Pages

Friday, September 25, 2015

Feeling Blue X 2, Butterick 3383.


It's time to start sewing again after my protracted absence (I traveled abroad for 6 weeks).  I find that whenever I have had a break from sewing, my first few attempts when I restart are a little woeful.  But you just have to start and get back past this stage and get the brain rewired and thinking about sewing again. 

I made sure that I had a couple of simple tops cut out before I went away, because I am even worse at cutting than sewing when restarting.

I wanted a couple of really loose cotton tee tops for summer.  We have a really hot and humid climate, and you just don't want anything to cling.   And boxy tops are really in at the moment - and with Butterick 3383 in my stash, now was a good time to pull it out.


I used a  fine blue cotton jersey  which was in my stash,  purchased from The Remnant Warehouse's online store.

The top does not have bust darts, so I would not make this in a woven - unless it had some sort of give in it, like cheesecloth. I don't like woven tops that have no darts.  But I have no problem using this pattern with a knit fabric.

I cut view C, the shorter length with sleeves,  in size XS.  This gives a finished bust measurement of 38 inches, which is much larger than my bust.  But I wanted loose and boxy, so I decided this was the right size for me to use to achieve my goal. 

I knew the neckline would just slide over to and down my shoulders, so I altered the neckline and faced it - I think the Butterick pattern used a binding,  which I did not want.    I knew what I wanted to do, the pattern was just the base for the idea. I also shortened by half an inch along the L/S line as I am petite. 

As I am short on time today (and just like the tops, feeling a bit blue with  having done a squillion and one jobs since I have returned, with quite a few more still waiting) -  I shall just post pictures of the garment:

Front - and I told you it was loose and boxy.... Design objective achieved: 


Side view - which I quite like :



Back (and I really must learn to straighten things before I take a photo:



A very quick and easy sew, loose and cool and boxy and comfortable to wear when summer comes:


And, I had just enough fabric to make two:



These are not the most perfect tops I have made, but I don't let perfection get in the way of the start up practice I need again.  They are wearable and do just the job I want them to do and I got some sewing practice.  So I call that a really great outcome.

Now to go and tackle something else and keep the practice flowing.

Until later, please take care and good luck with your sewing,

Sarah Liz



20 comments:

  1. Cute top .
    Proud you had such a nice vacation. Nothing better than getting a break from every day life..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, yes, a break is nice, but there is always a lot to catch up on when you get back...

      Delete
  2. Lovely tops! Baby blue looks so good on you :) Glad that you managed to sew two tops after your holiday, I am still stuck in my September blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - and September is not yet over :)

      Delete
  3. Great fitting and useful tops for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this top - I def's need to grab this pattern ready for summer ... you are spot on with needing at least 2 of these tops ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you again - yes, this is one of those patterns you wouldn't glance at, but useful for summer - it's sort of like the sorbetto with sleeves. I find sleeves useful.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes. Just the thing for hot summers. I love that light blue - it's one blue I can wear and I think it looks good on most people. I have a similar pattern from the '80's I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great shade of blue - I can see you in it as well. I think this pattern has been in the catalogue for yonks - it looks like an 80's style to me!!

      Delete
  6. Summer is slowly winding down here but one always needs a basic top for those hot and humid days. Getting back into sewing after a break isn't difficult but it does take something 'light' to get the rhythm back. These were a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will be going the other way - I'm glad we are heading into Spring, because I hate winter. Yes, getting the rhythm and eye/hand coordination back is what simple sewing post break is useful for :)

      Delete
  7. Some nice tops there! You can never go wrong with a great, well fitting Tshirt pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this pattern! I love the look on you! Guess I must make one for myself. I must use a size medium. I have several pieces of cotton knit, but something with just a tiny bit more heft would work great too. Since we're going into fall and winter here, I will probably make the three quarter sleeves . Downstairs I go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this pattern! I love the look on you! Guess I must make one for myself. I must use a size medium. I have several pieces of cotton knit, but something with just a tiny bit more heft would work great too. Since we're going into fall and winter here, I will probably make the three quarter sleeves . Downstairs I go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I know what you mean by starting back after a break. Good start back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're such a quick sewist! It seems like every other day you're posting about yet another great top or pants or something. :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two lovely tops and light blue looks so pretty on you! Looks like you are getting back into sewing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's difficult to get back into the routine of sewing when you have been away. I should have cut out things too! These look great and what a good idea to make two while you're at it. Happy Sewing. TS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hadn't seen that pattern. I need some simple tops for holidays and this looks like a winner. Great tops (wow to making 2!) they will keep you cool in summer and that blue goes with almost everything x

    ReplyDelete