Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Back to Basics 1 - The T-shirt collection


Earlier this year I looked in my t-shirt drawer.  It was not an inspiring sight - they are all old and shabby.  So I knew I needed to replace them all, but really was not looking forward to such a tedious sewing job.  I mean, I would rather make something more interesting, but still, we all need those basic, every day garments that you often can't find in shops nowadays in Australia.

I used my basic TNT t-shirt pattern - Kwik Sew 3766:

 
I used combed cotton jersey purchased from Spotlight.  Again, I had 2 metres of 112 wide fabric ($11.99 per metre).  I also had a rib, which although not quite matching, tones in well enough.  That meant I  could squeeze out two tops.  And, as I have learnt - and have blogged about - rib is the best medium for the neckband for this pattern.

I was a little annoyed at not being able to find matching overlocker thread for the seams, because I do like to use matching thread.  I had to resort to grey instead, which I know sort of works, but still, it doesn't quite scratch my obsessive itch regarding matching thread.  Mind you, this doesn't stop me wearing things, in fact I soon forget just after making the garment. There is always the perfect garment with the perfect thread ahead...

So, here is the imperfect t-shirt :) -

And a close up of the offending overlocker thread and the neckband:

I think I can live with this level of imperfection for the lifetime of this t-shirt...

And, just for the record, I really did complete two:


Three more t-shirts to go, and then I have enough to go through a week without washing.  The next two t-shirts are going to have to have a modified neckband, as there is not a matching rib to match the fabric I am using.  It will be narrower, and about the same length as the neck - which I am hoping will work.

I'm off to find out now...

Good luck with your sewing,

Sarah Liz :)


 

 

27 comments:

  1. I love a tee like this in every color to wear under my blazers. Love the color. Sometimes it's hard to find serger thread in the perfect color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got making t-shirts down pat! Soooo impressed with your necklines. They look great.... lay flat.... nice. This is a nice color on you! Sometimes I thread my serger with a variation of different sewing machine threads if I don't have a perfect matching color. Then it all kind of blends in... sort of?! I think this looks fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, I've used colour variety inside as well sometimes, in the hope that it give a special touch!

      Delete
  3. There is nothing like a well made great fitting tee. Happy Birthday Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday from me too!

    You have totally mastered the art of the Tee. I'm a tad envious, I'm still getting there. My necklines are never quite right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and it has taken me a long time to start learning how to get necklines to behave, and I am sure I will have a few that misbehave in the future :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! Out with the old and in with the new tees, and these are really lovely color for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - I agree, nothing quite as therapeutic as a good toss:)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! You did a great job on the tee's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a brilliant birthday and your basic t's look perfect. Matching thread is not always available without spending a fortune on 3 reels of Gutterman thread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - and sometimes, for special things I will spend that fortune on 3 reels of G thread :)

      Delete
  8. Great job on the neckline! Both t-shirts are pretty and sure you will wear them a lot :)
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need some basic plain t-shirts, too. I seem to have only print ones at the moment. Nice work and I like the blue, of course. Our colour :) Hope you had a terrific birthday yesterday and many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday SarahLiz - I love your Tshirts and like you I need new ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacquianne - I guess you know what is next on your sewing list now :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely colour, perfect tee shirts. I started trying to use matching overlocker thread then I came across a couple where I just couldn't. In any case, storage of so many reels is an issue as of course is cost plus I don't make that many garments anyway. Now I only buy the perfect colour for special garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - yes storing sewing things is quite a problem - I am starting to take over the mantlepiece :)

      Delete
  12. Lovely colour, perfect tee shirts. I started trying to use matching overlocker thread then I came across a couple where I just couldn't. In any case, storage of so many reels is an issue as of course is cost plus I don't make that many garments anyway. Now I only buy the perfect colour for special garments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this colour on you! These type of shirts are so useful for layering in the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your perfectly imperfect shirt! It's such a lovely colour and looks really good on you. :)

    ReplyDelete