Sometimes sewing is a form of therapeutic distraction and so it was with this dress, Kwik Sew 3956. I really needed something quick and simple to sew, because outside was the big mess:
Yes, that is the entire half of the garden dug up and they still can't find the drain connection. It's also been raining again...And we haven't even started looking for the drain connection that runs the other side of the house...
So tomorrow I will run away and do some work at the Rooms - normally I hate paperwork, but it is the lesser of two evils. And I will leave DH to deal with this in the a.m. I have to take over on Tuesday again. Not happy. We have to use buckets and toss water out at the moment, which is very tedious. And I am handwashing lots of clothes, but this week I am going to call the laundry service for the big stuff and his business shirts.
So, when this mess was being dug up, I had to do something. I also wanted to hear what was going on, and report to DH - builders are really good at upping costs, even if it is due to their incompetence , and one is never too sure. And every so often there is a hello at the back door because they want to discuss something. I can't hear this hello in the main section of the house. So I had a stressful day listening to and watching the mess. I had planned a simple sewing distraction though.
Enter Kwik Sew 3956. A simple dolman-kimono sleeve dress. Very simple sewing therapy for the soul. And a focused distraction away from the anxiety provoking events.
I chose version A, the round neck dress. I made a very quick muslin shell at the beginning of the week to see if the style would work for me, using size Small. Then I altered the pattern to make the neckline a lot smaller - the pattern was for a pull over the head round neckline, and I always find them far too wide for my skinny shoulders. That meant I needed to put in a back seam, redraw the neckline to a smaller shape, and close the top of the dress with a button. I also wanted a slightly longer length. I then knew I would need a walking split in the back of the dress. As I thought a slit would not look good with the overall flow of the dress, I decided to insert a godet at the back. The dress had in seam side pockets, but the pocket bags were huge, so I made them a good deal smaller and neater, with a less sharp angle at the side seam, making the pocket/side seam intersection easier to overlock. I also removed about 2cm/1 inch from the underarm seam, as I am shorter than average and have a short waist.
I used a piece of rayon from my stash - I purchased it late last year in a Spotlight clearance - I think specific to my local shop. It was $2.00 per metre, and I used 2 metres of 150 wide. I thought this was the right sort of price for a mainly sewing therapy dress. When you have distractions, you can muck things up and create a wadder. So I factored that into the equation.
And the back godet insert:
Okay, that's the detail, now the dress:
Well, I think this is a pretty nice dress. I am not sure where I will wear it, because life in Newcastle is fairly basic. But there are occasions when I need a very hot weather dress that looks dressy. So I feel happy having this in the wardrobe for a just in case event. I hate last minute makes - far too stressful.
As for cost for this just in case dress - Pattern was on a 3 for $10.00 sale - $3.34. Rayon cost $4.00. Lawn and interfacing, $1.00. Buttons $1.20. Thread and needle allowance, $4.00. $13.54.
Oh, and the bit of old sheet for the muslin, I will allow $2.00, as I do buy these from the Op Shop, so they are a cost of making this dress.
So, Total, $15.54. Plus therapeutic benefits. And the relief factor of having a just in case dress in the wardrobe.
Well, I am ready, are you....
That's it for this week, next week will bring more drain drama, I am sure. I hope they get fixed soon.
And I hope life is simpler in your part of the woods at the moment...
All for now,