Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Wadder Confession Time...A Preview...and What's up Next...



Have you noticed how some sewing bloggers never ever seem to have wadders?  In fact, I may even give that impression myself sometimes.

But I do have wadders.  I like to call them learning experiences, because usually a wadder is teaching you something. I don't always blog about them, because I tend to want to just move on.  But today I will share two wadder stories with you.

 A few weeks ago I cut out a polyester crepe jacket that looked awful on me. The calico toile looked fine, but when I made it up in a fabric with some drape in it, I looked like a frumpy sack of potatoes.  A little hard to imagine given my angular frame, but believe me, I did.  The offending wadder has left this house in the rubbish bin.

Then I attempted the above wadder today.  I found a piece of scuba knit in the remnant bin at Spotlight.  I decided that I would try it to see what it was like to sew.  I was a little dubious, but the sewing was the easy part.

When I attached the waistband (which was out of a separate and different piece of stretch sateen - I was working with a small remnant)  I inserted the elastic - I always use a casing, I don't stitch in, because you can then take out the elastic and re-use it, or, if you change shape, alter it - and then I tried it on.

Oh, horror.  It looked dreadful.  Although scuba knit seems to suit girls with a bigger build, on my curveless figure,  this fabric on me just looked dreadful.  Not a sophisticated little scuba knit skirt at all, but something sort of sad on me.  Luckily I had not stitched the elastic so out it came and the piece of scuba has departed this house in a very unceremonious fashion.  No more scuba for me.

So, the lesson I have learnt again is that I cannot wear certain fabrics and styles.  Which is why you don't see me wearing popular Indie patterns made up - the Mable skirt  for instance would look dreadful on me and highlight my stick thin thighs instead of enhancing curves.  The  Moneta or Lady Skater would just hang on me.  Yes, I want to make them because many sewing  bloggers do and they look lovely on them, but I know these styles would just be a big fail on me.

MORAL - Sew fabrics and styles that suit you.  If you experiment and have a fail, that's okay, move on and accept the lesson.

*****

After my drapey crepey jacket disaster I made a series of muslins and then had a jacket success.  I am not going to blog about this now, but this is a  A PREVIEW:


I was very busy during the computer down time!  I'll blog this sometime in the near future

And I also have a whole back log of blog posts that I need to do - again, a little preview of what is to come:




That should give you a taste of things to come - not the sort of things that Sarah Liz has been known to make over the last few years, as I have really only concentrated on house casual basics.

*****

As for What's Up Next on my sewing table... What do you think about the culottes, in red poly viscose gabardine?

Burda Misses' Pants 6701


I will of course make a calico first, and then if it works, cut the garment out.  In a fabric I know that works for me.

It's just that cherry red seems a little fashionable and adventurous - do you think these would work for me?  I plan to wear them over black tights because I get cold in winter.  

Bye for now, and I am gradually getting around to replying to your last batch of comments.  

Sarah Liz


28 comments:

  1. Love the dressing gown & blouse fabric. Red culottes sound awesome!

    I keep intending to buy neoprene for toiletries bags, gadget protectors & lunch bags. Cannot imagine using it in clothes & ever being comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - Red culottes it is then.

      I doubt I would have purchased this scuba knit except the piece was only $1.20, so I thought it worth playing with to see what it was like. I think you are right - would be uncomfortable. Much better for bags etc.

      Delete
  2. I like the look of your jacket and the blouse is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - yes, I have had my eye on the blouse pattern for some months.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to read more about your pretty jacket! And yes, I love bloggers who share their wadders, as well as in progress posts. So much to learn from sewing struggles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne - it will be posted over the next few weeks. I'll have to post more about my failures, I can see :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm straight onto the red culottes. Yes, yes I say! I think they will look terrific. I'm also intrigued by the colourful pieces you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red it is then. Yes, colour is not something I normally make up, is it?

      Delete
  5. Oooh I absolutely love your preview pieces!

    And, I agree that those wadders happen, we learn from them and we move on to bigger, better and more fun projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post the rest later... yes,and I am all for better and more fun projects than pursuing failure.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love those previews! Can't wait for more info. Yes to the red culottes!! Sounds so exciting :)

    Thanks for the reminder about those wadders - sometimes I feel like a big failure when something turns out not very well, or totally not suited to me when I'm done. So true that we have certain fabrics & looks that suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the red will have to go ahead...

      And never are you a failure because a style does not suit...

      Delete
  7. First of all..... sooooo very glad to see you back so we can see all the goodness you've been creating!!! What a positive spin on a 'wadder' being a 'learning experience'. And your teasers are really teasers!!! All are so lovely and I can hardly wait to read more about them!! Oooooooh, that floral dress especially. And the culottes..... look forward to seeing what you do with those too. You would look good in red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your welcome back. Yes, too often we blame ourselves and our perceived inadequacies instead of congratulating ourselves on something good about a failure. Every success is built on some sort of learning, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I love your use of florals for both the pants and the dress. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to smile when I read about your wadders, we all have them, and its great to do like what you did...toss them in the rubbish bend and move on. Lovely to see you smile in all of your photos, and it looks like to have many good successful projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane - as my father would have said, that is what the bin is for :)

      Delete
  10. I have sewing fails all the time! I usually just put them in the 'refashion' pile and sleep on it. I am intrigued by culottes but unfortunately I don't think they would work for my body...:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some fabrics go in the refashion pile, but not those fabrics that are not going to work whatever you do, like this piece of scuba. I usually do recycle things.

      Delete
  11. With all those successes, you are bound to get a few wadders on the way. But the up and coming successes look marvellous. Maybe it's worth it to have a computer break down occasionally? More time for sewing? I've been sewing 'unsuitable' things recently, just for the pleasure of playing with the pattern, but I hope I am back on the bandwagon now! We will see :-) regards, Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, yes, maybe it should - but then the backlog of catching up afterwards eats into sewing time.... Playing with patterns is fun,usually reminds you of what it is you don't like, as well as what you do like.

      Delete
  12. I'm looking forward to seeing your new items - your previews look terrific. I'm particularly looking forward to the jacket and I love that blouse fabric - would that go with red culottes? (not do sure about them TBH)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne - the blouse is not quite the right colour for the planned culottes, so no. And in any case, the culottes and the top are both statement pieces, so I would not wear together. Otherwise I would look rather overdone! No, culottes are not for everyone, but they actually are one garment I wear really well, so while they are around, I might as well enjoy them.

      Delete
  13. I'm looking forward to seeing your new items - your previews look terrific. I'm particularly looking forward to the jacket and I love that blouse fabric - would that go with red culottes? (not do sure about them TBH)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne - the jacket will be posted at the end of the month. Yes, red culottes might not be everyone's style, but the toile looks good on me.

      Delete
  14. I like that you have waders. It makes me feel less alone. I agree that these are learning experiences. I like the photos of your other makes. Glad your have your new computer,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, yes, we do feel alone with our sewing failures, but we all have them. I'll keep posting them :)

      Delete