Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas Top, New Look 6273.



 I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas, celebrated in the way that you like.  DH and I had our planned very quiet day, spent relaxing, listening to Carols, reading, opening presents and eating.  I made a new top for the day - only it was colder than I anticipated so I wore a little cardigan over the top to keep warmish.

As the fabric is quite ornate, and I did not want to spoil the floral montage, I chose a very simple pattern.  New Look 6273, which has a simple, unfitted shell top.  It has side seams, a back seam with button closure, 5/8 inch hem at bottom (turned in and then turned again), and it is supposed to have binding at the neck and sleeve hems.  I used binding at the sleeve hems, but cut a facing for the neckline, as I think a facing adds more stability and does not stretch.

New Look Misses' Jacket, Top, Pants and Skirt 6273 

The size I used was 14.  I hummed and hahhed about this, because this gave a finished measurement at the bust of 40 inches.  My bust is 34 inches, but as the top does not have darts,  I thought this would work, because I hate tightness over the bust.  I used size 10 neck as I find necks are often too big.  As it was, I needed to add 6/8 inch at the back and shoulder edge of the top.  I kept the neckline centre front at the same depth as the pattern.  And yes, I did do a rough muslin out of one of DH's old shirts to test the fit.

The fabric I used was a poly-cotton voile purchased from Spotlight.  It isn't very drapey, due, I guess, to the polyester content, but it is a really pretty print.  
 

There isn't really much to say about this top - simple construction and simple to wear:



And you can see why I needed the ease - always test a garment is okay to move and bend in before you decide to remove ease:


Although the back looks roomy, as we have proven, this ease is needed.  I also have an inverted triangle shape with a reasonable wide back for my size - you can see the inverted V that goes down from shoulders to a small hip width:





That's it for New Look 6273, my Christmas 2015 top.   I have needed a floral top, for those sort of floral occasions for ages, and now I can tick that off the list. 

Back soon with the remains of my 2015 sewing - I have a few garments still to post.

Sarah Liz


 

47 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous and a perfect pattern to showcase the beautiful print. I'm also loving the bigger photos Sarah Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -and I'll keep doing the larger photos if that is what looks better. Was a bit shy about myself...

      Delete
  2. A lovely top, it really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty fabric! I recently made this top & agree it runs a little small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - often New Look runs large, but it always pays to check.

      Delete
  4. Really pretty. I meant to make a top for Xmas but time got away from me. Still had a great day though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. Time has a habit of doing that :)

      Delete
  5. A lovely top and very pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely fabric. Pattern really is just right for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please forgive if this is a double post of my comment. I am just getting back into sewing after many, many years of not taking a stitch!This is probably a stupid question, but what is an "ease"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ease is the amount of extra measurement in a garment over and above the body measurements. This is needed so you can move. That is ease. There is also design ease, added for the style of the garment.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the simplest turns out to be the most elegance, which is the case here. Glad to hear
    you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - I hope you had a great Xmas too.

      Delete
  10. Lovely top; I love the pattern which is so flattering to you. Interesting about the ease; 6 inches seems like a lot but as you say is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - yes, it does seem a lot, but I am a very active person and really do bend over and do things - so I like lots of ease in a woven. Saves popping a seam.

      Delete
  11. Lovely top; I love the pattern which is so flattering to you. Interesting about the ease; 6 inches seems like a lot but as you say is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really looks lovely, nice to see you in florals:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really looks lovely, nice to see you in florals:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your floral top..Looks lovely on you.. Proud you and hubby had a good Christmas..Sending prayers for a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and sending you wishes for a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  15. Love the ease of fit and the print.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A VERY pretty print, and it does look so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this top, and the fabric makes it so floaty and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - yes, a feminine top is a must in the wardrobe, even if everyday life dictates more practical attire :)

      Delete
  18. I love to see you wearing colour and patterned fabrics Sarah Liz and this top is exactly why. beautiful! And you suit it so well :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - yes, I must put more colour in my wardrobe, but I am also a believer in lots of basic neutrals as the backbone.

      Delete
  19. Everybody loves this fabric, and I'm no exception. I'd wear it to a wedding! As ever, it is beautifully made too, Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I agree, and yes, it would make a beautiful dress for a wedding guest, even a bridesmaid or mother.

      Delete
  20. Pretty top. The floral suits you so well. Would love to see you in more florals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - finding a nice grown up floral in colours that look okay on me is a challenge, but when I find them, I snap them up.

      Delete
  21. Love this top and love the floral fabric on you! It is so lovely! Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - it is perfect, I agree :)

      Delete
  22. It's a very pretty top, the print is really nice. I agree, it suits you beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely Christmas top, the colours look lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your floral top looks breezy and very feminine. Great job! I like these types of flowy top. One can dress them up and down - very versatile.

    ReplyDelete