Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Sewing Goals




Happy New Year Everybody,

Life is really weird at the moment - a day of hassles yesterday (drains...the story is yet to end), and I just lost the blog post I wrote an hour or so ago somehow.

So I will quickly write it again, but in a somewhat abbreviated form, which may not be such a bad thing :)

I have just finished the last of my 2015 garments - and I have a Handknit all ready to sew up.  At the moment I am behind on my blogging - I have a few garments to go that were made in 2015.

But today I officially start my 2016 sewing goals.

  • This year I will be incorporating a sub theme in my blog.  2016 - My Sew Style from 16 to 60.  Because this year I turn six ooh, and I think that is a good time to redefine my sewing style.

  • I will also incorporate a Stashing Policy, namely to only replace the amount of stash I use.  I should reduce my stash volume, but I think small steps first - so there will be a Replacement Stash Policy for 2016.

  • I will start this from the first garment cut out in 2016.  So the last of the 2015 garments will not be counted.  Honesty is needed here, because it would be easy to pretend I had made them this year and sneak a bit of extra stash into the pile...

  • I will be costing all garments made this year - I am curious as to how much each actually costs.  

  • I will also keep track of everything I spend on fabrics, patterns, haberdashery and other sewing paraphanalia.

I can't say that I will stop stashing patterns, because it is likely I won't.  And, a sewing girl has got to stash something...

  • But I will attempt to use a few more of my stashed patterns.  I will also try to use new patterns while they are still new, and not add them to the stash to become vintage in the making patterns to be used sometime in someone else's lifetime.

  • And, I plan to have a lot more sewing fun ...the last few years has been about getting back into sewing after an absence of a decade or so.   That's why I made so many very boring and casual basics.  But they were very needed garments for those very ordinary moments  that domestic life is often composed off.

This post is much better that my whatever happened to  last post (which I think had something to do with a butter fingers job performed by moi on cutting and pasting into a page so I can find these goals at the end of the year...).

So, that is a really good omen ...I think 2016 may be a very Happy New Sewing Year indeed :)

I hope so - and it is also my wish for all of you.

Happy New Sewing Year to you all, along with Health, Safety and Happiness.

Sarah Liz


33 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post!!!

    I hope to be having as much fun with my sewing when I am rounding 60!!! You're awesome!

    You've got great goals. I especially love the idea of costing items. I may borrow that ;) It really is good to know sometimes, isn't it??

    Thanks for sharing all the projects, even the ones that don't pan out...and for heading the Garment a Month group! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Smith - and I am sure you will continue to have lots of fun in your life...and please do borrow any idea you like :)

      Delete
  2. Six oooh???? You look amazing Sarah Liz!
    'A sewing girl has to stash something'....I love that :)
    It is only through reading sewing blogs that I learnt to even have a stash - used to buy one, make one, like my mother. I regard this education as essential in my sewing journey. You have some excellent goals there, and I'm sure you will meet them. Happy sewing, and Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - mind you some days I look my age well and truly:). Yes, meeting other sewing bloggers certainly encourages the stash, I agree :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! Happy new goals! Your plans are great and I look forward to reading all about them. 60 is a good time to redefine your style (I agree you don't look nearly 60). I like the idea of a bit of extra fun. So Happy Sewing New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - and yes, fun is what is needed with sewing - there is enough not fun in life with things one has to do, without making sewing not fun as well :)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year and what a year. I look forward to seeing where your sewing takes you this year. Thank you for hosting the Make a Garment a Month, I hope to do better this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, I will enjoy following your sewing journey as well. MAGAM is still there when you are ready :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting post! I'll follow you closely as you show the way to the big six ooh ;) (I'll turn 60 next year) Here's to even more sewing fun, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne - I'll do my best to lead the way, Cheers.

      Delete
  6. What great goals. I love your comment that a girl's got to stash something. I'm reducing fabric stash too, but patterns are still fair game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, one's got to get new patterns to use the fabric stash...

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year. Great goals! I am interested in seeing how your tracking of prices of garments will turn out. I am curious but too busy to attempt this myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Annie - I thought you might be busy with life at the moment.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Sarah Liz and to your husband. Sounds like great plans for 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, and Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  9. Love this post.. Great plans for 2016. I wish you the best and pray you and hubby have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and Happy New Year to you as well :)

      Delete
  10. Love your goals for 2016.

    I try to cost items too, very tricky when I cannot remember how much the notions cost. Plus, how do you cost a pattern when you use it multiple times? And, is something free when you make it from leftover fabrics and recycled notions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and watch this blog to find out what I do when faced with this sort of challenge :)

      Delete
  11. Good Goals! gave me some ideas for my own goals, too...
    I do believe in sewing 'boring basics' though. That's what I wear the most. When I try to get too fancy, I end up not wearing what I made. that's just me, though.
    Happy New Year to All !!!
    Christ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it makes sound sense to make for the life one lives, not the one that you don't live.

      Delete
  12. Great ideas for 2016. I think having the goals that you are likely to reach is better than those we cheat on later. Here's to a great 2016, thanks for all your comments and encouragement this year Sarah Liz, I really am chuffed by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree, no good having pie in the sky goals.

      Delete
  13. You have some great goals for 2016. I particularly like the idea of counting the cost of sewing each garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LoveNicky - I think that costing is important, and that way you also value your garments more.

      Delete
  14. loving your positive outlook on the sewing for this year. I wish you lots of luck with it all Sarah Liz, and I am looking forward to keeping up to date with all you have made. happy New year to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn, I look forward to seeing your makes too. And you are also very positive :)

      Delete
  15. Great sewing goals Sarah Liz. I look forward to following along with you this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I likewise with following your sewing.

      Delete
  16. Oooh. I do like the sound of your goals. The pricing will be interesting to see. I have failed at the fabric replenishment already - my local fabric store had everything at 50% off for a couple of days . . . . . including the bargain basement. I may have picked up some (29m) at $2/m. Fabric party at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great goals and I look forward to reading about them. You always have an interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Sewing 2016 Year to You too! Your goals are well planned and I look forward to seeing what you make in 2016 and how you work your plan. More sewing fun sounds, well..... fun!
    P.S. I'm not too far behind in birthdays. :)

    ReplyDelete