Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Quick ReFashion - His to Hers



Over the last couple of weeks I have been wishing I had a pair of knit trousers to wear in the evenings - just warm enough to keep the cool of the evening manageable, but not too hot, as the humidity levels are already rising on the mid-east coast of N.S.W.

(Before I continue the post, I just want to mention the lighting problem for photographs as the moment - I am not sure why, but our latest bulbs seem to cast a death like grey  pallor on the skin (or maybe I look like as bad as this and never noticed!)  and also creates shadows.  I'm taking these in the evening,as I often have to do,  so they have to be on.  I don't have a nice light room to take photographs in during the day, and outside is often not viable here as the weather is often wet at this time of year.  Sigh, a problem to work on... ).

Back to the post...

I had absolutely no inclination to make them, as the ideal fabric was currently in the form of PJ pants in the softest, nicest, lighter weight cotton knit I have ever felt.  They had been worn once, so I snaffled them and put them in my stash.  But the problem was I hate doing refashions of any sort.  Too many constraints and often unpicking to do before you can even cut out:




BUT, THE FABRIC WAS SO GORGEOUS...

Now, the constraints - if you look closely at the photograph above, you will see that the inside leg is twisting to the front - so this means these pants have not been cut on the grain.

The other constraint was that these were one seam pants - no side seams.  So I could only make a one seam pant.  I chose McCalls 6173:



I have made this pattern up a number of times as a slim leg pant, and not a legging.  I have never really bothered fitting it properly, as the garments made were always urgently needed.  And they were always PJ pants or track pants.  (For those of you who are interested in my earlier versions, all posts can be found here:Leggings as slim pants.  )

And I did the same thing this time.  These are urgent need pants, so I just got on and made them.    I have already traced and modified the pattern piece.  I used size M and added more to the rise.  Not sure how much, because that is not noted on my tracing.

I took the pants apart and also removed the elastic in the waistband for re-using - it was a nice width and not easy to buy.  Tedious as there was a lot of unpicking involved in that.  I located the grainline down the cut open legs of the trousers and marked that with chalk.  With knits, you can find the grainline by following a line of rib.  Not easy with a fine knit like this - I  had magnifying glasses on to do this job.

Then I laid my pattern pieces out - and found I had to undo the hems of the original legs.  Have you ever undone cover stitching???  Even more tedious than removing the elastic.

Then I made the pants.  That was the easy part.   And this is the result:



(I'm wearing the pants with a t-shirt I made a couple of years ago - a modified version of New Look 6216. Original post here.  It's become old enough to be a cosy lounge wear partner for these pants).

As we all like to see how things fit, I'll do the only between sewers photographs next.




 I seem to have the rise about right on these pants now - the 1 1/4 inch elastic is perfect.  I did not do an under bottom adjustment but I can see that I should do this.  Also, I could take out some fullness in the inner, upper leg.  Otherwise I like these - for what they are.

I  can see these  being modified into a pair of jogger look pants...on the list of ever growing plans.

But for now, back on with my cover-up top, which I am afraid is a RTW.  I found it recently for a few dollars.  Not entirely my style, but fun for warmer evenings.  And when I get tired of it, plenty of fabric to make a new style of top.


Bye for now,

Sarah Liz :)



23 comments:

  1. Sarahliz, really nice pants..You did a great job. refashioning them. [I too, hate refashion.....tooo much work,ha]
    Your rtw top is pretty too.
    ps-- I don't know anything about lighting, but you look pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - for all the nice thoughts :)

      Delete
  2. Love the new secret pj's. Awesome remodelling job on the existing pants too.

    I'd suggest an uplight to counter the downlight. Experiment with a placing a study lamp on the floor and aiming it at your knees. The biggest hassle is keeping it out of frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secret pj's - I love that idea too. Must make some more.

      I'll play around with a study lamp - I may also try and find somewhere else to use for photos.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of secret pyjamas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of secret pyjamas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're cute! What a good refashion. :) And I like that you can toss a top over it and run out for a bit. Nothing like secret pyjammas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like those lazy sort of clothes :)

      Delete
  6. Nice and comfy pants! I need some to wear in winter :) I like your t-shirt as well, they look good together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - these sorts of clothes are just so useful, just not so pretty as some other sewing jobs :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the refashion! The pants look great on you. I suppose this pattern will be a tried and true pattern for you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, I'll use this a lot for this sort of pant.

      Delete
  8. I quite like unpicking, reusing and turning something into something else. I must be strange. Your pants look great and well worth all the tedious work necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother does as well Kathy - I can do it, but prefer not too. However, if it is a choice between tossing something good or refashioning it, I'll refashion. Not easy to throw good things away - or take them to charity, sometimes :)

      Delete
  9. another great pair of pants made . Slim fitting pants make a good contrast to longer tops . I do not enjoy refashioning either. I have a dress and fleecy jacket that I sewed and have kept to refashion but it is just so much easier to get a flat piece fabric out and use that. I am sure I will eventually get to them .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, there is something about that nice, new, piece of fabric - I think it looks less tired and so more appealing.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sarah Liz. Well these pants look wonderful on you. The fact of being so slim makes you an ideal candidate ( IMO ) for slim pants which I love even if I'm not all that slim !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah Liz. Well these pants look wonderful on you. The fact of being so slim makes you an ideal candidate ( IMO ) for slim pants which I love even if I'm not all that slim !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are lovely on you. You so suit slim fit trousers. I like them with both tops, and as they are so comfy and practical you will get a lot of wear out of them x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on all that unpicking, definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great and work all of the work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah Liz, I must have been having deja-blog as I was sure I had written this on here already, and even waited for it to turn up. Anyway :-) what a great idea for converting a pair of leggings into tighter trousers, rather than the other way round, which I have tried myself a time or two with abject failure. I never get the legs the right width. Widening is so much better than narrowing! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete