Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

I'm back blogging - with Vogue 8906




I've been away for the blogosphere for some weeks now.  This was a rather forced break and came about because my computer did a large Phuttting and puffed a lot of smoke into the room.  I stood back watching and wondering if I would need to get the fire extinguisher - I don't panic in these situations - and then it did a long and final Phutttt and died.  I turned the power off and told DH, who I knew would take care of the problem.  In due course a new computer arrived and DH has set it up so I can operate again.  I was starting to grind to a halt, because I work a lot from home as well.  At the same time the computer at the rooms was hijacked in one of those coincidental situations, so we had remedial work to do there as well, and my personal office computer (when I work there) has been given to the receptionist while we sort out the old one.

So life has been fun...

Before all this happened, I made this little cotton top.  I had a thing about Vogue 9085, in that I wasn't sure if I loved or hated it:




As I was not sure about this, and felt ho hum about even making it up, I decided not to make a muslin.  It didn't look as though there was much to fit.

I used a homespun quilting cotton, purchased from Spotlight.  It wrinkles  a lot, but it sort of has a softness and texture to it that I really like, and the wrinkles seem to work well with the softness and texture.

I made view C but changed the sleeves to a short length. I cut size 10 shoulders and neck, with 12 sides. I raised  the front of the neck and seamed the neck at 3/8 inch to make it a little higher.  I shortened the top by about 1 and 1/4 inch   below the L/S lines as it was very long. And I added an extra buttonhole to make 5 buttons total - 4 just look wrong.

As soon as I made the pleats at the front and back I could tell the top was going to be too tight around my front . And it looked so not me, too hourglass.  so I let out the front pleats to suit my shape.  Straight away it looked more me.  Then I finished to top, with my usual top stitching everywhere - which the bland homespun cotton needed.



My biggest problem was the buttons. Ordinary ones made the top look really blah, but I found these pretty buttons with a sort of self stripe through them:



Some quick views and then I will tell you whether I am still blah about this top or not:







The verdict is that I do like this top and I think it will be a lovely summer top for casual house wear in summer.  I would love to make it in a dressier fabric in the future.  I think there is a lot of potential with this pattern to make something really quite nice.  I must try the other variations one day as well.

Cost wise, the fabric $12.00, pattern probably $5.00, Buttons, $6.00, Thread and Needle allowance $5.00. and interfacing $1.00 allowed. About $29.00.  But a winner to remake one day.

Over the next few weeks there will be a few catch up posts with maybe one or two surprises.

See you soon,

Sarah Liz

40 comments:

  1. I think the top suits you . Definite winner !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine, there will be more.

      Delete
  2. That is a really pretty top, Sarah Liz. I like a kimono sleeve, and they look so neat and on-trend, and also the way you give a looser fit. The pattern looks a bit too fitted at the waist to my eyes. It makes a very attractive outfit with the black pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - yes, the pattern was too fitted, but this works well. Loose and comfy, but still shaped.

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely top, Sarah Liz and the shape is very flattering. I like the way you have given it enough waist definition without being too fitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. We don't need too much definition at our age :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I am so glad you like this pretty top because I love it!!! Your modifications were exactly what it needed to get the right fit for you, and you did exactly right. And so glad you are up and running with a computer now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I'm glad to be up and running too. Yes, this top is going to be made again, it is lovely, simple to make as well.

      Delete
  5. Those pleats are very flattering especially at the back. Pity about the computer, but glad you are sorted again now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, yes, machines die every so often, to be expected really.

      Delete
  6. Those pleats are very flattering especially at the back. Pity about the computer, but glad you are sorted again now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back!

    Very nice top. It looks great on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're back. I'd feel crazy without my computer. It's amazing how dependent on it I am. I love your top - it definitely looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, it's so frustrating not having a functional computer, I agree.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sarah Liz, Pretty top! I have made this pattern 3 times and it remains one of my fave summer patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - I was thinking of you, because I knew you had made this.

      Delete
  10. You have been missed, and welcome back. Its always nice to have a crisp white summer blouse, and this one is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, if in doubt, make white, it will always be worn.

      Delete
  11. Sarah Liz this top is adorable and I love it on you! So smart yet casual at the same time. And its good to have you back in blog-land :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn - I thought you would love this too :)

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous top! I love the pleats shaping the waist like that; very chic. I really should check the pattern out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn - it's amazing how you don't see a pattern in a book until you have seen it made on a blog - they often look different and open the eyes to what can be.

      Delete
  13. Don't be blah about it! The silhouette is perfect and graceful. Maybe try it in a fun print or bright color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more blah - it is nice, but it really would look fantastic in a more worthy fabric.

      Delete
  14. Welcome back!
    Agree with everyone. This top is so lovely and I really love those pleats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - I think the pleats are what drew me to the pattern.

      Delete
  15. Welcome back! I like the shape of your cute little top a lot, and I think it might be REALLY cute in a drapier fabric? Maybe those pleats wouldn't hold up though. Hmmm. Either way, I think you got a great little top out of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, thanks, and I think a better quality poly cotton that holds the pleats would work nicely. I'll have to raid the stash.

      Delete
  16. I love the top and it's really flattering on you. A great white top is so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly- when in doubt I always make white for just that reason.

      Delete
  17. I like this cotton top on you. The shape is great. I think it would be lovely in another colour, florals, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it will be made in something else- this was just testing the pattern in a way that would still be a useful garment to wear.

      Delete
  18. This top looks great on you. I have looked at the same pattern for ages deciding whether to make it. I think I will give it a go , you have inspired me. Good luck with your computers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy, I didn't really know if I liked this top or not, but I do now. I do strongly advise that you muslin first out of something you do not like - I suspect only certain shapes look good in this. It gives me some shape, which is a good thing. have a look on Pattern Review to see what other people think of the top.

      Delete