Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Reviewing the Stash...



Having discarded a few clothes last week that did not work for me, it was time to review the stash.  Mostly the fabrics work for me, but the aqua piece above certainly does not - very much the wrong colour and the wrong sort of rounded pattern for my shape.  I have a mid contrast soft, cool, muted colouring, and this is very bright and clear.

I even attempted to make something of it.  I thought it might do for a hot weather throw on dress, but it just looked seriously awful - which is what happens when you attempt to use fabric that is just not right for you.

Of course, I fell into the trap of buying it because it was very cheap.  How many of us do that I wonder?

But because it was also cheap, it was also easy to get rid of it and move on.

Mind you, buying fabrics because they are cheap, if you do purchase the wrong colour and/or pattern often enough is going to get very expensive...

Because you are not going to like the results.

Whatever you do.

Better to use it for making a muslin to test the fit of a garment or to give it a way ...

I think I can use most of the rest of my stash - much is not in the right colour, but mostly still in the cool range, so I will manage, I think.  I will just have to spend time thinking through how best to make it work.

Some of you probably have similar problems, and may even make up your stash and not like the result.  I always try and get some idea of what a garment might look like by holding up the fabric and seeing what it looks like - sometimes I think I will make a blouse out of something, and the fabric just says no, it wants to be pants.

I've also been tidying up my threads - they are now in large 400gm Moccona Coffee Jars on a mantlepiece:


And now have dedicated containers for things like interfacings, elastics, and things of that sort:


Which now means there is more room elsewhere to store other bits and pieces like lace, binding, tapes and so on:


Sorry about the poor light - I took the last two photos last night and probably should have turned on more lights.  Still, like you, I'm just an ordinary sewer and that is what I am interested in...

Well, I'm starting to perk up again, and may even get a simple garment sewn tomorrow - I have caught up on all the main post holiday things that pile up, so am looking forward to a nice sewing day.

And The Remnant Warehouse has a sale tomorrow for online orders only - so you know what I am also going to do.  Tossing out one piece of cheap fabric that did not work for me  means it needs replacing...probably by much more that one piece :)...by pieces that do work for me.


15 comments:

  1. Wow, just spent 15 minutes browsing the Remnant Warehouse - never been there before - thanks for the tip! Inspirational tidy-up and creative storage in your sewing cave there. Mine is a tip :( I have no talent for filing in any form. I know what you mean about buying the fabric which suits us. We all make those mistakes, mine usually being in mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to be strong and not look. Sounds like you had a wonderful break away. I was definitely thinking about researching Hamlet but did not get around to it. I will definitely do this in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been able to hold off buying fabric for awhile now because of that! If I don't really like it, it's not that cheap!!!

    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been sorting through my stash lately, I find it hard to get rid of things! I always think one day it may be useful. Not a great attitude when trying to streamline! Must feel good to be organised, enjoy your next make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been sorting through my stash lately, I find it hard to get rid of things! I always think one day it may be useful. Not a great attitude when trying to streamline! Must feel good to be organised, enjoy your next make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like Louise... Sometimes it really does come in handy but often that takes too long. I'm half way through my sorting of the sewing room so I'm impressed with your organisation. I'm going to try and resist the sale... I just bought some online... my first time from a shop - http://janies-fabrics.myshopify.com. It is stuff I have been looking for, for a long time so I caved. I should receive it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah Liz, I was cleaning up my stash last weekend. Found some fabrics that I don't like and give them away. It was hard to do that, but I have to. For now, I am trying not to buy fabrics until I use all my stash :)

    Love to see your organised stash. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well considering you haven't picked up back to normal yet, you're doing great things. I agree with being attracted to things that don't suit because if low cost but as you say expensive in the end. I'm trying, I really am! I got my course portfolios back and cleared out all the toiles I had made (lots!) - then I couldn't find the waistcoat toile. Cue husband searching in recycling bin by torchlight. Some I had given to sewing tutor, that's where it was. Now if I had been properly organised...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am studiously avoiding fabric sales. I have enough and it feels very good to say that.

    I usually have a garment in mind for fabric prior to purchase. It rarely changes for me, but my kids! A whole new learning process is going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always fall into the trap of buying cheap fabric (the thought of why past up when it is only $xxx/yard?? always travels trough my head). I have whittled my stash down to fabrics I love. Now I just need to sew with them instead of holding on to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to follow your example. I have a week off shortly (yay!!) and my big plan is to a) laze about and read a lot and b) clean out my sewing area. It's getting out of control, and even starting to annoy me...and I have a lot of tolerance for the organize-by-pile method. I have a feeling I'll be passing along quite a bit of "cheap" fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes a good clear out is as refreshing as a change. And it's nice to be organised! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Feels refreshing to toss and organize. I think we have all been there buying the cheap fabric and then regretting it. I have a few in my stash too and I need to toss, but keep holding on to thinking I can use them for something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At one time I had such a large stash, I had it all in totes and boxes in my sewing room, family room and garage, that there was no way, I could remember what I had. I felt completely overwhelmed and the joy of purchasing and picking out fabric was gone. I went through and donated all but a choice few pieces. What a load it took off my shoulders! I knew the fabric would be put to good use and I got back that loving feeling again. Each project became a joy once again. My stash is totally under control now. If something has been hanging around to long and I keep pushing it aside, I have several charity organizations that are happy to get the fabric. Now my problem is I need to use up about 6 jelly rolls. I pulled one apart yesterday for my BIL and his girlfriend. Making them a nautical quilt for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At one time I had such a large stash, I had it all in totes and boxes in my sewing room, family room and garage, that there was no way, I could remember what I had. I felt completely overwhelmed and the joy of purchasing and picking out fabric was gone. I went through and donated all but a choice few pieces. What a load it took off my shoulders! I knew the fabric would be put to good use and I got back that loving feeling again. Each project became a joy once again. My stash is totally under control now. If something has been hanging around to long and I keep pushing it aside, I have several charity organizations that are happy to get the fabric. Now my problem is I need to use up about 6 jelly rolls. I pulled one apart yesterday for my BIL and his girlfriend. Making them a nautical quilt for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete