Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Just for the record...



 Last week I posted another version of Vogue 9067 tapered pants, this time made in a lovely black and white print rayon.  If you missed the post, you can find it here.

I usually buy the amount of fabric the pattern recommends, but sometimes find I can cut the garment from much less.  I don't assume this though - I have been caught out making this assumption.

This time, though, I did have a leftover piece after cutting the pants.  Just enough for another top made from New Look 6273:


 New Look Misses' Jacket, Top, Pants and Skirt 6273

This is a really simple two piece top.  I face the neckline instead of using binding.  On this version I did a rolled hem at the sleeves instead of using binding, and this works better for this top - I suspect because the binding I can purchase is stiff and unyielding.  So in the future, I will do narrow roll hems for the sleeve hem.

There isn't really much to say, except this is a favourite top in the hot, humid weather we have.  It's loose and roomy (which I prefer and want) and looks good. I can also belt it for a more formal look.






Not quite sure how I got the back looking quite so straight in this last photo - but when you  have an angular frame, with square shoulders and narrow hips and back, you do tend to sometimes look more like a coathanger from the back.  I think I have achieved that look here :).

Well, a rather quick post, but I have been super busy over the last few weeks.  In fact, I made the black and white pants and this top before Xmas, but have only just had time to blog them.  Lucky, because there is no way that I have time to take blog photos this week.

Next week will still be busy, but getting to more manageable.  Luckily I still have a couple of things left to blog, and am working on simple things at the moment - always best to make simple things when energy is going into other activities that have to be done.

See you all next week,

Sarah Liz :)

P.S. Costings - The rayon for pants and top cost $16.00, plus allow $15.00 for thread, elastic, interfacing, lawn for pockets and facing, and button.  $31.00.

The patterns were counted as no cost as I had used both before.

 Now that is good value - $15.50 per garment. So if you find fabric on sale and have used the pattern, sewing starts to become more cost effective.


33 comments:

  1. A lovely top - this is such a good pattern. I know what you mean about the leftovers, if you are careful with your pattern layout. I often have a nice-sized piece to use in another project. With the matching pants, this top could make a really dressy outfit too. Great sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia - thank you, and yes, it's so satisfying to squeeze a freebie in. With a belt, the top and pants would make a sort of jumpsuit.

      Delete
  2. Lovely top. It's always a bonus when you realise you have enough fabric left over for another garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think we sewers are agreed on the joy of an extra garment from the bit leftover :)

      Delete
  3. Really nice top! I love your cost analysis...cost per unit will go down withevery additional use of a pattern, and even further when worn over and over. Now I can justify some fancy fabric from Taos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. Of course, there are lots of variables in the equation...

      Delete
  4. Love this top on you. I may give it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so simple to make, but I do suggest a muslin first - what looks good on one person doesn't always suit another person.

      Delete
  5. It is a pretty top and looks great with your pants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - this is my favourite top and pants so far :)

      Delete
  6. That fabric works really well for the pattern. It's great that it's cool and looks so nice, plus being so simple to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly - yes, it's the fabric that really makes the top work - the right sort of drape.

      Delete
  7. It's like a free bonus top! It looks really lovely - I love the shaped hem. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather - and don't we like the bonus bits left over - wool to go into the next pair of striped socks comes to mind :)

      Delete
  8. How lovely to see you smiling! (Your top and trousers are also lovely)

    I rarely get enough fabric to create a second garment - well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing now - I'll have to practice smiling at just the right moment for that self time - not easy :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Hope all is well with your sewing projects...

      Delete
  10. Nice top - I always try to save fabric to incorporate into future projects. It's so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I agree, I keep most leftovers - they have been know the save a sewing project sometimes.

      Delete
  11. This is such a lovely loose top. It drapes so nicely and goes beautifully with the new trousers. I usually find my leftover material not quite big enough to make something else out of... It's quite frustrating, and leads to drawers full of short lengths. Thank goodness for Tilton sisters patterns and a bit of mixing and matching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you T.S. I agree, usually pieces are infuriatingly small, but I keep them nonetheless - for lining pockets, facings, yokes, or sometimes just for a trial run - it doesn't matter what you use for these jobs.

      Delete
  12. Another lovely version. Love the fabric in this one and very versatile. Looking good with the new trousers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - yes, this is a great fabric - it's smart and dressy enough for most things.

      Delete
  13. Lovely pairing of pattern to fabric for the loveliest of tops. It looks terrific on you and goes perfectly with your pants. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and yes, the pants are my recent me made Simplicity pants, also in rayon - smart enough to wear anywhere - both the top and pants.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lisa - and yes, the pants are my recent me made Simplicity pants, also in rayon - smart enough to wear anywhere - both the top and pants.

      Delete
  14. So pretty.. Top looks great with these pants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The rayon top is beautiful on you: the drapey fabric, the pattern. I can see you being able to dress this up and down easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I like being able to dress everything up or down to get more mileage from my clothes.

      Delete