Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

April-May-June Review and New Pants



Three months have passed since I last posted a monthly review.  There have been lots of things going on and some changes happening in my life.  But that is not going to be the subject of this blog post - it might be in another one though.

Just quickly, I have made these trousers over the weekend.  I have an old pair of saggy, baggy RTW corduroy pants, but they are threadbare and not very warm.  So I quickly made a pair of pull on, elastic waist pants from my favourite pattern for this style of trouser, Kwik Sew 2960. 

I have made this pattern up six times before, and unfortunately today I don't have time to do a full set of photos.  Nothing really shows up in black in any case.  If  you want to find out more about this pattern or want to see other versions that have been photographed front, back and side, please check all my posts which you can find here.   I'm also not sure if this is still in print or an OOP pattern. 

The fabric I used is a stretch cotton corduroy from Spotlight.   It's a nice weight, nice feel and I purchased it on sale, so these pants cost a maximum of $10.50 for fabric, plus threads, elastic and needle.  Of course, the savings just seem to be spent on adding to the stash...

So, during April - May- June I have made:

Trousers - Stretch Corduroy, Kwik Sew 2960.

 Top - Vogue 9026

 Top - Vogue 8536

 Top- Modified V9027

Top - Sandra Betzina, Vogue 1363.

 Kwik Sew 3264.

 Top -McCalls 6796

 Top - Vogue 8793.

Vogue 8793 Katherine Tilton Tee Shirt (since altered and a band added to the bottom)
Knit Shirt -McCalls 7018.

A total of ten garments.  That seems an awful lot - but most of these were knit tops, which don't take long to make.  The dressing gown is also a simple make, as were the TNT pants.  No fitting was involved, and all patterns contained only a few pieces, and were quick and easy to sew.


I'm not sure of the exact metre-age that I used, but probably between 13-14 metres.  Nor am I sure how much stash I added during this time - but it was quite a bit. Well, a lot more than 13-14 metres, if I am quite honest.  Because I have sewing plans, and for that you need adequate stash, don't you?  And a bit more, just in case...

BUT, even I am concluding, that I have a bit too much stash at the moment, so, the time has come when that stash must be downsized.  Or at the very least, stay the same size.  Maybe my stash whittling goal should be simply to not buy any more stash than I have used, so replacement only of 1:1.  That doesn't seem as daunting as a total stash bust.  But still daunting enough.

I am not sure what the next sewing month will bring.  I'm having a bit of a sew slow at the moment, not sure what to make next.  No doubt in a few days I will come up with the next set of ideas.

And that is the quarter to date.  It also marks the end of the first half of the year. Was this a good sewing half of the year for you, or are you planning to make the second half of the year a good sewing year?

Bye for now

Sarah Liz









22 comments:

  1. I reckon that's very good going considering you have othe commitments. Love you in the pink top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - as I said, all simple things :)

      Delete
  2. I like your reflective review posts as it is a tangible way of seeing all the sewing you've been doing. Basics always seem.... well.... 'basic' but are the workhorses of the wardrobe and you've added quite a few pretty tops to your wardrobe in just a few short months, not to mention pants and a robe. I too like the pink color (and the blue) on you.... but also realize how great black is to wear as it's a go-with-anything classic color. Look forward to seeing what else you'll be making! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I agree, it is a good way to work out what you have, what you need and so on. My casual wardrobe holes are fast disappearing :)

      Delete
  3. I agree - that is quite a lot of sewing even as you say they are knits. Your encouragement to all on FB is wonderful & your time is very appreciated .
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen, and you are all such a great group :)

      Delete
  4. A lot of good basics - I especially like the McCalls shirt (7018).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - yes, it's a great pattern :)

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of makes and all practical and wearable. I'm with you on the black thing; it doesn't photograph well at all does it?! Hope your next few months is as successful for sewing Sarah Liz :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - I'm not sure what this month will bring sewing wise :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, one or two more holes to plug though :)

      Delete
  7. A good lot of sewing. Basics are so wearable. I love the robe. I am sewing, slowly. The courses I'm doing have a lot of work to do that's taking up sewing time! I'm still struggling with fit - oh, to have a TNT pattern that I could make up quickly. Best wishes for the next quarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - Basics make a boring blog, but I would rather make things that are worn than things that look good to blog about. Yes, learning at college can be quite time consuming, especially as you have other demands. And, one slows down a bit as time goes by as well.

      Delete
  8. You really are amazing - all this, and studying too! I really admire your beautifully fitted wardrobe of basics, Saran Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I'm looking forward to finishing the basics and making more interesting things :)

      Delete
  9. You have been so busy! and made some very nice basics to set you up beautifully for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your garments compliment each other. It is the basics that make a wearable wardrobe and you have some really good ones!

    Are you starting a new term soon?

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Great job of adding to your closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz - it has been a solid effort :)

      Delete