Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Summer Sewing is About to Start...



There is something about a new sewing season that is always exciting - so many things to make, so many ideas, so many choices.  Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the sheer number of possibilities.

As  you know, I often sew  useful wardrobe workhorses- very serviceable basics.  Because that suits my current lifestyle, even though I sometimes wish it were otherwise, and also because I live in a very casual sort of town - which sort of intersects with my current lifestyle and why it is not quite what I would wish here.  One day though, I will move back to Adelaide.

I also want to sew some more interesting garments,  a few things to pep up the basics.

And then I think about sewing it all - and think about tracing all the patterns, which I always do - it means you have the master pattern if things go wrong, or you traced the wrong size and need the next one up - if you did this straight from the pattern, you would not be able to recut.  So I trace my patterns.  This is also a good time to think about how you would sew the garment.  A bit of thought at the beginning can save a few unpickings further down the sewing track

Now that is the step I hate. That and pre-washing fabric.  The bit I like is the sewing and watching the garment evolve.  But tracing patterns also helps the sewing process because it is a good time to look closely at the pattern and think about  how you would sew the garment.  A bit of thought at the beginning can save a few unpickings further down the sewing track

And over the next few weeks I have quite a busy time with work and things that need doing around the house.  And will  have limited time for sewing but will want maximum results.

So as DH was working yesterday and this morning, I decided to get a bunch of patterns traced.  A marathon session, and here they all are, each pattern and it's tracing in a separate bag:


A box pleated skirt, should be fun to make and wear.

Below knee culottes/shorts - can't wait to make these.

I need a throw on simple jacket.  Not sure what colour.

A happy mid summer dress.

A big white shirt. Just because I want to make one.

A Lisette princess line top.

Maybe these pants will look okay.

I like this jacket too - in something soft and drapey?

A classic shirt - love the black and white

This will keep me busy for the next few months.  I also want to make some casual pants, and a couple of skirts and tops.  So I guess I will trace these this afternoon:


 Then I can settle down and sew while doing the other  things in life that really are demanding my
attention.

Do you make plans as well, or do you just sew whatever you want to make as the idea arises? And how do you fit in sewing with other life demands?

Sarah Liz


24 comments:

  1. You're teasing us in the Northern Hemisphere now, aren't you! We are well into autumn and waiting for the first flakes of snow to fall :) Looks like you have some lovely sewing lined up though! I do the same as you and trace patterns - usually with my fitted bodice or trousers to hand to make the various adjustments that I need. Oh, and I love prewashing. No idea why, maybe it is because I can then go ahead and start cutting out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don not envy you at all - and your winters are so long and cold, unlike ours - we grumble all the same. And another tracer - nice to have company :)

      Delete
  2. So many possibilities indeed! I make plans just don't have enough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, time is a real problem - there will never be enough for the ever expanding plans :)

      Delete
  3. I am into autumn and winter sewing, I am planning a lot and pre-washing some fabrics. Can not wait to see your summer makes, Sarah Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The planning and prewashing do take some time and thought, I agree.

      Delete
  4. So many possibilities! For me, that's rather overwhelming and I get stuck. Exciting, yes, but overwhelming certainly and I get stuck doing nothing! I know you don't though and I will be following along and hopefully taking some inspiration from you (even though we're in opposite seasons)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the best way to deal with being overwhelmed is to just start something - it does not have to be perfect, it just gets you moving. And also making a decision about what you need can help.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is one big tracing marathon, Sarah Liz. I don't trace very often but you make a very good point about keeping the options open. I tend to make things too big, then try to take them in. Will remember what you say and trace more frequently :) Great plans for Summer, and I feel inspired. My plans don't usually work out, but it is nice to dream up ideas. I bought some nice white linen yesterday, with a definite plan for Summer culottes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to trace Patricia, because I am so nowhere near the pattern sizing - even with companies like Style Arc that claim a better fit. And alterations can be glued on and cut away, whatever is needed. I use greaseproof paper from the supermarket - cheap and available.

      Delete
  6. I don't trace but you make such a good argument for it, it has me reconsidering trying. I'm in the midst of autumn/winter sewing here but don't sew with a plan-- just can't get that organized. I pre wash as soon as the fabric comes into the house so its ready when I am. Look forward to seeing your lovelies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, see my reply to Patricia, above. I just find plans help to get me moving, or I would just never make up my mind. I do love your approach to pre-washing.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful choices you have there. Summer sewing is my favorite sewing.. All the pretty colors and light weight fabrics.
    I too, hate tracing and fitting patterns.. Actual sewing is the fun part...
    I like to make sewing plans...sometimes it works /sometimes it doesn't.ha
    Happy sewing, and happy summer..[we are in fall]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, summer sewing is quicker, easier and far more gratifying. And plans - yes, well, nothing wrong with changing a plan, you can't change a garment halfway through though!

      Delete
  8. You are going to have a lot of nice pieces to mix and match. I know its a pain, but so worth it. This time of year I travel a lot for my job, so what I have done is shoved a lot of flannel and two patterns in a bag to bring with me to cut out. I'm replenishing all of my winter comfy pants to replace all of the ratty ones I threw out earlier this year. When I get home I can quickly sew them up. I took time to prewash , and the patterns I've used before. So hopefully I can cut out this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana - yes, taking time and trouble is worth it in the long run. I do not envy you having to travel for your job - it makes sewing so difficult. You need a little portable machine to run basics up on - something very small.

      Delete
  9. As I'm on a Burda kick I spent the morning tracing off a few patterns! :)

    And the dresses I sewed for my sister meant tracing. So I'm not as against it as I used to be.

    You've got some great items there. Cannot wait to see them!!

    Oh and I agree. The start of a new season makes me giddy for my sewing plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also have built up quite a wardrobe, and know more what works and what doesn't. So altering traced pieces would work well for you now.

      Delete
  10. Well we are well inot autumn here and like you I love the inspiration that a new season gives. But this year, I am with you on your summer makes as we have future plans to head off to warmer climes. For me it it most bizarre making something summery in November! I pretty much make straight out of the envelope as i dont need to much fit alteration, but I plan my sewing per item. Pattern first then fabric. My hate is cutting... urgh!! Looking forward to seeing your summer makes Sarah Liz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see you secret summer makes - how lovely - you deserve some time in the sun. Isn't it funny how we all have different dislikes - I used to hate cutting, now it doesn't bother me so much. I think because I muslin more now.

      Delete
  11. The preparation of fabric and pattern always seems to take forever. I think that's why I sew several repeats of a pattern.

    Looking forward to seeing this all made up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, to make the best use of all the time invested in getting something right, multiple versions make sense.

      Delete