Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Stashbusting the greens...New Look 6374 Tunic



A few colours don't really suit me, and warm greens are in that group.  I had a piece of greyed green cotton lawn (from Spotlight) in my stash, and decided that it was really not quite right for me, but it did go with a scrap of patterned lawn I really like that  I had leftover from another recently made top.. Now, there are a few things I don't like having around in the stash - that's little bits looking for a garment, and colours that don't really suit.

I put these two together and made myself a top I did like immensely :).  And, although the colour is not the best for me, there is something I really like about this soft, peaceful grey green colour.  And the contrast placket and collar stand give a nice focal point.

I used New Look 6374:



 I made the long, plain version A but instead of sleeves that roll back and fasten with tabs, I decided to make short sleeves.  And chose to make a contrast placket, a bit of a high risk strategy because as I was about to start sewing this top, I realised that I hadn't made a placket front like this before.

I'm not one to get scared of sewing a new technique.  When I was young I used to sew with gay abandon, and I think that is still a good approach. The worst that can happen is you muck something up, and if you are making for yourself, you can usually do something creative to fix the problem. With a bit of concentration and fiddling, I managed to do a reasonable job, although there is room for improvement - that's the great thing about sewing....




 I added buttons because the placket is very long, and is anchored by a row of stitching half way up the placket - which happens to be just above the top button.  There was a bit of gape, and I also knew I would catch things in the hole, so I anchored it back down with buttons.  Which I think looks quite nice....

So, for those of you that like details - I cut size 10 (the smallest size) and a 12 front.  The shoulders are a little large on me, but passable. Not surprising, because I usually cut size 8 shoulders and armscye.  The pattern said to interface both collar stand pieces and all of the placket area.  I thought this might turn out to be a bit stiff, but decided to try the method to see what happened, as much as anything.  I found the lightest piece of interfacing I had , but I still think the finished result was a bit too stiff.  Next time I shall either use a piece of light woven something, or not interface both collar stand pieces.  The placket could have interfacing only to the fold line.

Some  quick views and then I must go and do some chores before a sewing fix:






Well, that's another New Look pattern tried.  I'm trying to use patterns closer to when I buy them - usually I leave them a few years (decades, sometimes) before I get around to the pattern.

And this is a pattern I will come back to - I love the variations, and I really like the style and shape of this tunic in the longer length - I think it is very flattering.

Have a great sewing weekend, wherever you are..

Sarah Liz

P.S. Costings - Pattern $9.95, Lawn $11.98, thread and needle allowance, $5.00, buttons $0.  Little shirt buttons come off my husbands discarded worn out business shirts.

Total : $26.93

40 comments:

  1. The darker green is very complimentary for you and makes the warm green less noticeable. Lovely placket and your tunic looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - I hoped that the visual distraction would work :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - it's going to be one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. You know, I saw this and immediately thought it's not a good colour close to your face, so I'm glad that you said that as I wouldn't like to cause offence. I do think genius to put the darker placket and edge as this makes the green recede and makes the top really flattering and great with your new pants too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no offence. I do know what is best for me, but I also like to use any fabric I have bought - so the challenge sometimes is to work out how :).

      Delete
  4. You are making some wonderful things of late Sarah Liz and this one is no exception. You have totally nailed that colour with the contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - I'm afraid when I first started back sewing I really needed very boring and functional clothes, but now I can start making more interesting pieces.

      Delete
  5. This style of tunic really suits you. And I love your use of the contrasting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - tunics are great inventions for all sorts of shapes, I think :)

      Delete
  6. So cute.. I love the style ..I like that you added the placket. Looks nice on you. happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - I hope you are managing to find some time to sew as well :)

      Delete
  7. This is a really nice combination, turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shade of green is one of my favorites Sarah it looks good on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye - it's a very peaceful shade.

      Delete
  9. It turned out really great with the contrast. You did such an amazing job, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I want to make this again one day, always easier the second time around.

      Delete
  10. Really like this. The floral lifts it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, the top would have been rather dull without the floral.

      Delete
  11. The contrasting placket was an excellent idea and the tunic turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was one of those AaHa moments :)

      Delete
  12. I really like the blouse, contrast placket and the hi-lo hem. The slightly larger shoulders don't show and will make it cooler, no doubt? It's an amazing piece from fabric you didn't really like to something that you do. I have peices hiding away in my stash like that, and have just made use of a few recently! I agree with you about using patterns closer to buying. I am trying to prune my pattern stash now! And make up some of those lonely little orphans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, the larger shoulders do make things cooler, and in this sort of utilitarian fabric sort of look right as well. I agree, thinking of ways to use up those what on earth did I buy that for pieces is quite a challenge. As for pruning the pattern stash, no chance this end :)

      Delete
  13. Just my humble opinion, but I think you look great in this colour. The style is really nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - this colour works okay, but wait till you see me in blue grey :)

      Delete
  14. I agree with everyone, you look great in this style :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tunic. It looks lovely on you. A great style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy - I think this is a top that would flatter many people.

      Delete
  16. Greetings from the lower arctic north. =) This is a great style and good fit. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello L, been thinking of you recently, hoping you were okay...

      And thank you - I love wearing this tunic...

      Delete
  17. What a lovely placket and I love your choice of fabric. This is a great pattern for you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, long line tops over slim pants work for me...

      Delete
  18. Love this shirt on you!!! The style really suits you! And what a fantastic job you did on that placket. Looks nice, neat and smooth. Buttons are a nice touch too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I knew you would like this after making the pattern yourself. Thanks for the tip about the placket being long and a bit fiddly.

      Delete
  19. It is a terrific tunic and I'm sure you will find many opportunities to wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari, and welcome to my blog.

      Delete
  20. This looks great! What really makes it is the button placket -- I love the contrast. That shape with the hi-low hem is very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - believe me, the green was dead without the contrast - and I was going to use those scraps :)

      Delete