Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Making of a New Summer Dress...



I am catching up with some back blogging.  I have a few garments made but not yet blogged, so I went on a self photo binge this morning - and still have not found a good place for light in this house yet.  Not yet a priority, but one day.  Sewing is my main focus...which is why I have a backlog of things to blog.  Plus I hate doing the photos.   Anyway, on with the story...

Last year I purchased 2.2 metres of poly-cotton from Spotlight, planning to make a dress.  When I rethought the plan in front of a full length mirror at home, I decided that a dress did not look right in this fabric.  So I decided to make a skirt as well.  I chose Burda 6937, version B,  an elastic waist skirt with CB and side seams and a front pleat:

Burda Skirts 6937

This skirt took 1.6 metres.  I made sure that it was long enough for me as it looked short on the model.  I had a chunk left over and a piece along the side of the 1.6.  I could just get a top out of this if I could just take a bit out of the length of the skirt, and a bit out of the length of the sleeves in the top.  This was easily done by changing the fabric used in the waistband -  I used a piece of black lawn for that.

There is really not much to say about this skirt, except it was so easy, and works really well for me.  I doubt it would work for a very curvy figure, as the front pleat would not hang nearly as straight as it does on me.

So, just one or two views, and then I will show you the top:







And that contrast waistband:


The top was another version of New Look 6344:

New Look Misses' Tops in Two Lengths 6344

I have made this before so if you are interested in details about this top, please visit this post.

This would a very straightforward make except for pleating the neckline - working with this pattern set up a real strobe effect and I got quite headachey and squiffy eyed.  But don't they look fantastic?





 For some reason, a top and skirt works, but when I held it up as one piece, it just was not going to look fantastic at all.  I think it is because both of these garments incorporate pleating, which works with the pattern, and with my body shape.

So, I got my new striped dress after all:


With the added bonus that I can separate these garments and wear them with other things. Win :)

That's it for today, and I'll do another catch up post during the week...

Sarah Liz

P.S. Costing - Top Pattern already used, Skirt Pattern, on sale, $7.95,  fabric was $10.19, plus lawn and interfacing $1.50, Elastic, $1.75, Thread and needle allowance 2 garments, $10.00, button, $0.50.
Total: $31.89 for both garments.

25 comments:

  1. Love the pleating in the top. Lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It worked out well in the end.

      Delete
  2. I liked the skirt and the lovely pleat sitting so well, but when I saw the set together, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a stroke of luck how well the two work together.

      Delete
  3. These items look great on you. I like both patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy - I'll be using the patterns again.

      Delete
  4. That looks terrific. The combination of the two patterns is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - lady luck played a role in this though :)

      Delete
  5. I love your new skirt/top combo..Looks fantastic on you.. Really cute pattern. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find separates so useful, much more than a dress - and if you can turn them into a dress, well so much the better! I likes your patterns and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - yes, I'm a separates person as well.

      Delete
  7. I find separates so useful, much more than a dress - and if you can turn them into a dress, well so much the better! I likes your patterns and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to make up the two pieces and they will be so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon -sometimes sewing ideas just fall into place don't they?

      Delete
  9. I really love the top and skirt together as a "faux" dress! They do work great together. And as you noted, you can wear each as a separate piece together; a lot more mileage that way. I really like the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - the fabric is fun, it looked too much in a dress, but really works in the broken up way - even though it is still an all over look.

      Delete
  10. I like both combos of the top and skirt. The patterned items really work with you and the pleating on the top is really well done. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Love Nicky - the angular patterns that are lively tend to really work on me. Not many patterns do though.

      Delete
  11. Pretty outfit! Love the fabric and your work detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im the same with photos. ALways the hardest thing to motivate myself to do! What a fabulous outfit, your fabric makes it so impressive

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about this outfit!! The top's pleating, coupled with the stripe effect is so pretty and the skirt's front pleat adds an interesting effect to an otherwise plain-ish skirt. Great pattern/fabric 'fit'!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are brilliant, perfect as an outfit but the top is the true star.

    ReplyDelete