Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

A New Top to go with the New Drains...



This week two things happened (well, more than that, but I am only going to blog about two things here) - I made this little top, and our drains were relaid, Hooray.  The drains were laid on Thursday,

Last week the plumbers could not find the drains, so on Monday they realised that they would have to call someone in from Hunter Water to find them. The Drain Diviner finally came with some high tech gadget and located them.   This still has me a little bemused - there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the placement of drains here - it just seemed to be up to the whim of the person who built at the time. Talk about lack of planning.  So, after a comedy of errors, all is well that ends well, and we have sanity and sanitation back at the SLSS household.

Back to sewing, I decide to use the second piece of houndstooth rayon that I had stashed.  It just kept saying use me, because I think it is a rather dramatic piece of fabric and wants to be worn.  So I used it.  I settled on a simple top because of both the type of fabric and the distraction of the drain problems. Butterick 6214, which I purchased recently at a 3 for $10 sale at Spotlight.

Butterick 6214 Fast & Easy Top Shirt Blouse XS - Plus Size Sewing Pattern B6214

It's a shapeless, oversized, large sort of top, which I thought was perfect for a hot weather top.  And perfect for the striking fabric.


I decided to make the longer short sleeve, and used style D as my base pattern.  I cut size Small. The armholes are exactly where they should be, a first with Butterick.  I also added a tiny bit to the side of the neck and a back seam with opening.  I faced the garment - the pattern suggested binding, but I like facings, as you know. I also  added length to the top.

 I made a quick muslin (which I can't photograph on me as it has been chopped up to put into another muslin). This showed that the top was going to ride up at the front - always a risk with no darts.  I also have this problem because I have a prominent front ribcage and sternum,  and narrow back.  I decided that this problem was actually quite useful on this occasion, because tops are shaped up at the front and down at the back at the moment - I saw one in Sussan's recently.  So I decided to add the dip hem - no bands, I just lengthened my top and then traced the hem shape on the back.

Here is the top laid out:


Even in this picture, the top wants to ride higher at the front and lower at the sides - this might have something to do with the floppy fabric.  


Back opening and button.

Facings and the inside story - the facings meet :)

I did slightly wider than 5/8inch rolled hems on sleeves and bodice.
And the finished garment....








So, that's the top. And the cost:  1.2 of rayon, $12.00.  Pattern $3.34. Thread and needle allowance, $4.00. Button, lawn and interfacing for facing, Approx $1.00.  Total:  $20.34.

Try finding something as nice as this in the shops for $20.00 :).

Well that's it for now, it's time for me to look at your blogs and then get some dinner...

Have a lovely weekend and I hope the weather is not too bad where you sew.

Sarah Liz

19 comments:

  1. Lovely top, Sarah Liz. Pleased to hear the drains are fixed at last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top. The rayon sounds - and looks - lovely. I'm so glad to hear your drains are finally sorted. A very trying period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great top. The rayon sounds - and looks - lovely. I'm so glad to hear your drains are finally sorted. A very trying period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely top. It looks fabulous and it will be so comfortable in this hot humid weather we are having,.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabric and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabulous fabric again!Very statement. And I am happy to hear you have your drains sorted x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fabulous fabric again!Very statement. And I am happy to hear you have your drains sorted x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy they found the problem and fixed it..
    Your top is lovely.. I love that fabric and it looks pretty on you.
    I have this pattern, I think I will cut it out and sew it up... Even though it is winter here, It will be fun to have a new summer top, when spring does arrive. smile

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stitching is beautiful, especially the back neckline & facing.

    So glad to hear your plumbing is sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the title of your post! That looks like a great top pattern and looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your top and the explanation of the techniques used. I have just started reading your blog and enjoying it and has inspired me to start sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great top and as you say that fabric just had to be used. Oh drains, I am dreading the day we need to replace our, 1928 and I know it crosses a few block of land that have since been built on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you have Sanity and Sanitation back, Sarah Liz. What an ordeal you have been through. I'm sure sewing has been an excellent way to cope, and this top is perfect. At first I didn't like the fashion for the shaped down backs, but now I want to try it too. Better get onto it or I'll be passe before it happens. The top looks lovely on you and works really well with black pants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely top and like the fabric you used. I had to smile about your drain situation. We purchased a home in Florida from the developer, thinking the builder would not take short cuts with his own home. (Ha,Ha) We had drain issues and found that a beautiful magnolia tree was on top of the drain along with some bushes, thus all the roots were growing down into the drain line. Why we a builder do that?? Glad you got yours fixed, with Sanity and Sanitation fixed I bet we will see more sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to hear your drain fixed. Beautiful top and fabric. It looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree with Hana, this top looks great on you from top to bottom! All your modifications, especially dipping the hem, add up to a perfect, nice yet casual lovely top. So glad to hear the drains are fixed and you can get back to a more 'normal' life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That top looks better on you than it did on the model! Well done! Congratulations on your drains, too.

    Be blessed, visiting from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning, Sarah, and greetings from Maine! My friend, Judy, mentioned your adorable top in her blog so I just had to hop on over to see it! I just love it! And the cloth you choose...just perfect! Looks so comfortable, but neat and tidy as well. Thank you so much for sharing...just might have to check this pattern out!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete