Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

And Sew to June


I always like the start of a new month and new plans - especially after my fizzling attempt at Me Made May - last week I posted a couple of pictures on Instagram, but have absolutely no motivation to write any sort of post documenting the last week.  Partly this is because I had to go away again, and had little time, and partly because of what needed to be done when I was away.  So I decided to call it quits for this year and try again next year.

No matter what else is going on, I do manage to do a little bit of sewing each day.  I would prefer larger chunks of time, but really, if all you do is a little job each day, after a period of time you have a nice new garment.  And sewing is also a form of focused distraction for me, necessary for relaxation in my case, as is blogging.

So, what will June bring? As far as the blog is concerned, I have a few garments that need to be posted.  The first is the top shown  above. a Simplicity pattern.  The second is this top, also a Simplicity pattern.




I have also made two tops using Burda patterns. The first is Burda 6696:


Burda Misses' Tops 6696

I have actually made the top, and it looks gorgeous, but I haven't taken photographs yet.  It's a little hard to see in the pattern picture, but the front of the top is pleated.  If you look at the teeny line drawings you may just be able to make these out.

The second  top made but not photographed is Burda 6694:

Burda Misses' Tops 6694


I have made the middle top, View A. in a soft knit I had lying around. Again, no photo's, so I am keeping you in suspense.  I am toying with the idea of making the dress as well as View B one day.  The dress would also make a nice top.

So, that is four tops to be blogged during the next few weeks.  I hope to post the first on Sunday.

Otherwise, here at Sarah Liz Sew Style, I am not sure what to do next.  Toying with the idea of wide leg pants.

While I am pondering, I have a job to do though.  My husband's birthday present.  I have decided to make him a nice, warm, something to wear in the evening when he gets home from work.  His birthday has passed now, but he knew I could not start until June.  He's quite enjoying the process though - he knows the fabric has been washed, the pattern was drawn today.  He thinks it makes his birthday last so much longer!

All for now.  Before I go, I just want to let you know that I have been so pre-occupied recently, that i have not really been attending much to either my or your blogs.  Life sometimes gets in the way, but I think we all know that - and we all have periods like that.  So I hope to do better next week.  For those of you a bit more in the know, thanks for your support over the last few months.  It's much appreciated.

Sarah Liz

14 comments:

  1. Well I'm not in the know but I hope everything is ok for you . Your productivity doesn't seem too threatened though if you have 4 tops made and not blogged! I'm impressed. Will you show the 'something warm for after work' gift?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just lots of hassles - especially the roof/insurance issue. One of those years! Yes, I make sure I keep sewing a bit every day, or I tend to get down in the dumps! And these are simple things.

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate, Liz. Life really does get in the way sometimes. But I'm glad you still make time to sew a little each day - it really does add up. I love your tops; I can't wait to see the rest of them. It would be great to see what you make for your husband, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be lovely if life just stood aside so we could sew to our heart's content:). Meanwhile, the little and often will have to do. Still working on my husband's gift.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you have time to sew in between your busy day. I love your pretty tops, they look really good on you :)
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana for your kind thoughts. And I make sure to find just a few minutes daily :)

      Delete
  4. Love both the Simplicity and Burda tops you have chosen to make and look forward to seeing/reading more about them!! What fun to extend your husband's birthday this way! Anticipation is part of the excitement. I'm also impressed with your productivity so those few minutes a day must work. Wishing you well and we all understand that 'life' just sometimes gets in the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - will share later. And yes, I think my husband is enjoying the unfolding - he certainly is aware that a lot of thought and work goes into making something unique.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work, as always SarahLiz. Hope you are able to blag and sew more, and hoping the same for myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - wishing you the same - looks as though you are really settling into your new life.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sarah Liz, they are both lovely tops. I particularly like the stretch knit in the first which is understated but elegant. The second looks like a Coco style. Do you mind me asking the pattern number. It looks most useful. Good luck with the trousers, something I'm giving consideration to, since our summer is pretty much winter at the moment! Best wishes, Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, Thank you. I'll be blogging about the second top mid June, that will have all the details. And yes, you could do with trousers much of the year in the UK - good luck.

      Delete
  7. Sewing a little each day is how I get by too. I'd love the idea of a whole morning sewing but for me it's unrealistic. But you are right, a seam here a pocket there and before you know it a new garment. Hope life gives you a little more free time in June. Enjoy making your husband's gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, yes, hard to imagine you would get large slabs of sewing time, with a family of young ones. Still, that little bit of focused time is so helpful, for all sorts of reasons, isn't it :)

      Delete