Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

Sometimes it's the Little Things that make a Big Difference.






I didn't have much enthusiasm for starting new projects this week - sometimes the first blast of winter winds and chills tends to but a damper on my sewing spirits for a few days.  So I decided to tackle those little things that annoyed me  with some of my garments.

Firstly, I revisited the Tilton Tee that I made earlier this year.  The ribbed knit I was using was ex--tre--me--ly stretch (like about 100%) and I used a  tape that was just a glue thing when stuck on and the paper removed.  But it made the knit very heavy at the hem, and it also rippled.  I decided that the ripple was sort of quite okay, a bit like a peplum. Trouble is, I'm a more classic sort of  dresser. and don't really like peplums or ruffles: 

So I found a piece of leftover knit in a ivory colour - it's a slightly different colour from the knit I used for the cuffs and collar, but it really doesn't show.  I removed the offending rippled hem, and added a band.  Problem solved and I am happy with the result :)


Next, I altered a  ponte pinafore dress that has been in my wardrobe for a few years now, unworn.   I tried to convince myself that I really would try to wear it this year, until I realised I was kidding myself.  So, out it came, off with the top, then I raided the knit scraps for something thick enough and suitable, and then on with a band, and in with some elastic:


And now I have a wearable skirt - and also a skirt that I will wear:


And last, but not least, recently I made knit shirt with a collar stand:

 

 I did not like the top stitching and inner hand stitching  I had done - it was wonky and not my best.  I know the only person who would know this would be me, but then I decided that was important - I need to be happy in the shirt.  So I undid the top stitching and the hand stitching and redid it:




Now it looks neat inside, and also outside.  I did two rows of top stitching very close together. The effect is quite textural, giving a slightly braided look - very like the soutache braid used on this type of collar years ago when the Russian inspired ideas where around.  It now makes the collar more of a feature.

Next I am going to try and use up a piece of fleece that I purchased in an op shop.  About 85 cms - what was I thinking? Other than I loved the colour.  I am going to try and make something interesting out of the fleece - and make that 85 cms work!

That's the challenge for next week:)

I hope your sewing challenges are going well too.

Sarah Liz

42 comments:

  1. I so agree. Going back and re doing little niggles is so satisfying in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes "good enough" just isn't!

    Hoping you are now motivated to tackle the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the next project is a fun one :)

      Delete
  3. I like how you have tackled making something better with what I call ho hum garments. I love the hip band and cuffs on the off white t-shirt it does look much better than you rippled hem. Now you have skirt you will wear and the collar looks more polished on the knit shirt and will I am sure get more wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda - the garments are now something to be proud of and will look good to wear as well :)

      Delete
  4. The collar looks so nice with the double topstitching-well done! I also have days in which I go back and fix things. These details are almost always to results of hurrying to finish instead of focusing on the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - and I agree, sometimes we need to focus on the process more and not the product :)

      Delete
  5. Good job! This is inspiring me to tackle some adjustments & repairs that I can do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will feel pleased with yourself after you have tackled them :)

      Delete
  6. Love the new tops! And the skirt looks like it'll be a perfect fit in the wardrobe. Can't wait to see how you handle the fleece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and the fleece is looking good :)

      Delete
  7. Good save on the hem and I love the knit shirt with the collar stand. I love a collar stand and I really like the twin rows of stitching... a nice feature. Looking forward to seeing what your challenge fabric becomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ...all will be revealed this weekend :)

      Delete
  8. Sometimes the little things that pile up feel so wonderful to complete. And they give you motivation for the next challenge. I have a pile of the same sort of clothes that need to be altered or fix so that I will wear them.

    I think they are all lovely but I really love the knit shirt with collar stand. That is so classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real downer having a pile of things that need fixing - but a great feeling when they are done :)

      Delete
  9. Great fix on the knit top SL! I agree that little things that no one else will likely ever notice are the things we see as prominent.

    In sewing the gun flap on my current trench coat, a small peak of red stripe (from the lining) could be seen from the side. I hadn't rolled the seam allowance under enough to prevent this from happening. Initially I was going to let it go since I had already topstitched the piece and made the button hole. After a couple of days, the little red stripe kept screaming at me! I undid the topstitching and properly rolled the seam. There's a pucker in the lining because I couldn't undo the button hole (already cut open), but it's not visible on the outside and neither is the red stripe!

    Soooooo worth it. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree L - sometimes we won't even wear something that screams not good enough at us, although a non sewer would :).

      Delete
  10. very impressed by your clever fixes, well done, and very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fixes. I agree with accordion that sometimes good enough just isn't! Good luck with the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great fixes. I agree with accordion that sometimes good enough just isn't! Good luck with the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent 'redo's'! Three, new, wearable garments! Excellent result. Sometimes you just have to sit back, work out what is bothering you and fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! I am so impressed with how the collar stand. Clever idea of adding the band for the hem :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes it is great to go back and do fixes instead of sewing new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when you don't know what you want to sew next :)

      Delete
  16. Well done, Sarah Liz. I find it hard to make myself go back and fix things too, but it is worth it in the end. Your fixes all came out really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - yes, it is the refixings need a lot of self talk and tea to get happening :)

      Delete
  17. What a constructive week you've had! I 've used that gluey tape (wonder tape) and found it to be OK (it dissolves when you wash the garment taking away the bulk) but all fabrics work differently. Great idea adding the band x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - I think my gluey tape is not wonder tape, but something else, and it does not wash out. I've found some wonder tape here and will order it in due course - it looks good. I've also found some steam and seam, which the U.S. sewers seem to use a lot. Hopefully knit hems will become easier to manage now.

      Delete
  18. I really like the last shirt you showed. You did a great job on the collar detail and very clever about taking off the 'ruffly hem' and adding a band instead on the first shirt. The skirt looks like it will be good to wear now in your cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - sometimes you just feel so much better after making things look good instead of nearly good enough - we sewers do seem to have pride in our work, don't we.

      Delete
  19. Sometimes, we just have to place aside those projects that just don't seem to want to work out or that are just plain annoying and revisit at a later date. It looks like you have some fantastic revisits. Really like the Tilton tee band that you added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dianne - yes, sometimes a little distance first ...

      Delete
  20. Wow you have been productive! Lovely. I really like the cute little embroidered tags you put on you garments. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete