Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Lisette (Butterick 6182) meets Alabama Chanin



I'm not normally a lover of boxy tops but I did like this little Lisette pattern.  As I do have reservations though about boxy tops on me, I decided to make a wearable muslin out of two old white t'shirts, made out of the same material,  that had seen better days.  I also want to find out what I think about some of the techniques seen in Alabama Chanin knit garments.   I'm not sure if the aesthetic is one I like or not.


Butterick B6182


The knit material was a fine cotton knit. I knew that I would need centre seams in order to use the pieces of fabric I had, and this top had  a centre and back seam.  I didn't have quite enough fabric, so I used a piece of white pin tuck voile, leftover from an earlier project, for the cuffs and the lower part of the back.  Back features are sort of in at the moment, so I thought this was a good use of the leftover voile. Plus it's now out of my leftover stash :):

Voile section bottom half of back bodice.

I cut size 10 and lengthened the pattern two inches.  As you can see, it is still short - and fairly wide.  I like the width because in our hot and humid summer  climate this shape will be cool to wear.

The original t'shirts had lace at the neckline, a finish I really liked and I decided to re-use this for the neckline of this t-shirt:


 I'm not quite sure how the pattern finished the neckline because I didn't use the instructions, or really look at the pattern pieces, except for the three pieces I wanted - front, back and sleeve bands.

I finished the garment by machine and then used hand-stitching to top-stitch the seams down:

Top stitching centre front seam.

Top stitching shoulder seams and cuff detail

Top stitching yoke and centre back seam. 

 The last photo is not very clear, so you may have to take my word about the top-stitching :)

Now for some views of the top:






The top is fairly wide:



But probably not when you are doing things in it:






So that is my new hybrid re-fashion, wearable muslin Lisette top meets Alabama Chanin style.  With a Sarah Liz feature back and cuffs.  I like it and will love wearing this in the hot weather.

That's it for now, time for me to see what you have been sewing :)

Sarah Liz




32 comments:

  1. All those additions make this an interesting simple white top! I like the voile addition, very subtle & charming, and very you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Liz, this is so cute.. Love all the top stitching..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sarah Liz, this is so perfect. I liked the ease and simplicity of this pattern. Your additions amp it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely top! White color suits you beautifully :) Love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great top. You are very clever it looks fabulous. I'm sure you will get lots of wear out of this top and I think this style really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty warm weather top. Wishing our weather was warmer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's not warm here, either, this has been made in the expectation of warmer days later on :)

      Delete
  7. What a pretty top, and perfect for our climate. I love the voile too - looks very fashion-forward, Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your top looks great. I like your additions and variations to the original pattern and what a good use for past-it tee shirts and stash fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your top looks great. I like your additions and variations to the original pattern and what a good use for past-it tee shirts and stash fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great top! The AC Topstitchig inspired touches are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've taken a blank canvas and came out with a masterpiece. It looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it!!!! The hand stitching makes such a nice, subtle feature on a knit. Love everything about your oh-so-cute new top! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I think it will work with the Rachel Comey skirt, as well :)

      Delete
  13. Very cute! I bought this pattern a while back, but have not made anything with it, this will inspire me to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate - yes, this top would work for you, but just make sure to make it longer - it is very short and will be more flattering longer.

      Delete
  14. With the slim fit trousers this cropped boxy top you so suit. Looks like it will be cool for summer. Love the detail, especially the lace around the neckline :)x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sarah Liz I really like this on you. As Dawn above says I think it goes so well those slim line pants. It will be so cool in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boxy tops are great for keeping cool and you have used the fabrics to create a very wearable and cute top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love loose fitting tops for the hot and humid weather. You will get lots of use for a top like this in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love the way you added the pintuck voile. It gives a fun, zestier, look to the top. Congratulations on taking a plain white t-shirt and making it fabulous! I am definitely going to be keeping that in mind, for my T's!

    ReplyDelete