Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Grown Up Shirt Dress...Vogue 8797.


I have hankered after a plain, navy, classic sort of shirt dress for ages now.  I think it is a useful sort of dress to have in the wardrobe.

The pattern I used was Vogue 8797, which has been on my list to make for a few years now.  I think the pattern is still in print :

V8797, Misses' Top, Dress and Pants


This is an open collar shirtdress - by which I mean, the collar is not mounted on a collar band.  I find this is a bit cooler to wear in summer, and can be quite flattering to the face, as it opens up that area under the face nicely.  I just don't like making them, as I find the finish is not quite so professional as a collar stand.  It's the way the collar is turned under and slip stitched, but I go over with machine stitching and get everything firmly anchored in place.

I used a cheap Spotlight cotton, I think it was Prima homespun.  Just a little lighter than Spotlight's broadcloth.  I'm not fond of it, but it is not expensive, and for the first version of any garment I tend to use a cheaper fabric.  Then if I like the pattern, it gets put aside as a TNT for future use in a good fabric.

And, also, where I live at the moment, in regional, coastal, Newcastle, these casual fabrics are good enough.

So now is the time to test patterns :).

I made a quick muslin, since binned in my post garment tidy up.  I only muslin to about high hip - just to check the sleeve head fits, and that the overall fit is going to work.

I cut size 8 shoulders, armholes and neck, and graded to size 10 at the side seams. I used the short sleeve from the shirt, as I am making a summer dress.  And I used the length provided.  I measured the length, and it was going to be just right.  I added pockets inside the side seam.   I omitted the top buttonhole, as I did not think it was necessary.  And I made a tie belt.  I can also wear this dress with a leather belt if I want to.

Then I made the dress up.  It was a simple, straightforward make, with no complications.  Except for my dislike of this sort of collar :).  I added top stitching and edge stitching to most areas.

And once again, I used a piece of lawn to line the yoke.  It's lighter to wear.

Overall. I like this pattern, including the length,  and it will be made up again one day in something nice.

Details:

Showing collar and top of yoke.  Collar is edge stitched, as is the front facing.   I top-stitched the yoke panels:




And yes, the yokes do match up- and buttonholes and buttons do too:



Inside the pocket - the back of the pocket is the garment fabric, and the front is poly cotton.  I used black, so it matches the yoke lining.  Also, it is dark, so it won't show if the pockets gape:


And the hem - just a double turn hem of a 5/8 inch allowance


Very easy to make.  And easy to wear:



Looking very serious here, with my glasses on, and hand on hip:


My husband says sometimes I can be quite a force to be reckoned with.  He says it's because I am not very big, and I am going to be quite a wicked old lady.

WHO, Little Me????


Hmm, I will have to think about that.  I am not amused...


Who me, Scary?? Heaven Forbid, I don't think so.  Do you??


That was a bit of fun.  I just couldn't resist using those rather dubious pictures to make up a funny little story.  Aren't selfies on a self timer so hard to get right?  I was at that point running backwards and forwards to the camera -  hence the glasses on and off and the caught on the run photographs.

And atrocious lighting to boot...

Oh well, time to go and scare DH....

Back next week, take care everyone,

Sarah Liz


36 comments:

  1. Ooh I love shirt-dresses!
    And this one looks comfy and beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great pattern and really well executed. I think that is such a versatile colour... looks like it could dress up or down easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and it has recently been dressed up with a belt, and down with leggings when I got cold on a long flight :)

      Delete
  4. What a fun photo shoot in a great little dress! This is the perfect dress for your climate - hope you whip up a few more over summer ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith, glad you enjoyed it. And if I don't whip up more this summer, there is always next ...I have a list of things on the to do list:)

      Delete
  5. That looks so good on you. I'm with you on the collar - love that type, but it is hard to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Sarah and the fit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love shirt style dresses. They are so classic but your curved slightly different hemlines makes it very now . Yes make it again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - I find shirtdresses just so useful - this is casual, but it looks smart as well. Put it on, and you are dressed ready for the day. It's on the TNT list :)

      Delete
  8. Love the fun pictures :) The dress suits you beautifully, lovely details and colour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana, I am glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  9. I love navy too, and this dress is perfection, Sarah Liz. You are a clever one, doing photos with the self-timer, and having fun too! Merry Christmas to you and hubs - hope you have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I will make this again even more perfectly in something nicer than Spotlight basic cotton. And regarding the pictures - having a drama degree does have some benefits - one can poke fun at oneself without getting embarrassed :)

      Delete
  10. Fun post! Great dress though, yes do make it again it suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - yes, I will make it again...time permitting :)

      Delete
  11. Love your dress! A shirt dress is on my list to sew for my daughter. Looks like the hem has a little high-low fashion going on. Do you like that? Looks great in pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, there is a high-low hemline - not too much so, though. Yes, I do like it, but then it was what I wanted - a smart-casual dress. Sometimes I prefer a level hem. Good luck with your daughter's dress.

      Delete
  12. Love your dress! A shirt dress is on my list to sew for my daughter. Looks like the hem has a little high-low fashion going on. Do you like that? Looks great in pictures

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely dress. Navy is one of my colours too. I have some shitt dresses on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Navy and shirt dresses are always winners, in my opinion.

      Delete
  14. Lovely dress. Navy is one of my colours too. I have some shitt dresses on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DH is definitely wrong; you're a sweetheart!

    Shirtdresses never go out of style and you nailed it with this navy beauty. Classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, don't tell anyone I am not really fierce!!!! And thanks - but then, we are both fans of the shirtdress :)

      Delete
  16. Very nice dress Sarah. I loved shirt dresses until the last time I made one which was when I was still teaching. I had made a really pretty one to wear to our Parent -Teacher night and when I put it on , my husband said I looked just like a teacher in it. For some reason ,that offended me and I never wore that dress again!Oh, and there's nothing wrong with fierce little old ladies. They are full of character !1 Lol
    Merry Christmas Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diana, I am having a chuckle, because I also thought I looked like a nurse - a profession that I was once in! But then I realised that is a perception from the past, and that wearing the dress in a cotton now, is just a smart, casual look :)

      Delete
  17. I love your new dress, and your attention to detail always shows. Will remember the idea of the darker inner pocket. And thoroughly enjoyed seeing a different side to your personality here! How fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I use a lighter fabric for the pocket front, to reduce bulk. I always use a dark colour that tones well enough with the garment fabric, as a dark colour recedes and is not obvious if the pocket gapes, whereas a light colour is.

      Delete
  18. I really love this dress! Something you will get a lot of wear out of. I prefer a collar with stand too but this collar looks right for this dress too. Merry christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your shirt dress for the more casual look but like you prefer the collar on a stand.

    ReplyDelete