Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Blue Hue - Simplicity 1317 Top.


 Currently I am in the middle of making a few knit garments.  As many of you know, I only started sewing with these last year, and I am still getting the hang of how these fabrics behave.  I figure it is worth learning how to sew knits because the finished garments are quick and easy to sew and also don't need much ironing.   This makes them great for quick wardrobe building - well, it will when I have learnt to sew knits quickly...

This little top is a Simplicity Pattern (1317):



 I purchased this on a $5.00 sale at Spotlight.  I love these pattern sales as it means I can try patterns out with not much lost if I don't like the pattern at muslin stage.  I guess this means I like the experimentation that a cheaper pattern offers.  When they are full price you pretty much have to buy something that works well for you, which means getting a bit stuck in a rut sometimes.

The fabric was a polyester/elastane 4 way stretch knit I purchased at Spotlight for $9.99 per metre.  I don't normally go for polyester but liked the colour and pattern on this fabric.  I have since found that this fabric is quite nice to wear, especially as I wear a t-shirt underneath for warmth.

The finished result is really quite nice - although this is a sort of casual sweatshirt sort of top, in a nice pattern it looks like a very pretty top.


As for the details: I cut Size S, view A. I took 2 inches out of the sleeve along the L/s lines, but as I seamed the cuffs at 3/8 inch instead of 5/8 inch, the resulting sleeves are only 1.75  inches shorter.   I did not alter the length but again, seamed the band at 3/8 inch instead of 5/8 inch, so the top is 1/2 inch longer than it is supposed to be.

This was a straightforward make but I still have problems running off the overlocker neatly on these very stretchy knits when I do the neckband:



I guess one day I will get the feel of how to manipulate knits better under the overlocker. What I tend to do is distract the eye away from the problem area by adding a feature - in this case the guipure daisy.

The bottom band looks good though, so I am slowly learning:



Well, I have a corker of a headache today, so I will just say goodbye today, and leave you with the pictures:









Oh, and before I go, I just need to mention that the neckline on this top, while pretty, is a little wider than those I normally wear.  While this looks nice, it is also a bit chilly, so with a leftover strip of fabric I made a cowl scarf.  Which looks almost as though it is part of the top and certainly works nicely with it.  




That's it, off for a lie down now...

Bye for now,

Sarah Liz

P.S. : Costings - Simplicity 1317 - Fabric $19.98, Pattern $5.00. Needle and Thread allowance $6.00.   $30.98.  (More expensive than most of my me makes this year - but then, I did not purchase this fabric on sale.  The scarf adds a more expensive look though, so that's okay!)

33 comments:

  1. Lovely top - hoping the headache goes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the headache eases quickly. This is a great little sweatshirt, but making the matching cowl was inspired. Well done really makes it. May steal that idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. Please do feel free to steal the idea, I probably did as well.

      Delete
  3. Hope that headache is gone by now. A great little pattern - the fabric is lovely but I love what you've done by adding that scarf. It really dresses it up and then it's a whole new look without it when it's warm enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - a couple of panadeine helped. And yes, I love the duality of this top, with or without scarf.

      Delete
  4. Looks really good on you and the scarf addition is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful top, and your addition of the cowl is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - I think the cold neck prompted the inner genius.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful top - the scarf looks so great with it. I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful! Blue is always my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - blue is so wearable, I find.

      Delete
  8. You have made some lovely blue knit tops and love this last one especially with the cowl added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - blue knit tops have been on the make list for a while now!

      Delete
  9. What a great top - I always like a raglan sleeve, and it looks like a good pattern. Love your fabric too Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pattern gave me no trouble, except you do have to watch the wide neckline, especially in a very stretchy knit.

      Delete
  10. I love everything about this - fabric, style, fit and especially your added cowl. Blues are good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - blues suit you nicely as well.

      Delete
  11. I love everything about this - fabric, style, fit and especially your added cowl. Blues are good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's time for you to get aboard the knit train. Your top is beautiful and most knits you'll keep until you decide to get rid of it. They are great for working people. Grab and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dorothy, not only easy care but comfortable as well.

      Delete
  13. Your new top looks great. I can see you becoming a knit convert in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, now I am learning to handle them, I think I will be quite keen before long!

      Delete
  14. I don't think there is any great way to end serging on a circular area. I just end up serging over where I started and trimming away the extra.

    I like this pattern and think the top looks good. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L - I am starting to think Simplicity makes patterns that work for me. Glad I am not the only one who doesn't think the ending of circular serging is particularly great.

      Delete
  15. You look so pretty in this top! I had no idea it was a 'sweatshirt' pattern! Hope you are feeling better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - again, this shows how fabric can change the whole look of a concept.

      Delete
  16. Jersey knits are so practical to make and wear. I love them. Love your choice of fabric for this top, the colour is lovely. And the daisy is actually a lovely finishing touch. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, - yes, I am starting to see some advantages to them! And quite quick too, once you get the hang of them.

      Delete
  17. Knit tops are so easy and practical to make, and to wear too. The fabric has a lovely print and colour; itwill go beautifully with all your plain pants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, the practicality - especially the wash and wear factor, appeals to me I have to admit. And you are right - I chose to make this fabric up quickly because it will go with my basic black and navy.

      Delete