Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Thank you for your Birthday Greetings.

 Thank you everyone for your Birthday greetings recently.  I wasn't going to make too much of an announcement about it this year, but Facebook had other ideas.  But I was thrilled with your thoughts.

I was also lucky enough to be given this lovely machine.  As you know, I have been attempting to learn to sew with knits this year.  I'm now getting there, and I said to myself, when you are getting the hang of knits, then, and only then, will you buy a coverstitch machine.  It's no good buying a machine if you are not serious about using it.  I mentioned my thoughts to DH, and he decided he wanted to buy me one.  So I said it had to be a combined birthday and xmas gift, because they are not cheap.   I was presented with this a few weeks ago, because DH thought there might be a learning curve involved and that I might want to get started.  And for other reasons, which I shall share later...(mystery!!)



The machine is a little tricky to thread, but the tension settings are all shown on the right.  The machine can do 3 thread coverstitch, but I removed on needle to do a 2 thread coverstitch.  I had to learn to thread it, and to get the tension right.  Tensions are all shown on the right hand side of the machine, if you look at the picture above.

Below is a picture of the inside looper - it's really quite fascinating:

Ready top sew:

 I got skipped stitches of course - see the bottom row of these pictures.  So I re-threaded the machine,  adjusted the tension ( I could feel the skipped stitches sample was too tight) and presto, perfect coverstitching!


No doubt I will have more to learn about how to fold hems and actually work on a garment with this machine, but for now, I'm pretty pleased with the gift and my learning progress.

Bye for now,

Sarah Liz :)


he

14 comments:

  1. Have fun getting to know your machine. Looking forward to seeing everything that you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! So happy for you :) Have fun and enjoy your new machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sarah Liz! If any girl deserves to have a Coverlock, it is you :)
    You will learn and love it in no time, going by your other sewing efforts. I'm selfishly looking forward to your posts about Coverlocks - maybe you will even inspire me to get one ..... one day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday to you! Sounds like it was a great one. I shall be watching your progress with your Coverstitch - I got one last year and I am struggling with skipped stitches . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!

    What a great treat. I'm sure you'll have it mastered in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated Happy Birthday! Enjoy using your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Happy Birthday! Enjoy using your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most excellent gift - did he do the shopping & choosing with you? Will you now buy each colour thread in multiple spools for the sewing machine + overlocker + cover lock ? How many will that mean - 10?

    Wishing you much joy with the cover lock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic gift! You will really enjoy those knits now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello Sarah,what a beautifull gift.I am sure you will enjoy it a lot and use it,!But,one question,can you sew and cut the fabRic at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and many, many more! Perfect gift for an awesome seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovey gift from your DH and one that you will enjoy I am certain. The best place for information about your Coverstitch is over at Pattern Review on this message board and also don't hesitate to email me if you have any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so envious! I would love one of these as I use knits a lot. Looking forward to seeing how you use it. Enjoy! And belated Happy Birthday. I don;t get to go on FB that often so I missed it. Sorry :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday abit late, nice present what a nice husband you have.

    ReplyDelete