Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Warm Winter Woolly....




Last winter was unseasonably cold for Newcastle N.S.W.  I decided to knit myself a warm jumper for this winter, just in case... 

So I stashed some wool - I found a nice Alpaca Blend at Spotlight. It was not expensive at $4.99 a 50 gm ball, and was on sale for $3.99.



 On the back of the ball of yarn you find information such as needle size needed to achieve a certain tension :



 It was a non standard wool, so I rummaged through my old classic pattern to see what I might be able to use, and settled on this:


This patterns in this book are designed for a thick mohair.  I had to juggle needle size until I could approximate the tension that was outlined in the book.  That took a few attempts :).

I loved the cowl version:


But thought this large collar would swamp me.  Also I only had 11 balls of yarn, and had no idea how much the front, back and sleeves would take.  A cowl like this takes lots of yarn. So I settled on the roll neck version:






Unfortunately, when I cast the roll neck off, it was too tight for me - I redid it and tried to cast off very loosely indeed, but it was still just a bit tight.

So I made a modified cowl - and only knitted until the length of the roll neck, plus about two more rows so that the collar sat over the pick up stitches lines:


I think that looks fantastic, if I do say so myself :)

So, now I have a nice, new, lovely, warm jumper for winter. I  have washed it and it has passed the wash test - it remains in shape, does not stretch, and dries quickly.

And cost - $39.99 for the yarn plus $6.99 for the needles. The book I already had and have used before.
So that makes $46.98 for a handknit jumper.  Warmer than you would find in shops. I think that is great value - mind you, time and effort also need to be factored in!

So, finally I have a knitting success after a year or so of not quite getting it right.  I think this was because I chose a style and a yarn that I know works for me, instead of trying to stretch the boundaries and make something a little different.






I can't wait to wear this - I'll have to make some trousers to go with it nearer our winter.




Bye for now,

Sarah Liz


23 comments:

  1. Lovely jumper - and with alpaca in the yarn as well . . . very soft! With the cast off there is a technique called the surprisingly stretchy cast off that involves knitting a couple of stitches, and transferring one back I onto the left hand needle and knitting it again. It is really good if you need more stretch next time round? Your cowl is lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, it is soft . Thank you for this hint - I'll jot this down because I am bound to want this one day :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and snugly warm...wish I had something like that to wear the past few days ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and it has been unseasonably cold hasn't it?

      Delete
  3. Great preemptive strike! I so admire a hand knitted jumper and yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm on to strike no. 2 at the moment:)

      Delete
  4. It's awesome Sarah Liz! It looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color and well constructed. Looks oh so warm and snuggly for winter. I can see it paired with a classic pair of winter white wool slacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - yes, this colour would look gorgeous with white - with anything, really :)

      Delete
  6. I love it! Beautiful jumper :) Look forward to see your picture wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - I have to make the winter pants first :)

      Delete
  7. How lovely! Would love to see you in it! My Christmas present was knitting needles so I am slowly teaching myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it will be slow to learn to knit at first - but quite relaxing as well .

      Delete
  8. I love both the colour and the style and the yarn sounds gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it looks so cozy and warm. I love the colour and the structure of it - that neckline looks so pretty! I'll bet you rock this colour too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I knew you would love this :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful color and lovely cowl. I like the final cowl design and think it will look so lovely on you. A year and a half of perseverance is inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This jumper is beautiful! You will be stylish and toasty warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only just noticed this Sarah Liz. How fabulous! Looks so warm and cosy and it will look lovely on you :) x

    ReplyDelete