Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Snooze Time - with Snuggly Soft Sleep Masks


 At night I am the first to go to bed.  Chinks of light creep into the bedroom, and I find these disturb me. So I wear a sleep mask. I made my first set two years ago, and they are rather old and shabby, and the elastic has perished.  I have put off making a replacement pair as I don't really like fiddly, small stuff sewing.  Still, needs must.

I cut two pieces of soft cotton, and a piece of wadding is sandwiched between these.  I add a nose piece - you can see the pieces pinned in the picture above.  I place the elastic, ring and slider and then bind the edges:



Done!  Two new sleep masks and about an hour's sewing.  I love these - they are rather oversized because when I first made these I traced an old sleep mask that I had purchased, or that I got on a plane.  Then I absentmindedly added a seam allowance, which you don't need for bound edges.  But I decided I like the large size - absolutely no light gets in at all.  And they are soft and snuggly.  Just right for putting you in a good night's sleep mood.

When I first made these sleep masks, I wrote a little tutorial on how to sew these masks - the adjustable elastic is a bit tricky.   They look very similar to these as I used the same fabric.  If you want to know how to make these masks, just click here: http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/making-sleep-mask.html

Good night, sleep well and sweet dreams everyone :)

Sarah Liz

18 comments:

  1. Oh yes, a sleep mask is a must. Although I have actually weaned myself off them at home (but not earplugs) these are a travel must. I also have a friend who will get some for a birthday gift. Great gift idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - these will make great gifts :)

      Delete
  2. These look so soft they must be a joy to wear. Clever adding the nose piece and making them adjustable. You've thought of all the little details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this--I am also a light sleeper and was considering making or buying a sleep mask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the process of making and wearing a sleep mask. Good way to use the scraps too.

      Delete
  4. So adorable and soft. I might need some for myself too. Have a lovely day, Sarah Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hana, you would love making these, and as gifts too. Have a good day as well :)

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to make some of those forever, but haven't done it. Yours look so soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are - these are the sorts of sewing jobs one puts off.

      Delete
  6. I tried sleep masks once, but they don't survive my barrel-roll sleeping. :D Being a northern girl, I've learned to deal with the excessive light in the summer - doesn't really bother me anymore - but I feel for light sleepers who can't. I hope they work well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. Some people do have the knack of sleeping in light situations - some shift workers can also do that.

      Delete
  7. This look so relaxing -- I am in need of a nap at the moment and these look blissful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are relaxing - they very quickly signal sleep time. You are probably finding the summer holidays hot and tiring.

      Delete
  8. Mmmm. I've never used any but I'm so tired and not sleeping well, I'm wondering if this might help. They look so comfy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as anything, I think the soft factor along with the idea that these are for sleeping actually do help with setting the stage for sleep.

      Delete