Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

No Bubbles but Bubbly Pants at least...


 After a week of  making various pants muslins that told me all I needed to know, not know, and often did not wish to know, resulted in my sparkle defizzing.   The inner champagne is flat, devoid of bubbles.  So I made myself some pants with bubbles in them to buoy me up.

(In  a nutshell, the pants muslins told me that all the ways suggested to fit do not really work for me.  Choose your hip size - well, that is 4 sizes smaller than my waist, which leads to a lot of distortion in style lines - and the legs are still really baggy. Take in the legs, narrow into a small crotch, and then up over a tummy curve and you do not have a good look.  Disheartening, and opens up my old teenage figure wounds, of wanting curves - you know, defined waist, bust and hips, nice shaped thighs etc.   Never happened.    Still have my straight shape with tum and narrow hips and thin limbs. And, to rub salt into the wound, recently I have lost a kilo.  Been trying to put it back on, but it is stubbornly staying away at the moment).

So, to cheer myself up, I raided the stash and made some baggy pants yesterday.  Thoroughly fed up, I decided not to make a muslin - I mean, these looked like roomy pants,with an attached elastic casing.  So really, I thought, nothing much to fit.  And there wasn't, except these are the first pants I have come across with a very low slung crotch.  Just like trousers used to be years ago, with crotches down to the knees, big and baggy.  So in future I shall check the crotch depth.  The pocket bags are huge as well.  But at least they are comfortable, and they are hardly anything more than happy pants for weekend relaxing.

The pattern is Butterick 6137:



Yes, big, baggy, unfitted pants.  As you can see, the waistband is quite high, or the crotch length deep, whichever way you want to put it.  I made View D.

I cut size 8 with extra at the waist (size 10).  I made sure that the pants would slide over my hips, which they do easily.  I used slightly narrower elastic of 1/1/4 inch instead of 1/1/2 inch as the pattern suggests, as that is all I had.  And I think that is quite wide enough for me.  I made the waistband a little narrower to fit this elastic.

The fabric is a cheap craft cotton from Spotlight, purchased at the beginning of the year on sale.  It sort of had a bounce to it, and my overlocker didn't like it at all.  My big machine didn't like it much either, but we all managed.

I finished the casing by sewing the casing so I could topstitch on the front of the garment.  The pattern suggests a line of stitching at the top of the band, which I did.  Again, I remember doing these sorts of bands years ago:




I also turned in the hem by 1/4inch on the trouser hem, instead of overlocking.  It looks neat, and in a cotton, does not add bulk:


So, lets have a look at the finished garment (photographed in the evening again, and I am rather tired and grumpy ... and I think I should have combed my hair first...definitely debubbled...)




Front - see what I mean about the low crotch?  Baggy pants are supposed to have lower crotches, but it does feel a bit low on me.  I'll raise it next time, or shorten the rise, if I make these again.




Back view - I pulled these up for this photo.  Things always slide down on me.  Again, you can see a bit of bagginess from the deep crotch.


And side view.  And a half side view, with pockets:


I have to admit, the finished pants look remarkably like the picture published by Butterick, that I showed you at the beginning of this post.

The trousers are finished at the length suggested by the pattern.  Quite short, and I am not tall.  So if you want longer trousers than this, or are taller than me (I'm 160 cm approx - about 5'4" if I try and stretch myself tall.

I actually am getting around to quite liking these pants, for weekend wear.  I am wearing them with a top I made, Burda 7079. You can find my posts about this top here.

Well, I am going off now to re-carbonate by making a shirt.  I haven't made one for a while, so I am out of practice.  So I'll raid the stash for a fabric that can be sacrificed because my technique is going to be a little rusty.

And I need a break from pants...

Take care everyone, wherever you are..

Sarah Liz :)





46 comments:

  1. Love the pants and they look great on you...really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar figure in that I have a larger waist size than hips although I am a couple os sizes up from you. I have rarely tackled pants because the fitting seems hard. I think a knowledgable fitting partner would be invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be great to have a fitting partner, but alas, most of us don't. I don't mind making pants, because my ill fitting ones are no worse than any RTW pant - which are also ill fitting, and if low waisted, fall down all day!

      Delete
  3. Always love a polka dot, and these pants bring a smile, they are so gorgeous! Totally on the same page re the waist and hips ratio, and pants are a nightmare for me too. I am tempted to give this pattern a try, because it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - and beware, these are not smart pants, but pottering around the home pants. Make them up in a cheap something first - and get the pattern on sale, in case it doesn't work for you.

      Delete
  4. Bubbly pants and recarbonating shirts! You've made my day! I'm sorry you have so many problems fitting pants - I'm surprised as you've made and blogged a few. I have different but equally difficult fitting problems. That long baggy crotch would probably work for me! I like the look. Good luck with the shirt; I'm making a shirt for my course at present and am hoping that was really get the collar right as I haven't managed that perfectly yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I'm glad I brightened your day. Yes, I can fit pants reasonably well, all things considered, but was on a mission to try and do better. And that always opens a can of worms. Good luck with the collar - they are hard to get right.

      Delete
  5. Bubbly pants and recarbonating shirts! You've made my day! I'm sorry you have so many problems fitting pants - I'm surprised as you've made and blogged a few. I have different but equally difficult fitting problems. That long baggy crotch would probably work for me! I like the look. Good luck with the shirt; I'm making a shirt for my course at present and am hoping that was really get the collar right as I haven't managed that perfectly yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pants are so hard! But those polka dot ones are so cute on you and they look comfy, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - they are comfy, and thank goodness we can get away with elastic waists for casual pants.

      Delete
  7. I too struggle with pants which is why I have not made a pair since the 1980-90's. I have put them on my sewing list to conquer. I am even watching a pants sewing class on Craftsy.

    I think your pants turned out well and look like a nice fit. I like pockets in my pants so that is a nice extra for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pants of the 80's and 90's were easier to fit - waisted, quite roomy, pleats - there was nothing really to fit, not like today's sleeker models. And with our changed figures, these sleek models tend to not work.

      Delete
  8. I thought that they would look like pajamas, but they do not at all! Very flattering and they look like they fit beautifully. Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kendra - yes, I shall love wearing them this summer.

      Delete
  9. It looks comfy but pretty at the same time :) I love polka dot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - yes, at home clothes should be comfy and nice to look at as well.

      Delete
  10. Those are fun pants! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trousers look super comfy! And they do look lok very much like the pattern envelope. But you dont look tired nor grumpy at all! Lovely trousers Sarah Liz :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - and I'm glad I don't look too grumpy.

      Delete
  12. You've done a terrific job with cheerful fabric - they seem to fit you well.

    I think it's time for you to invest in a self-drafted trouser block (or sloper). Start from first principles for your body, then you can redraft to add in design features.

    Failing that, I hear good things about the SA flat bottomed Flo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are a nice fit, for a non-fitted pant, if you see what I mean.

      I do have a Surefit kit, which I must dig out and attempt to use one day again.

      Delete
  13. I love your pants, Sarah Liz. They look like they fit very well and although I don't like a low crotch too much myself they certainly seem to hang better. I love your top as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - I agree, a bit more fullness in a pant and a lower crotch do tend to be hang better. And I think, as well get older, a slightly more flattering look.

      Delete
  14. Love the polka dot fabric, I think they look great on you. I love the
    top with them'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - I knew you would like the polka dots :)

      Delete
  15. I really love this whole outfit Sarah Liz. I have just bought two different fabrics for spotty pants. Maybe they feel low on, but they look really great. Thanks for the shirt pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I hope you have success with your spotty pants. I may have to make more as well, in a different spotty fabric.

      Delete
  16. Well, I have to agree with everyone that these pants look great on you! Maybe the lesson here is not to try to make over-fitted pants. Once you get the crotch depth figured out, looser pants probably help disguise your fitting problems. Look at the popularity of Cutting Line Design's One Seam Pants. I love your dotty, spotty pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are right. There can be a focus in sewing blog land on fit, fit, fit, and I do think that can lead to problems. Plus images in magazines and on pattern covers are always tightly pinned at the back, leading to false ideas about what actually fits and can be moved in. And most of us need that little bit of ease to ease over certain spots that don't appreciate fitting :).

      Delete
  17. While your more fitted trousers (pants) are lovely on you, these are adorable and well fitted also. I love a loose pant and think they look great on women with your figure. Just a little boho, and quirky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I agree, I have now come to love these baggier pants. I think it takes a while for the eye to adjust to new lines, and we have seen slim and fitted pants for the last few years. Might make some real baggies next :)

      Delete
  18. These look great. I like the high waist. Great fabric. Enjoy getting your fizz back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. At least high waist pants stay up. Off to fizz now...

      Delete
  19. These pants turned out great and I love the fun print.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are very cute, and they make your legs look quite long. Makes me want a similar pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love them, can't help but be happy in them :)

      Delete
  21. I think these pants look great in the photos! They are fun and the material is perfect for the summer down under. I think the shape of the pants are quite flattering for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lovenicky - it took me a while to get used to the shape of them, but now I am fine with it :)

      Delete
  22. There are times when getting fed up lead to great progress! Sometimes we have to do what you did and throw caution to the wind. I agree with everyone; these pants turned out quite well and make your legs look long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it does - and in any case, one needs to just get moving on something before giving up in despair, which doesn't help the sewing cause in any way :)

      Delete
  23. Hi Sarah, I love your blog and I think your trousers turned out great! I can relate to many of your fitting issues especially the tummy. I also have narrow hips. The irritating part for me is that the tummy turns up after eating a meal but it does disappear a few hours later. In short, I completely gave up on wearing trousers or anything over my tummy. It's uncomfortable and worse of all - here is the suggestion that might help - it adds further bulk to an already bulky area. It's a big NO. Also, I too am 5 '4" but also have disproportionately long torso compared to my legs (1 1/2" longer torso). I have started wearing all my pants on the hip line thus avoiding extra tummy bulk. However, this has the tendency to make my legs look even shorter so I buy/make pants that look good when I take the bottom in with elastic or a band. And of course I take in the legs always an extra inch so they looks slimmer and longer. In short: don't add bulk to your tummy with anything: no belts, no elastics, NOTHING. HAVE A BUBBLY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I forgot something: I found that for me low rise pants stay up just as well as high rise provided you fit the elastic band well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I replied to this point above :)

      Delete