This week two things happened (well, more than that, but I am only going to blog about two things here) - I made this little top, and our drains were relaid, Hooray. The drains were laid on Thursday,
Last week the plumbers could not find the drains, so on Monday they realised that they would have to call someone in from Hunter Water to find them. The Drain Diviner finally came with some high tech gadget and located them. This still has me a little bemused - there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the placement of drains here - it just seemed to be up to the whim of the person who built at the time. Talk about lack of planning. So, after a comedy of errors, all is well that ends well, and we have sanity and sanitation back at the SLSS household.
Back to sewing, I decide to use the second piece of houndstooth rayon that I had stashed. It just kept saying use me, because I think it is a rather dramatic piece of fabric and wants to be worn. So I used it. I settled on a simple top because of both the type of fabric and the distraction of the drain problems. Butterick 6214, which I purchased recently at a 3 for $10 sale at Spotlight.
It's a shapeless, oversized, large sort of top, which I thought was perfect for a hot weather top. And perfect for the striking fabric.
I decided to make the longer short sleeve, and used style D as my base pattern. I cut size Small. The armholes are exactly where they should be, a first with Butterick. I also added a tiny bit to the side of the neck and a back seam with opening. I faced the garment - the pattern suggested binding, but I like facings, as you know. I also added length to the top.
I made a quick muslin (which I can't photograph on me as it has been chopped up to put into another muslin). This showed that the top was going to ride up at the front - always a risk with no darts. I also have this problem because I have a prominent front ribcage and sternum, and narrow back. I decided that this problem was actually quite useful on this occasion, because tops are shaped up at the front and down at the back at the moment - I saw one in Sussan's recently. So I decided to add the dip hem - no bands, I just lengthened my top and then traced the hem shape on the back.
Here is the top laid out:
Even in this picture, the top wants to ride higher at the front and lower at the sides - this might have something to do with the floppy fabric.
Back opening and button.
|Facings and the inside story - the facings meet :)|
|I did slightly wider than 5/8inch rolled hems on sleeves and bodice.|
So, that's the top. And the cost: 1.2 of rayon, $12.00. Pattern $3.34. Thread and needle allowance, $4.00. Button, lawn and interfacing for facing, Approx $1.00. Total: $20.34.
Try finding something as nice as this in the shops for $20.00 :).
Well that's it for now, it's time for me to look at your blogs and then get some dinner...
Have a lovely weekend and I hope the weather is not too bad where you sew.