Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Looking frazzled in my new work pants - Kwik Sew 2960 again.


These trousers took me a total of five hours, and that was not pushing myself, to make - cutting, sewing and hand sewing the hems.  And then I wore them straight away :).  They are made out of stretch bengaline - a mix of 72% viscose, 24% nylon, and 6% elastane.   I purchased it at Spotlight, on a half price sale, so the total fabric cost for these trousers was $11-03.  Plus elastic, thread, serger thread - say $16- $17 dollars.  And they fit and are very comfortable to wear.  Better than RTW - and the cheapest I can purchase is $49.95 plus postage of $9.95.  And the RTW version  does not fit well, and always needs the hem to be taken up. Give me five hours of leisurely sewing from cut to finish in preference any day:).

I used Kwik Sew 2960 again- you will find all my previous posts here. Now up to 9 pairs of pants from this pattern.

This is the pattern envelope - I used version C, but eliminated the zip and added elastic at the waist - so the waistband became my elastic casing.  I also raised both the front and back rise.  I used size XS from hips down and S at high hips/waist.  There are back darts.

 

There isn't really much to say except I think these look better than my RTW work pants.  I'll show you these first and then post my RTW work pants for comparison.




( I think my me-made t-shirts look better than this old RTW one as well - certainly not as much riding up into the middle of the back).


RTW Bengaline Pants

Me Made Bengaline Pants.

My home sewn trousers looks as good as the RTW ones, in fact, slightly better fitted around the hips and bottom.  
*****


I'm looking rather frazzled in these pictures - I literally had just finished the pants, and then dashed to the office to do some paperwork, then home to do some housework, and then some packing for going away. So my hair is all over the place, and I quickly decided to take these pictures and post them for today - the day that I am due back from a holiday. In fact, the last few posts were scheduled :).  So in a few days, when the jet lag is past it's worst, and unpacking done, the washing attended and the mail sorted, I'll tell you about it.  And get back to some sewing, which I can't wait to do :).

And I can't wait to catch up with all you have been doing as well.

Bye for now,

Sarah Liz :)


26 comments:

  1. Five hours? Wow, that's great. You're going to have one super wardrobe and isn't that great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been working on this wardrobe plan for some time now :)

      Delete
  2. Five hours! As you say, no choice. I hope you had a great holiday and that the jet lag is not too bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - jet lag okay, and planning my next round of sewing :)

      Delete
  3. Super pants, Sarah Liz. Only 5 hours? You are a whiz - I can spend 5 hours just cutting something out. The pants look a perfect fit, so I'd be making them over and over too. Can't wait to hear about your travel adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I really don't like speed sewing, but just wanted to get the job done. I know these pants well now, so could make them in my sleep as well :)

      Delete
  4. Nice pants! I hope you had a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only five hours! Aren't you the speedy one? They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, I was speedy with these - not always the case though :)

      Delete
  6. I agree with you on the greatness that is KS2960! To date, I've made four pair and intend to keep going. Making them in five hours is most impressive! Well done. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, KS2960 is a great shape for you and I. And I have made these so often, five hours is no big deal :)

      Delete
  7. Those are super! YOu've got the fit down to a tee. And speaking of tees, those colours sooooo suit you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - having basics that you can just run up that fit is a great boon, although it can also get boring too :).

      Must start wearing more colour :)

      Delete
    2. Yes basics are essential but never the most exciting of makes!

      Delete
  8. Sooo much better than RTW. Fantastic fit and they will go with so much. I would make another pair because I can see they are going to get a lot of wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine - and I have started stashing more fabric to make more of these next winter. I'll make summer ones in a lightweight stretch cotton soon :)

      Delete
  9. You have a lot of lovely basics....great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - making our own basics is so worthwhile :)

      Delete
  10. Five hours is terrific! I don't manage that with my 'tired' n' true New Look pattern. Perhaps I should give these a try? They definitely fit better than the rtw version. Hope you had a wonderful holiday. Regards TS

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a fast sewist! Love the pants and it fits you nicely. Welcome back and hope you had a great holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you made it back safely! I do not know what is worse: Jet-lag or house stuff after a trip. You can never go wrong with a 5-hour black pair of trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fantastic pants in 5 hours that leave RTW well behind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These trousers look amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete