sewing with knits.
That's it for McCalls 6796, until I make it again. And there will be a next time, because I like this top and the angular collar suits me.
That's it for now, time for me to send my wishes to you for a good weekend and a happy week to follow - with sewing time, of course :)
Sarah Liz :)