Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

More Corduroy Trousers from Kwik Sew 2960


 We are having a cold snap at the moment and my old corduroy trousers are threadbare.  And I only had one pair, and you really need a couple of pairs to get through the week.  I have already made one pair last week.   So it was out with Spotlight's stretch cotton corduroy, and on with some more fast sewing this week.  Necessity...

And, just in case you are wondering about the lovely pullover I am wearing - I knitted this some years ago.

I used my TNT  and already tweaked pattern for straight stretch pants, Kwik Sew 2960:

 

 This pattern is now OOP.  A pity, because it is a great shape for the straighter figure types amongst us. And, it fits my better than Style Arc pants.  It is designed for stretch fabrics.

As you can see from the pattern picture, the trousers have a front zipper opening.  I decided that this was not necessary for me, as I have small hips.   So I just used an waistband and threaded elastic through that.  There are darts at the back, and no darts at the front - so lots of room for the tummy :).

I used version C as my base, the straight leg pant.   There isn't much to say about this pant except to say I cut size XS hips down, and S waist with a bit more added to make them wide enough for the hips.  The pants legs in the pattern are quite short - usually I lengthen them, but I accidentally forgot to when I cut these.  But I like the shorter length - on petites it can look more flattering than the longer length that touches the shoe.  Bit breezy when you sit down though - I'll have to remember to pull my socks up.

So, without more ado, the front (which looks quite good) ;


 The side - this is the photo view I hate, because I have never liked my almost pre pubescent shape, flat bottom and little tummy.  To say nothing of my little toy soldier posture. I never quite grew up to a womanly shape:


And the back view  - with these pants I added a little at the front and back rise at the waist.  I did not drop the crotch, which I often do. I also folded out an inch under the bottom to try and rid the pants of some of the under bottom sagginess. That's how I forgot the hem allowance - it was more a case of forgetting to add it back on  to the back leg piece after this alteration:


I do think the legs hang a little straighter with these slightly shorter pants.  And although I have some wrinkle still under the bottom, I think this will always happen - I have stick thin legs, so there is always going to be excess fabric.  And in any case, when you are wearing a jumper and actually doing things, they look fine. And they feel comfortable because they fit nicely:

 And really, the back view is no worse than that of anyone else in the real world.  Air brush perfection does not exist.

My black pair of pants was made last week, and I quickly mentioned them   in my April-May-June review.

So, here they are, in more detail.  I added about 1 and a 1/2 cm hem allowance, and instead of adding a little extra at the front and back crotch, I dropped the crotch.  I also had the hem allowance cut correctly onto these trousers.As you can see, the extra length does seem to make the entire leg a bit saggier - it could be because my thin legs do not take up much of the leg space:



Ditto the side - the trousers catch more with the extra length:

And ditto the back - just generally more wrinkles in the leg area. 


But I can live with these imperfections - and I also like the option or wearing a longer leg as well.  And again, with another garment on - which is what we do - the appearance looks much better:


See what I mean??  And I really think my hand knit jumper - once again, made by moi, is the star of this show, with the trousers the supporting act.

I plan to make these again, only the next time I will do the raised rise, not the dropped crotch, and take out the one inch under the bottom, remember to add the inch back plus the hem allowance, and see whether the wrinkles come from the crotch being lowered, or from the pants being a longer length.  Ahh, the wonders of the digital age, allowing us to obsess over the fit of the back of the pants.  I never used to worry years ago, because I couldn't see my back :).  Those were happy sewing days when ignorance was bliss :) :).  Or was it youthful ignorance was bliss??

That's all for now, I'm off to see what your blogs have to show now...oh, and dispose of the old threadbare pants:)

Sarah Liz

P.S.  I liked the cost of these pants - both pants were stretch cotton corduroy, from Spotlight.  The fabric was half price.  So with sewing thread, elastic and needles, about $15.00 each.  I was nearly desparate enough to buy some stretch cord pants, in a colour I did not like and far too skinny in the leg for me - $100.  So my total of $30 for two is well under the cost of one pair that would not fit, was not in a colour I liked and in a style that does not suit me. 



27 comments:

  1. Brilliant sew, Sarah Liz. I was only saying to HB today that I no longer had any warm pants. My two pairs of pure wool flannel were made when my weight was at its highest (but I can't manage to throw them out yet)!.
    Spotlight stretch cord could be my answer too. Off to Spotlight..
    Like you, I have a flat bottom and thin legs, and have difficulty with the fit. Time to have another go, and read all your instructions - carefully! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - yes, weight change is problematic - should you or should you not toss. That's one reason why I like quick and simple clothes with elastic that can be removed and alterations quickly effected.

      Delete
  2. They are a great fit! I like that idea of using a TNT from "straight stretch pants." I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy - straight pants under long tunics would suit you nicely :)

      Delete
  3. Your pants look great - I have such a difficult time with fitting pants. I love the hand knit jumper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - they are hard to fit, I agree. That's why I keep making this pair up over and over again :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful color the first pair, and always can use basic black. Great fit and paired perfect with your lovely jumpers. You sound like me love a bargain You have two lovely outfits to keep you toasty and warm..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana - and I do like good value for money, not throw away fashion.

      Delete
  5. Two great pairs of pants.. The fit is wonderful, and they look really nice on you.
    Great price too.. Happy sewing..
    [it is super hot/humid here, so really hard to think about needing corduroy right now.ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, it's always hard to believe when it is mid summer or winter that the other season will soon exist :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely pants SarahLiz! Is this the holy grail - a trouser TNT?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the length of both, Makes them look distinctively different. And there's nothing wrong with being petite... its suits you. I'm sure you will get plenty of wear out of these makes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - yes, I can't imagine being another size - we sort of adjust to life based on our size sometimes :). I will wear these heaps, you are right :)

      Delete
  8. Aaah, yes. I must try the straight-legged version of this pattern. Your versions are great! Gotta love KS2960!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, KS2960 really works for you :)

      Delete
  9. These look great (Dare I say TNT?). I love how you mention that the sweater is the star and the trousers are the supporting cast -- there is nothing wrong with that! I need to find a TNT pants pattern....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - I think these are TNT :)

      Delete
  10. Absolutely! Your hand knit sweater (jumper) should be the star of the show!! I like both pairs of pants in that they give 2 different 'looks'. We'll just go with 'ignorance can be bliss'.... as it's been a long time since I was 'youthful' and I'm sometimes shocked at how the different sides of my outfit look, thanks to the digital age. But also thanks to the digital age, I do know what I 'really' look like and can try to address some of those issues. The operative word here is 'try'! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - just chuckling at the idea of youthful being some distance past. I love handknits as well - the only drawback though is that a handknit jumper takes a long time to make.

      Delete
  11. These are great trousers! I really love your sweater as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The perfect trousers for the cold snap we are having. Your handknits look very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sweater is awesome! I think the pants look fine - we sewist are so critical of our own work, aren't we? ;-) The low cost of the self-made trousers are just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They will do you in good stead for this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent trousers at a fantastic price compared to unsuitable RTW.

    ReplyDelete