Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Fashion at long last on Sarah Liz Sew Style...



I recently finished these pants, and although I have just written a post, I was so excited about these pants, I wanted to share them with you as soon as possible.

The pattern I used was Burda 6701, a wide leg pant.  I picked it up recently for $5.00 in a Spotlight sale.



As you can see from the line drawing, the side seam is placed a little to the front. This works really nicely, and I found gave a lovely line to the back of the pant.  I'll show you later...

The fabric also came from Spotlight - our local Newcastle store has been getting rid of their surplus stock recently, and I found a piece of polyester and viscose gabardine 150 wide for $2.00 per metre.  It is normally  $14.99 per metre and is still currently in the Spotlight range. (* This fabric bleeds a lot, so I used a dye fixative to set the dye when I was pre washing the fabric).

Now, as this is a fashion garment I would not want to spend too much, so the pattern and material were about the right price as far as I was concerned :).  $9.00 plus notions - about right for a high risk garment that may have a short fashion life.

I was also very out of practice with sewing a more tailored pair of pants, having made only elastic waist trousers for the last eighteen months.  So a fashion garment seemed a good way of getting back into practice, because really, if it isn't quite up to scratch, it will have a finite life.

This was quite a greedy pant as far as fabric was concerned - for the shorter leg version, 1.9 metres was required (and this is 150 wide fabric).  Luckily, when the fashion life of these pants is over, I will be able to use a leftover piece combined with the back panels of the pants to make a skirt!

Before I do that though, I am going to enjoy these pants.  Before I show you some pictures, just a few technical details:

* I made version B, the shorter pant.

* I cut size 10 hips and 12 waist - with just a smidge more.  I took up 1 inch in length along the L/S line.  I added one inch to the upper waist of pants front and back as I have a long rise.  This meant I also had to move the pockets up an inch.

* Yes, I did make a quick muslin out of old sheet to check that this size was about right. That was a bit loose, but I knew the fashion fabric was thicker so that all the little seams and darts would take up some of this ease with the thicker turn of cloth.

* In seam pockets are a feature of the pattern.  I used a thin poly cotton to reduce bulk in this area.

* The pattern used an invisible zip in the back of the garment.  I hate back zips so I added a false fly opening at the front and inserted a standard zipper.  I also interfaced the zipper area.

* As I am on my lower range of weight at the moment, I added a seam at the back of the waistband with a wide seam allowance.  If I reach my upper weight I can easily undo the waistband and then adjust darts  and the waistband seam to give me more room.

*Trousers were still too long, so I had to remove 1.5 inches from the hem of the trouser to get them to look about the same length as shown in the picture.

* I was careful to level the hems at the centre especially because with this sort of obvious hemline, if one leg is a different length to the other, it shows. With full length you can get away with the odd discrepancy, not that we aim for that, do we??

PHEW. THAT'S IT FOR THE WRITING, NOW THE FUN PART:


Could be a skirt....


But no, it's a pair of culottes....


Aren't they fun...


Neat from the side too...





And the back...


I'm going to enjoy wearing these...

Well, that's it for today...I'll be back at the end of the week with one of my back posts.

Happy Me Made May 16 to all the participants this year...

Sarah Liz

P.S. Costings : Pattern $5.00, Fabric $4.00.  Pocket lining $1.00.  Interfacing $1.00. Zip $1.50.  Retayne fixative, $1.00.  Thread, $3.45, Needle and Overlocking Thread allowance $4.00.

Plus a muslin from Op Shop sheet, $2.00

Total: $22.95.

30 comments:

  1. I'm trying to post from train not easy I've already lost a post. Like colour. Interested you cost toiles others on course I'm on don't but I am going to esp as cost is high due to numbers I've made. I see your thread and overlocker and needle allowance as quite high. Does that include 'wear and tear'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate using devices on public transport, so frustrating. As far as costing is concerned, I have seen worksheets just itemising what goes into the actual garment, but really, a manufacturer would go broke if they did not cost everything else as well. No doubt they have ways and means, but I certainly do count the cost of all the bits and pieces that contribute to a garment. Yes, needle allowance is wear and tear. I am not costing machine depreciation though!

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to post from train not easy I've already lost a post. Like colour. Interested you cost toiles others on course I'm on don't but I am going to esp as cost is high due to numbers I've made. I see your thread and overlocker and needle allowance as quite high. Does that include 'wear and tear'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very stunning pants Sarah Liz, beautifully fitted as always, and that colour is gorgeous, so on-trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - yes, this is such a lovely red - as soon as I saw the fabric and pattern together I knew they were made for each other!

      Delete
  4. Very cute pants. Such a fun garment...enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These will be such fun to wear, giving you the swish of a maxi skirt but they won't trip you up! Glad to see you having some fun with your wardrobe, Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I agree, maxi skirts are too long and dangerous to wear - these will be much more wearable.

      Delete
  6. They look great. I love the colour and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it pays to find cheap fabric doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. These look great! And you have the fit just right. Enjoy wearing your fashion trousers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn, I will enjoy - just got to wait for the weather to change...

      Delete
  8. Very fashion trousers! Love the colour and the style is so easy to wear. Enjoy wearing it, Sarah Liz. It suits you beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana -culottes are easy to wear, you are right.

      Delete
  9. Defiantly a fashion statement. Turned out fantastic and beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - yes, the red is stunning - just verging towards burgundy.

      Delete
  10. Oh I love these, what a fab colour. They really suit you. Have fun wearing them. I find it so interesting you costing your makes. I am trying to keep a better handle on how much I spend. I hadn't thought of how much I spend on needles and thread, mainly just the pattern and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. Yes, costs - I think we sewers often delude ourselves about what we really spend...

      Delete
  11. Very stylish pants! You're going to have fun wearing these pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colour and your tailoring is spot on. I include the cost of notions too. The 100m spools of Gutermann are not cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, Gutermann pricey - and so is the overlocking thread considering how much one uses - and interfacing can be pricey as well. Fabric is only part of the equation.

      Delete
  13. What great pants! I love the colour and the wide wide legs, and it looks like you got a fantastic fit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather - these are really comfy to wear as well :)

      Delete
  14. Très chic!!!! I absolutely love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic! Everything about these are fantastic! You look very stylish in this cut, color and style! It was interesting to read your notes, and particularly noted how you added a wider seam allowance in the waist band for future alterations if needed. That's my biggest problem and why I've stuck with making elastic waist garments for now, is future alterations to (hopefully!) smaller waist. Hmmm, may think more about this....! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore these! The color, the length, the volume. It is a perfect combo and you look ever so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are really stylish Sarah liz. I love this lok on you.

    ReplyDelete