Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Time for Twee, Top and Trousers


This week we are getting the usual February humidity. I decided that I wanted a cool top to wear.  I also needed a very lightweight pair  of cotton pants - of course, these can be worn with some of my lightweight blouses, but were really planned to go with this top.

The top was New Look 6344:


This looked a simple little top to make and was perfect for Japanese lawn that Spotlight had in stock and which I have had my eye on, looking for an excuse to buy it, for ages.  The pattern was already in my stash, but is one of my more recent purchase - usually they mature until they are well past there use by date but not vintage enough to do something interesting with.

And the fabric for the pants was a hail spot voile, originally purchased from The Remnant Warehouse.  It was already washed and ready to go.The pants were just cobbled together from my recent more successful makes - pockets from one pattern, torso from another, legs from another, sort of thing. Done early in the morning and not really noted which patterns I used...And the length was governed by the amount of fabric I had - 1 metres x 150 cm.  So they were hemmed at about 7/8 length, which works nicely in summer.

The size I used was size 10, which finishes at 42 inches around the bust, so plenty of ease ( I am 34 inches).  Lots of ease is nice in the hot weather - plus you can move.  Even with all this ease, the top does not look sloppy.

The pattern suggested finishing the neckline with bias binding, but I decided to do a facing instead, because I like the stability of a facing.  I topstitched the facing.  My neckline is a  little smaller than the pattern - I added a seam allowance to the facing of 3/8 inch, but did not take away the allowance used for the binding.  Worked out to be the perfect size for me - usually the necklines are too loose.

I also did not sew the pleats down as suggested by the pattern - I didn't think it necessary for this top.

It's hard to show any detail with the black, but I will try to show the pleats:



And the pants fabric is so cute with the little spots - I added a bow at the back of the waistband casing which holds the elastic:



Pockets of course neatly inserted - I used ordinary black lawn for these :


And that's it - a simple little top and trousers - pretty, wearable and fun:






The last picture was one of those I am not quite ready when the self timer goes off pictures, but I thought it was quite nice - and it does show the pleats of the top nicely :). Mind you, most of my self timed pictures are not quite ready ones,or the light is wrong, or something...

Well, time for Twee Tea   now...

Sarah Liz

P.S.:- Costings

Top. Pattern $9.90.  Fabric $14.27, Interfacing $0.50., Thread/Needle allowance, $4.00, Button $1.00 (from stash).  Total, $29.67.  To compare, little cotton tops in my local boutique with less detail than this retail over $100.00.

Trousers.  Fabric $8.95 plus $5.00 freight allowance, Lawn, $1.00, Elastic, $1.75, Thread/Needle allowance, $4.00,  Bow from an old pair of underpants.  Total $20.97.


32 comments:

  1. That looks lovely on you; I should just give you all my Japanese books as they are not quite my style anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is one of those tops I had to make...

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous top, Sarah Liz..a pretty fabric and a good design with the pleats. The pants will be lovely and cool. I bought some of that hailspot voile at Remnant Warehouse too - only mine is green, for a nightie when I get around to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I have long eyed the floral lawn...so you are a love of hail spot voile as well - I saw your piece on the blog, and thought it must have come from TRW.

      Delete
  3. Love your spontaneous top and pants! That is a lot of ease for the top but does not look like it is large on you!! Here it is you are dealing with humidity and I am dealing with 10F and having to put on layers and layers of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - yes, the ease is surprisingly flattering. Mind you, it is also needed in the heat, but to get a loose top that looks good is a bonus. I do not envy you the cold at the moment.

      Delete
  4. I love the fabric of both the top and the pants. I have jotted down the top pattern because it is so very lovely. Spontaneity really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - and this top is really simple to make when you get around to it.

      Delete
  5. Both are lovely, really like the fabric you made the trousers from and the top looks great. Can't believe it has so much ease but still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this whole ensemble. The pants fabric is wonderful and go so nicely with the well fitting top. You look both comfy and stylish in this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - looking nice in the heat is not always easy, but we sewers can manage :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely work and such spontaneity - most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, must plan (!) some more spontaneity :)

      Delete
  8. What a cute cool outfit. I can see why you took a fancy to both of the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, they are both really nice :)

      Delete
  9. Cute outfit that will be lovely and cool to wear in this humidity we are experiencing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I really do think we need all weights of clothes in our wardrobe to manage the seasons well.

      Delete
  10. What a great outfit! I love the pleats and the pretty pants fabric you chose. I love swiss dot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather - yes, swiss dot is gorgeous, I agree. I usually snaffle a bit whenever I see it in a shop.

      Delete
  11. Pretty outfit and fabric choice! Love the details of the top and the pants. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - yes, I was also pleased :)

      Delete
  12. What an absolutely lovely outfit! So glad you showed an up close photo of the pants fabric so we could see how extra cute those are. And your last photo looked like a natural shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I like pretty, practical and functional, and to get it all at once is quite rare :). And yes, the last photo was quite natural...

      Delete
  13. That's a beautiful top, Liz. I love those pleats! Great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's nice to see you back blogging again :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you - it's nice to see you back blogging again :)

      Delete
  14. Are you really planning your sewing wardrobe for next summer?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete