Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2015

I finally got something made :)




I am not quite sure how I did it, but I managed to sit down and sew again this week.  I chose a simple pattern that has been on my list for some time.  Butterick 5044.

Line Drawing

You can't really see clearly from the image, but these pants have no side seams.  Front and back leg are cut in one piece.  And the waistband is cut on - you just fold it over and insert the elastic.   Which makes for quick and easy sewing for when you are a bit out of practice - and it doesn't take me long to get out of practice.

I was highly sceptical that these pants would actually work and look good, although it has had good reviews.  But look - they do work....


These are fantastic, fun, casual pants.  I cut size small, length D (cropped)  and did not make any alterations to the main pattern piece-everything was fine, including the rise and shape of the crotch.  The pants sit at the waist as my following picture shows:



I used a cheap calico from Spotlight, as these pants are just for getting back into sewing and intended to be worn as house pants.    I like them though, and can see variations in nice fabric for wearing out and about.    And I don't mind calico for white garments that are trials - poor man's linen, is what I happily say to myself :)

I did use the patch part of the pocket on view C - but moved the patch up to hip level instead of lower down the leg - which I would find irritating, because you would have to bend to the side every time you wanted to put or pull out a tissue from the pocket - which for me, is hundreds of times a day as I have hay fever/allergic rhinitis.  And, they are situated over the side of the pants, half to the front and half to the back, which I love.

I finished the casing by turning it under - I am a bit fussy with how I finish seams with white garments, as everything shows.  


(I use a bit of ribbon to mark the back - this is a nice bit salvaged from a Tessuti fabric parcel.  Just right for jobs like this :).  My overlocking is a bit woeful though - the eye/hand/machine co-ordination is not quite back yet.  Still, that's inside and no worse than some RTW.  And I got practice, which I need at the moment.

And the hems were just overlocked and turned up:


Now of course I am not going to wear these with a  black t-shirt tucked in - I always wear shirts outside, as I don't have one of those nipped in waists, and I am short-waisted to boot.  So, this is more what they will look like on me:








Aren't they nice?  I can see many more of these in my future, whenever I want a quick, easy, casual pant.

That's it for now, off to get some more practice....

Sarah Liz

39 comments:

  1. Very cute - nice to have an easy project but I think YOU made them look easy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen - believe you me, these were easy :)

      Delete
  2. Cute pants and they look so fresh in the white, and perfect for the beautiful Spring weather we have been having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, just the thing too for were I live, a very casual town.

      Delete
  3. What a nice fresh start and they turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually these are super cute and stylish! I love them. You look fantastic in the black & white, so chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - they are lovely, I agree :)

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, these do look good, Sarah Liz. So on trend, cool and very sophisticated, all at once! Must check out this pattern..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do - it's a simple make for those casual, hot weather trousers you will need in January :)

      Delete
  6. These suit you so well! They would look lovely in a border print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and velosewer has a pair with a border print on her blog.

      Delete
  7. These look Geat on you, like the pockets

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute ... They look really nice on you. Happy sewing. Proud you got to sew something..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay sewing again-- and pants that fit right off the bat.. Good karma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back on the sewing horse. Well done. I am a fan of trousers that actually sit at your waist rather than below which seams to be most these days. Good call on the pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - below the waist pants just slide down and feel tight across the tummy.

      Delete
  11. Quick projects are so gratifying! Well done. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look really good and the fit is pretty good too. I like your more practical pocket placement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice looking pants Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so nice. The way the legs fall is lovely and straight from the waist. I really must have a look at this one. Thanks Sarah Liz. I hope the fight back to full sewing strength is going well 😀. Trish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, Sarah Liz. It suits you so nicely :) Perfect to wear in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing. Such great fit straight out of the envelope and a very nice shape for something so simple. I am always impressed with these drafting magicians.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Skeptical?? These fit wonderfully and look very stylish. Love the white and black combo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look fabulous on you! I serge my hems and turn my waistbands the exact same ways! When I find a pattern like that, I go with it, and make at least a half dozen. I normally have to shorten the crotch, but I am going to seriously think about that style. Fabulous sewing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pants look great! This is one of my tried and true pants/shorts pattern. With no side seams, what's not to love? I'm sure you will make lots of flowy pants like this with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look very comfy. Good idea to reposition the pockets.

    ReplyDelete