Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2015

July-September Review, and a Wardrobe Tidy Up



Today I am not going to write in my usual blog style at all - I have had one of those weeks were I have been tired and lacklustre, and not feeling like sewing at all.  This is rare for me, I can usually force myself to sew even if I am tired.  

So, what I will do today is just quickly recap my makes from July to September.  And tell you about my wardrobe toss out and tidy up.  This may be boring to most of you who have already seen these garments, or are not interested in what I toss and keep, but it sort of provides some sort of continuity for me, as one of my behind the scenes goals was to record what I had made every month, what works and what doesnt.  That has not happened as well as I would like on the blog, but perhaps in October...!

And for once, I will not be posting lots of pictures in my July to September recap.   Most of you have seen them anyway, and for those new to my blog, I will be linking back to my gallery so you can have a look see there, if you want.

So, in July and August  I made:     2 PAIRS OF STRETCH CORDUROY PANTS, 2 LONG SLEEVE T-SHIRTS,  LISETTE TOP USING OLD T'S AND SCRAPS, 5 LONG SLEEVE T-SHIRTS,  REFASHIONED KNIT TOP and 1 PAIR OF STRETCH BENGALINE PANTS


You will find these in the Gallery, if you want to see them:  click here.

I schedule posted most of the August-September  makes during this period as I was away.  I also managed to make some  Infinity scarves (worn nearly every day while I was travelling)  and knitted a few neck warmers as well.

I have had a request for a tutorial for how to make an infinity scarf.  When I have a little less to do, I will try  do this - probably over the Xmas period, when I have some time off.

*****
So, this week I went through my wardrobe.  I haven't done this for a few years, because life went in a different direction and I was quite pre-occupied.  But I really could not fit any more into the my wardrobes or drawers, and I want to make a few more things yet. So something had to give.

And Give I did.  I found some RTW clothes that have never been worn, never will be worn, and won't be worn ( guess who learnt to conjugate Latin verbs as a child - that was quite good fun).  

So off the the Op Shop they went....

And into the bin or into the duster or muslin making pile went old lingerie and t-shirts. 

Then I had to consider my Me Made garments - not so easy, because you are more emotionally attached to them.  But out went:

Skirt, made in 2013, and which I loved, but I had worn to death, and it was really very tatty...


 My slim leg pants, also made in 2013. made from a larger size of a leggings pattern (gosh, I'm glad I got my hair cut).   I wore these to death too, until I got really tired of them.  Patterns like this are not me, but I did enjoy these and needed the fun aspect in my life then: 


And my stretch twill pants, which I also made in 2013.  While I loved these, they just did not really go with anything.  They also wore me, and I felt quite uncomfortable.  So, after a lot of soul searching, they went.  Not to the Op Shop, I would have been quite upset seeing them on someone else, because I was more attached to these - I learnt a lot, and found the pattern that worked for me for basic elastic waist stretch pants.  And they were too cool to wear in winter, and too warm in the warmer season: 


I also got rid of my white damask pants, made in 2014.  I enjoyed making them, but again, the fabric is too thick for warmer spring days, so I just wasn't wearing them.  I have learnt a little more what fabrics are comfortable to wear in the seasons here.  Still, this is how one learns:


And some hard thinking here - these pants are a great weight for summer, but I just felt frumpy and awful in them.  I think they are just too reminiscent of the first time chambray denim was in, and they just weren't working for me.   I would force myself to wear them, because, you know, I had made them, waste not, want not, and all those other phrases those of us who grew up back then are familiar with.  They look nice in the picture, but the reality was I wasn't happy in them.  Both the damask and the chambray did go to the Op Shop.


While I do like the pants, I think a white pair in linen would be better - and a navy pair, or at the very least, a darker denim.  I am learning my style is very classic, and the white damask are a little less classic, and the chambray a little bit too casual. Mind you, I do like some casual clothes, it just depends... 

That was the end of the Me Made toss out - there is more to go, but that can wait.  Winter things - and I know what happens if you toss before you have made the replacement - the cupboard is bare.  I have made a list though, so I know what to make.

And I also tossed bits and pieces of make up that didn't get used, or I didn't like.

So now I am ready for some spring and summer sewing - and I have some space in my wardrobe for my new garments.

What about you? Do you have trouble throwing out your Me Made Garments?  Or can you say, this does not suit me, extract the lesson, and move on?

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Sarah Liz.

28 comments:

  1. Well done! I'm further behind you in my journey to find what suits and I still have so many mistake makes, though I do learn a lot from each. Interestingly, I've found that it's necklines that are the biggest issue. I made the mistake, it seems now, of tossing and deciding to go on a RTW fast - as you suggested, the cupboard was bare (far from it but the things I actually wore were becoming tatty) and I'm too slow a sewer to bridge the gap. I've broken my fast, though that wasn't easy. I tried to sew faster but 'festina lente'. Enjoy your new makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all a long process - and RTW is fine to bridge the gaps.

      Delete
  2. Throwing out handmade garments can be difficult at times, but it has to be done if you take sewing seriously! I can't imagine what my home would look like if I had kept everything I've sewn or knitted in 40 years :S I made some exceptions though. I preserved a tiny collection of garments (around 8 pieces) that I don't wear anymore for various reasons, but still 'spark joy'. The rest is gone, just like I would handle RTW. Since I started blogging I like how even the garments that got worn to death are still around in a way because they were documented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are quite right - many things have been tossed in my youth through necessity. And no blog to record then - perhaps just as well, given my youthful clothing follies.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you have been feeling under par, Sarah Liz, and I hope things pick up soon. Perhaps you have the post-holiday trip malaise which I seem to get :) Change of season is the best time for these clean outs, and you have done an excellent job there. I am usually relieved to toss out things I have made which for whatever reason don't get worn much or at all, as they sit there making me feel guilty. Off to Vinnie's, I say! Like Marianne, I do keep some very special things even after many years. There is an old wardrobe out in the garage.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - yes, I think I do have some degree of post trip malaise. And yes, I feel relief too - no more emotions wasted on things that don't work. Special things often get tossed eventually - I just don't have anywhere for them.

      Delete
  4. I do closet culls twice a year when I change things out for the season. It is hard to discard those me-made items. Hope you get your sewing mojo back soon. Looks like you're going to need new pants. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am going to have to follow your example and cull regularly. Pants are on the list :)

      Delete
  5. I too do closet culls twice a year and never think of the things in terms of handmade vs RTW. If it's got to go, it's got to go!

    I love that you were able to get rid of things that weren't making you happy.

    I like your new makes and especially the white Butterick top and the Kwik Sew tees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Smith, I admire the way you can so clearly get rid of things - I am going to have to take a leaf out of your book.

      Delete
  6. Well done - I love th feeling after completing a good wardrobe cull. Or a de-clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it interesting to review and reflect on style choices and design details? You always look put together and fresh...so whatever pieces go to the op shop, I know there will be more to take their place.

    I often try out new patterns using less than stellar fabric and those items stay with me for a season, then they go. Lately, I am working blue colorways into my wardrobe and so what doesn't mix with the new basics is on the back hangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess the fact that these clothes did not suit a more put together look was one reason they had to go. I also use less than stellar fabric for try outs- and sometimes love the results :)

      Delete
  8. Out with the old in with the new! Doesn't it feel good to get a clean start, and tossing the items you don't really care for? I have done a lot this last year, and keep editing again and again. I had a lot of items I made that I was not enthused with so out they went. Look forward to seeing your new makes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a good feeling - a fresh start in any area of life always feels invigorating. New makes coming soon.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes a good clear out is like cleansing the soul. I find it quite therapeutic. And now you have room to replenish the stocks! Love that skirt btw; no wonder you have worn it out. Oh and i like the longer hair as well as the shorter :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dawn, decluttering is very therapeutic, I agree - and so is replenishing the stocks :)

      Delete
  10. I too, do a closet cull once a year..I always think "but what if I decide to wear it later?" But, I must rid some things.. no need to fill the closet, with things we don't wear.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the little doubt of what if isn't it - but I find that if I have things that will do in it's place, that it is easier to get rid of the what if item.

      Delete
  11. I quite enjoy culling! I haven't sent away any hand mades yet. The few I don't wear anymore have been recycled back into the sewing pile, and pulled apart for notions,muslin fabric, and small sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting things back to be remade is seriously admirable, but I think I would drown in the bits and pieces :)

      Delete
  12. Ooo, tossing me-mades are tough, but sometimes you just need to be honest with yourself. Good on you, taking a hard look and clearing out some room. Now you can make more!

    I've gotten rid of tons of me-mades. Some were easy and I barely thought about it. Others were more tough. Some of those went into the bin I keep to remake someday (maybe) or use the fabric for something else. Heh, and still others I regret tossing - including a skirt I made from a pair of curtains once, and tossed without thinking while moving to a different province. Later on, I deeply regretted it.

    But I still have the pattern around somewhere, so maybe I'll just have to remake them. I even have a tiny bit of the original fabric left, which would be perfect for pocket linings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes one does regret tossing things, but that doesn't happen often - and as you say, it provides an excuse for a remake of something you know you love :)

      Delete
  13. Great question! It is hard to get rid of things that you have made I find. I have another dilemma which stems from that waste not want not era - I am making up different patterns to find TNT shirts at present and am finding it hard to just toss the rejects without finishing, but I do not finish them they are just taking up space and making me very guilty and acting as demotivators. Anyone else with the same problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is hard sometimes - but if these items are just making you feel guilty and demotivated, then they are costing you dearly - deep breath, toss them, and be free to move on.

      Delete
  14. Gosh, good for you! I am slowly moving things out of my house, re-homing when I can to people who will want and appreciate them, or else the "Op Shop", bin, or rags. But I also want to do the exercise that Ms Kondo describes in "the Life-changing magic of tidying up" where you pull out all your clothes, every single thing, and then sort through and decide what brings you joy (keep), what doesn't (pass along). Sometime this fall I hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I have to go through things too - slowly, I think - I could not put months aside as Kondo suggests in her book - but certainly some of her principles are interesting. Good luck...

      Delete