Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Just into Jungle January by a Few Spots.




I have been meaning to take part in Jungle January for three years now and never quite get there. So this year I was determined to make something.

I  had already stashed a piece of polyester panne velvet (from Spotlight) last year, and it kept growling at me everytime I passed, so this was picked up and turned into an infinity cowl scarf.

Quick and simple to make.  In fact, it is so quick and simple to make, I thought I would tell you how I made it. It only took about half and hour, including stopping and taking photos to show you what I did.

Firstly, I settled on the length and width needed.  I had purchased about 37cm of 150 wide fabric.  I cut the fabric in half, so I had two pieces of fabric 37 cm by 77 cm (approximately).  The scarf can be any width and length that you like - play around with the fabric and put it around your neck to see what works with the fabric and for you.  You can also make a scarf with a wider width of fabric so that you only have one seam down one side, and the fold of the fabric down the other.

Then I made sewed the two pieces together down the length of the fabric, right sides together so making a tube :

(you can also just fold the fabric in half if you don't want a seam on one side - it all depends on the length of the scarf and the width of the fabric how you cut the cowl scarf)



Then turn the tube so that the right sides are out:


Mark one seam (or if you have folded the strip inside) with a pin, or a bit of chalk.

Now the tricky bit - you need to make the infinity bit happen here by twisting the scarf :



And then placing one seam across to the other seam or the centre of the fold of fabric if you have used a wider width and folded the fabric.



Then you need to close the open edges, right side together - a bit tricky but pin first and check that you have the idea.  Here I have placed the opposite seams - right sides together


Then I have pinned the seam:


Sew the seam and leave an opening - I have marked the opening with two pins.  You will need the opening so that you can pull the scarf out.  Sew the seam:


 Then pull the cowl scarf out through the opening:


And then sew the opening closed - by hand or machine.  I hand stitched mine on this occasion.



And then you have a nice new infinity cowl to wear:


Unfortunately it is a little warm to wear this during January in Australia, but I will enjoy wearing it later this winter :).

I'm not sure that leopard quite goes with the antique nightgown that covers my dummy though...

Well, that's ticked off the list - my first Jungle January completed.

Bye for now,

Sarah Liz

20 comments:

  1. Roarrr! Leopard is a neutral so it goes with everything, including antique nightgowns ;) Nice scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marianne on all points! Lovely scarf. It's just cold enough here to think about a scarf, some days at least, and a scarf like this would be both stylish and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - and yes, these scarves are comfortable - and don't get in the way.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Marianne on all points! Lovely scarf. It's just cold enough here to think about a scarf, some days at least, and a scarf like this would be both stylish and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever, so simple, and so stylish, Sarah Liz! Thank you for the excellent tutorial. As you say, too hot to wear at the moment, but Autumn will be along soon....I hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I was thinking of you of course, while writing the tutorial :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the little tute - I will use this for making my niece some more merino scarves... she loves them. Yes terribly hot to wear them now but in a few months....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I hope the tute makes sense. They are so quick to make so you should be able to make your niece very happy :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent use of that pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - it's just enough - too much leopard spot overwhelms me.

      Delete
  7. I love these kinds of simple scarves and have made a few myself. An excellent way to use a fabric you love but aren't quite keen on wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha - quite agree with you :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely scarf, and will keep you warm in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on completing Jungle January! Love your scarf. I wear my infinity scarf's loads. You've inspired me to make a patterned one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. As far as your plan is concerned, a bit of pattern can look quite fun near the face - just play with the fabric first and see how it looks as a scarf.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Aminat - just perfect for the job.

      Delete
  11. Agree with Marianne here in that Leopard is a neutral and goes with everything! And velvet panne?! That must feel so soft and nice against the neck. Thank you for taking the time to write your tutorial. I've saved it to make one for me.

    ReplyDelete