I've been away for the blogosphere for some weeks now. This was a rather forced break and came about because my computer did a large Phuttting and puffed a lot of smoke into the room. I stood back watching and wondering if I would need to get the fire extinguisher - I don't panic in these situations - and then it did a long and final Phutttt and died. I turned the power off and told DH, who I knew would take care of the problem. In due course a new computer arrived and DH has set it up so I can operate again. I was starting to grind to a halt, because I work a lot from home as well. At the same time the computer at the rooms was hijacked in one of those coincidental situations, so we had remedial work to do there as well, and my personal office computer (when I work there) has been given to the receptionist while we sort out the old one.
So life has been fun...
Before all this happened, I made this little cotton top. I had a thing about Vogue 9085, in that I wasn't sure if I loved or hated it:
As I was not sure about this, and felt ho hum about even making it up, I decided not to make a muslin. It didn't look as though there was much to fit.
I used a homespun quilting cotton, purchased from Spotlight. It wrinkles a lot, but it sort of has a softness and texture to it that I really like, and the wrinkles seem to work well with the softness and texture.
I made view C but changed the sleeves to a short length. I cut size 10 shoulders and neck, with 12 sides. I raised the front of the neck and seamed the neck at 3/8 inch to make it a little higher. I shortened the top by about 1 and 1/4 inch below the L/S lines as it was very long. And I added an extra buttonhole to make 5 buttons total - 4 just look wrong.
As soon as I made the pleats at the front and back I could tell the top was going to be too tight around my front . And it looked so not me, too hourglass. so I let out the front pleats to suit my shape. Straight away it looked more me. Then I finished to top, with my usual top stitching everywhere - which the bland homespun cotton needed.
My biggest problem was the buttons. Ordinary ones made the top look really blah, but I found these pretty buttons with a sort of self stripe through them:
Some quick views and then I will tell you whether I am still blah about this top or not:
The verdict is that I do like this top and I think it will be a lovely summer top for casual house wear in summer. I would love to make it in a dressier fabric in the future. I think there is a lot of potential with this pattern to make something really quite nice. I must try the other variations one day as well.
Cost wise, the fabric $12.00, pattern probably $5.00, Buttons, $6.00, Thread and Needle allowance $5.00. and interfacing $1.00 allowed. About $29.00. But a winner to remake one day.
Over the next few weeks there will be a few catch up posts with maybe one or two surprises.
See you soon,