Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Two T Challenge- No. 2 - a remake of Vogue 9026



 Black is such a useful colour to wear (even if it doesn't suit you - it's easy to deal with that) but a  terrible colour to photograph and blog about.   Some of my later pictures show the top a little better.

Anyway, my challenge was to make two tops out of 2 metres of 112 cotton knit (purchased from Spotlight) with wide selvidges. I made one last week, and yes, I did manage to squeeze this out - with a bit of help from a piece of poly/cotton rib knitting that was in my stash.  And using a strip down the middle to cut the sleeves - I marked the grainlines on this strip prior to cutting.  A bit tedious having to do this, but I won my little challenge :)

The pattern I used was Vogue 9026, version B(so the rib band was perfect for this):

I made version C, slightly modified, in a fleecy knit. That was a  nice snug fit - I used the same size, even though I knew this lighter material would not take up so much ease in the seams,  because I wanted the softer look shown in the picture.

I cut size Small, and the only alteration I made was to take out an inch in the sleeve length along the L/S line.  Otherwise, everything was made as per the pattern.

A very simple and straightforward make - most versions I have seen of this look good.

Here is a close up of the neck - there is a slight colour difference between the rib and the knit, which in real life is not that obvious, but it does show up in the photos - which is a plus, because you can see the neckband - which is quite wide.


Shoulders are finished in my usual fashion:


And here are the cuffs and lower band:

The pattern suggests turning the front panel seams to the centre and pressing.  I like to top stitch seams like this to give definition and also to hold them in place.  But I decided to put the seams towards the side - not pressed, but just finger held while top stitching - that way, I did not get shiny iron marks:

Now for pictures of me wearing the top - with little to be seen except the silhouette:






But the silhouette looks okay.  And if you are wondering why the strange and eerie light in the last photo - I am trying to work out how to get more light for my photographs. I live in an old house, and old houses are often dark.  And sometimes it is just as dark and gloomy outside.  Light meters are often used by photographers here even on a sunny morning - unlike other parts of Australia, Newcastle seems to be quite dark.  I don't like that at all, but there is not much I can do about it.

So this was my bright thought the other day - I use a daylight lamp for reading, handwork and so on.  I thought that this might work as a photography light as well:



So, meet my light and my screen - I use that to block out the background views so that I can show the garment.

If I stand in the right place, the light works well.  If not, shadows are cast - or I look a sort of grey colour.  But some of the photo's are a lot better.

That's it for now, I'm off to quickly sew a much needed pair of pull on corduroy pants.

Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz




23 comments:

  1. Amazing, Sarah Liz. Two tops from 2 metres, both with long sleeves. You are a wonder, possibly doing a Loaves and Fishes thing. Cute pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - though I am not sure about the miracle - I do not have a big girth so a little can go a long way :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, you are now officially a fabric scrimper. You have done a really good job on these. I can't see excessive seaming or any other signs. The top stitching is spot on too. And black tops are always useful and give a good silhouette. TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello TS, yes, I both fabric stash and fabric scrimp. Thanks for you compliments - black hides a multitude of seaming problems :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I am impressed. Love fabric scrimping though sometimes it take longer working it out than the actual sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - and yes, you are right - it can take hours of laying out- but the satisfaction after is great :). And no nuisance pieces of half a metre left either :)

      Delete
  4. Two nice useful tops out of 2 meters of fabric, you can't beat that. The fit is great on this top as well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try putting the lamp on the ground, just in front of the camera, pointing up. Might help!

    I like your top too. It looks cosy and stylish, quite a feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, much I must try with that lamp:)

      Yes, I think this top could be made in lots of warm fabrics.

      Delete
  6. Black is so hard to photograph, but they both look nice. And black tops are good basics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the finishing bands. Well done! Pretty top and for sure you will wearing it more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - yes, I like having clothes in the wardrobe that actually get worn :)

      Delete
  8. I have lots of black long sleeves top too! Yours fit your really well. And I like the detail photos of your garment. Bravo! I need to figure out how to take good pictures too. My pics are always too blurry to see any details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Love Nicky - I have to admit thought, I need more tops, so maybe I should make some more. My pics are blurry too - something to do with a basic camera and automatic self timed shots I think. But I can't afford a new camera just for this.

      Delete
  9. Black shirts are always nice to have.. Great job getting 2 sewed up..Great fit too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black tops: so versatile and easy to wear and SO BORING to make. Your tops looks like they'll be a strong addition to your wardrobe though!

    I am VERY FAR from being a decent photographer, but I noticed something yesterday while I was photographing a baby vest, so I'll share. :) I was taking photos outside on the cement step. It was late afternoon (well actually probably more like 8 pm but at this time of the year in the Yukon it's the equivalent to late afternoon elsewhere) so there was lots of sun, but shady where I was. The photos were pretty washed out. Except one - the one that was closer to the wall and taken at an angle that allowed the sunlight to bounce off of the white wall beside it and lite up the vest a bit more.

    You can see the difference in my blog post below - everything else is a bit washed out, but the one reflected light pic stands up in true colour. Something I'm definitely going to keep in mind in the future! Possibly by playing with lamps and white reflectors (aka poster board). :)

    (Sorry about the long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, here's the link:
      http://thingsimakeplusrocks.blogspot.ca/2015/06/fo-bit-of-babys-breath-or-uh-vest.html

      Delete
    2. I agree, making anything basic is boring - but essential.

      No need to apologise about your long comment - it was much appreciated. We bloggers are all trying to figure out the same sort of photography problems. And most of us do not have the resources to set up a proper studio and buy good cameras. So we make do with what we have and our creative approaches. I'll visit your blog to have a look at your results.

      Delete
  11. One can never go wrong with black and you've got another hardworking top added to your wardrobe here! Always love the way you do your finishing detail on knits. And photography always seems to be a 'work-in-progress' learning curve too. Your photos are looking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I like the hardworking basics, but they can be tedious to sew sometimes, when you want to make something more attention seeking and bloggable! I agree, photography is a work in progress ...

      Delete