Pages

Friday, June 12, 2015

85 cms of fleece, a scrap, V9026 = a New Cosy Top :)


A few months ago I found a piece of fleece in a lovely blue colour at an Op Shop.  So I bought it, even though it was only an 85 cm length (150 width).  Silly purchase of course, because what can you make out of 85 cm?  So I was a bit cross with myself, and decided I had to make something nice out of this fabric.

I played around with some ideas and decided that with some modification of V 9026  and the help of a small pieces of leftover fleece from my fleece blazer, I could eek out a top.  Vogue 9026 is pictured below:


 

I chose Style c, the version with the cowl collar.  Ambitious, given my limited fabric.   But as you can see from above, I made it work. 

The first thing I did was lay out the pattern pieces on my blue 85 cm piece.  I chose size Small which looked about right. I did not make a muslin for this top, not my usual practice I know, but I thought the fit would be near enough to being about right.

 I could get out the back/SF piece (it is in one piece, no side seam) and the sleeves.  I had a small strip left over.  By making a small cowl (well, more a roll collar - I just made it the width of the fabric strip left over) and by putting a seam along the foldline I could make a collar:

That left the front panel.  I had two small pieces leftover from my my blazer project, and by putting a seam in the centre of the front panel, I could get a front piece. 


 As I do not have a coverstitch machine, I sewed the seams with a slight zig-zag to give stretch.  I anchored the seam allowance by making what I call a false flat fell seam - a welt seam, for those of you who know the proper word for this seam.

Edges were serged inside to give a finished look.  The hems were anchored with a tape first and then zig-zagged. I do two rows - all free hand, my machine won't take a twin needle:


 I knew my serger would balk at three layers at the collar/neck edge, and I also knew it would be a very bulky seam.  So I trimmed back the underlayers of the seam, overlocked the remaining collar edge and topstitched this down to cover the trimmed layers:


Inside

Outside
And the finished collar looks  good, given the extra seam at the foldline, if I place it correctly:

Now my usual three views, front, sides and back:





That's it for this weeks fabric challenge.  Over the next two weeks I plan to make two black long sleeved t-shirts as part of the MAGAM challenge.   I have 2.1 metres of 112 cm cotton jersey - and the selvedges are very deep.  One of them is going to be Version B of V9027:


The other will be V8536, a pattern I want to try:


It's going to be a tight fit , but I'll see what I can do.  I hope to post the first top next week.

Bye for now, Sarah Liz :)



37 comments:

  1. Very good use of a scrap. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that pattern Sarah, and the top that resulted from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great fabric wizardry! It looks wonderful, you did a great job playing with the fabric that you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it's amazing what you can squeeze out sometimes :)

      Delete
  4. This top is so cute! You did a fantastic job! Those up close views show your top notch workmanship. I thought the hem was twin-needled at first. Very, very nice and looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart lady.. You made it work, and it looks great on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got yourself a wonderful top! It's nice to go with your instinct when making odd purchases, because small fabric pieces are valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! Your top turned out beautifully and love the fabric combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a make it work moment and well worth it! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, very good use of the fabrics. I like the blue and black combination. Your sewing skills really shine. I too thought you had used a twin needle for the hem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - I do like sewing, so I have practiced those skills for some years :)

      Delete
  10. Bravo🙌 I love it when you find a cheap remnant and create the impossible, tests our creative skills for sure. I bet that is nice and cosy top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love seeing colour blocked tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they show up well on blogs :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome top! Love the color. So jealous of the neat stitches too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing. I love the stitching. I went to make a cardigan from some lovely plum coloured fabric, thinking I had bought 2 metres but found there was only 1 metre (as I never buy just 1, I think it was the shop's mistake but I didn't notice so tough!) . You've inspired me to think I can make it work. I hope I have a remnant of grey left from the last cardigan; I think colour blocked with fuschia would be too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and just play around with the pieces and see what you can do - or put it away until inspiration, or a piece that will work well with what you have, arrives.

      Delete
  14. Amazing. I love the stitching. I went to make a cardigan from some lovely plum coloured fabric, thinking I had bought 2 metres but found there was only 1 metre (as I never buy just 1, I think it was the shop's mistake but I didn't notice so tough!) . You've inspired me to think I can make it work. I hope I have a remnant of grey left from the last cardigan; I think colour blocked with fuschia would be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pattern and I love your version. What a great practical make for cooler days. So nicely done too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - and sometimes you have to settle down and make those practical basics :)

      Delete
  16. Fabulous jumper. And how warm and cosy does it look! Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on using a small piece of fabric. The color blocking really makes this. The blue is very pretty.

    And I have to admit, it does look cozy. Hope you have a good week Sarah Liz and I look forward to seeing your next garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - and you have a great week too - wonderful semester breaks :)

      Delete
  18. I love how you made it work! Beautiful colour blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great SL! I love how you used the scrap piece and color-blocking. I never noticed this vogue pattern and will give it a second look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L - isn't it strange how one never notices a pattern until another sewer blogs about it ??:)

      Delete