Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Basic Black Tops - Revisiting Kwik Sew 3766.



My t- shirt drawer is full of old, tatty, t-shirts that need replacing.  I would really prefer to buy cotton t-shirts instead of making them, because I really do not enjoy this sort of necessity sewing, which is all I seem to do! You know, all those good old basics that always wear well, but aren't the most inspiring sort of material for a blog.

(Yes, I know it is sacrilegious talking about wanting to buy something on a sewing blog, but still, sometimes it can get tedious making the basics).

It seems that nice, long sleeve cotton t-shirts with higher necks are not able to be purchased anymore. Not where I live, in any case. I've looked online, and all the t-shirts around at the moment have low necks - which makes for a cold neck area, shows my bones, if not slide off my shoulders altogether.  So, with much sighing, back to the cotton knits in the stash.  And I made two more black t-shirts - which I wear a lot, under jumpers and things.  I wear dark colours under woolies and fleecy garments because fluff tends to adhere to white t-shirts.  I also think that black looks okay when the jumper or fleecy garment is peeled off on a warmer day.

I used my favourite t-shirt pattern, Kwik Sew 3766:

The cotton knit is a combed cotton jersey from Spotlight.  Not cheap, at $13.99 for 112 cm width. Only I got it a little cheaper, on one of Spotlight's sales.  I had 2.2 metres, which was just enough.  I cut size Small, and the only alteration was shortening the sleeves by 1 inch/2cm.

When I made this t-shirt t before, I used a very stretchy knit.  When I applied the neckband, it sat perfectly. I also made a less stretch version, and a combed cotton version. The neckbands in the last two versions did not sit so well, but were passable.

When I applied the neckband to my black version, this was the result:


Even with pressing and stitching in place, this was going to look puckered. There is not enough stretch in the interlock.  So, I took it off (and I was making two, and had to take two off...) (and was relieved I had not used the serger for sewing this band on).

So I added a new neckband, and made it a little longer, in the hope it would fit better, but then it was all wrong at the top of the band:

Do you see how the top of the neckband is now rippling?

So:


Out with the seam ripper again.  Then I made a new neckband out of ribbing, which luckily I had in my stash (which just goes to prove how you should collect everything in your stash, and make it bigger and better every year...:)).

Which worked perfectly:





So in the  future, I shall use a rib band with this pattern.  I think it is needed, as the neckband is 6/8 inch wide - just under 2 cm - and the inner and outer circumferences need to have a quite a bit of give.

Two quick views - I apologise for today's very unclear photographs - it is what my camera chose to do.  I do not want to redress and take these photos again! I mean, I am a sewer, not a photographer or model :).





(I'm wearing Kwik Sew 3766 the t-shirt with Kwik Sew 2960, pants - made in stretch cotton sateen).

So, now I have two new t-shirts:


Which brings my recent total of new black me made t-shirts to four, with my Vogue 9026 banded top 
and Vogue 8536 t-shirt.


I think that is quite enough in the way of black t-shirts now.  I am glad that I have them, but I am also glad that the job is done.  Time for some sewing colour...even it is it a basic! :)

Sarah Liz








26 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you that making the basics can be tedious and it's ok to want to buy them, but this looks like a nice basic t-shirt pattern! Yay for the stash coming to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes just think it is the idea of making basics that is tedious - it's even more tedious going shopping and not finding what you want :)

      Delete
  2. You've got both these pattern downpat and all look very nice and fitted on you. Love your analogy about the stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I'll be adding more of these over the next few weeks now I've started. Then I'll have to top that stash up again :)

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling your pain. I'm doing the same, making t-shirts and struggling with the neck ribbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjorie, do try to use rib. And make sure the neck hole goes over your head first :)

      Delete
  4. Well done! The cost per wear on these items will be awesomely low - always satisfying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, the cost is about right :). A few more like this and the stash will be proving its worth.

      Delete
  5. Yes making basics is boring, but the results are great. You can't beat having well fitting black t-shirts in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sort of sewing is essential - it's getting harder to find quality basics in natural fibers now.

      Delete
  6. It's good to have those basics even if they are boring to sew. I like the tip to keep feeding the stash... it always comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are set now with a lot of well made black shirts. Mundane sewing true, but at least you know the quality is there as well as better material vs the ready wear. I'm with you on ribbing for neck lines. I stock up when I can on black/white and colors. Love your basics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think it's a bit daunting to think ahead about what needs replacing - it seems a lot of work :)

      Delete
  8. Black t-shirts are a must. They may be a tad boring to make but you will get a lot of wear out of them. I keep black rib knit in my stash (and white rib knit) for just the event your described above.

    I must say that the Kwik Sew pants fabric is wonderful -- paired with you black skirt, the pants definitely steal the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - and I am doing what you are doing - stashing the rib, but not only in black and white but colours I might use :)

      Delete
  9. Great basics .. yet unique too which is the smug perk and joy of sewing ☺ they can be pretty satisfying when you can whip a garment up in a jiffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda - after I have done a few more I can feel virtuous and joyous :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice. Great save on that neck band.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a lot of black t-shirts too, Sarah Liz. The more the better! Interesting about the rib neck band - sometimes the old ways are the best. My mother taught me to make tees back in the late 1970s, and it was always the rib for the neckbands, and I have to say I do find it the easiest. But then, I also try to do them with all kinds of other knits :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - you can't have too many. Yes, I was taught rib too, but many patterns nowadays have self fabric bands, and I don't think they are always satisfactory.

      Delete
  12. Great recovery of the neckband Sarah Liz. And I am totally with you on the photographer or model comment; same here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - I think a few of us find the photo aspect tedious - I like writing a blog post, but not those photos - especially in winter :)

      Delete
  13. You certainly had fun with the neckbands but with your stash was able to make them work. Great basics and I think this is one of the reasons we sew, you just can't find what you are after anymore even with basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the virtues of having a well stocked stash. I keep hearing, even from staff that work in clothing shops, that they are just not making the good old basics anymore. I agree, that is why I sew.

      Delete