Pages

Monday, June 27, 2016

Sewing when there is no time for sewing...



Last week was very trying with all sorts of disruptions and things needing attention.  Mostly to do with the house.  Our drains are very old, and during summer the back half of the drains collapsed, and replaced - with most of our lawn dug up.  The lawn came back, but now we are back to this:




No lawn  again.  And as you can see, it is damp and gloomy - I've just taken the last two pictures at 4.45 pm in NSW - and this is how dark it is already.  And the plumbers keep stopping work when it rains - the drains going up the side of the house are being relined so that we don't have to dig down there as well - you can see we have had to at the corner, the pavers are up.

So I am about over drains this year.  And the lawn is now going to have to be turf laid I think.  I'm not weeding the mud patch over winter.

We are also having our roof replaced next week after the cyclone of April 2015 left us with holes in the roof and lots of other damage.  As it is a slate roof it is quite expensive to repair.  Now I won't go into all the ins and outs, of what is a very  convoluted story and ended up with us going into a formal dispute with the insurance company.  We had gathered evidence that the builder was acting rather dishonestly in dealing with us, they agreed, and we had our claim paid out.

All very draining and tiring, and also no fun living in a dank house in winter with holes in the roof.

Anyway, the scaffolding goes up Friday.  I dare say most of the existing roof will end up where the lawn was, and that would not have done it much good either.  So, I shall just be philosophical about this.

And I chipped a tooth, and had to get that sorted out.

And my car needs a service which gets delayed, and it also needs replacing...only I don't like the new cars on the market.

And it is the end of the financial year and I have lots of things to sort out, and I do not like paperwork at all!

Finally, at the end of the week I managed a bit of sewing time - and made two infinity cowl scarves. Satisfying bliss:).

They are both made from remnants found at Spotlight- so the total cost was about $1.00 each.

The first is a cotton jersey, very dark navy with paler blue roses:


And I am sorry about the lighting - I often take pictures at night, and think the lighting is okay, but when I see the photographs, often find out it isn't!

The second is a lovely soft polyester/viscose mix:



I really like this one, it has a wonderful drape and cowl feel to it.  It looks lovely over my better jumpers.

And a couple of weeks ago I made these two infinity cowls:




This is a red cotton rib jersey - really soft, and sits so nicely around the neck.

And the last is a bit of fun:



My snow white pretend fur scarf - it's actually a piece of polyester nursery fleece - but it feels and looks lovely as a scarf.

So that's the neck looking smart for this winter - and warm too, and currently we are having icy sorts of weather.  Which may surprise those of you who do not live in Australia, but we do get cold weather here - and our houses are not designed well for the cold.


And currently I am working on a jacket, which is my June, Make a Garment a Month official garment:


And wouldn't you know, I have cut the garment and now found a hole on the back.  I'm working out a solution tonight when I have had a little think.  I hope to actually spend some time sewing this garment tomorrow!

Before I go and  have my little think about how to deal with this nuisance of a hole, I'd like to thank you all for your comments about DH's birthday gift.  Unfortunately I didn't reply to everyone's lovely comments given that life was too busy, but they have all been read and appreciated.  And DH loves his new gown, and finds it lovely and warm.  Another planned for next birthday, now I have worked out the pattern.

I have made sure to visit your blogs and comment on your makes though.  I do think blogging is about friendships and relationships.

I do hope everyone has a good week,

Sarah Liz



34 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed you will be looking very neck-smart in the cool weather this week, Sarah Liz. It is quite icy here in Southern Queensland as well this week. Your scarves all look so cosy and warm, and I love the new jacket pattern. What rotten luck with the drains, and it sounds like a real horror story with the roof. New slate tiles will look very stylish, and good luck with being a worksite next week! Stay warm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia, thank you for your commiserations - at least when I go out to see the roof progress I will have a warm neck :)

      Delete
  2. I love infinity scarves and I think I can safely say I've made many dozens to sell to make money for our local food Bank. Poor you . I do hope all your troubles will soon be sorted out!!! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and infinity scarves are so much easier to wear than the scarves that wrap around the neck.

      Delete
  3. What a list of issues to deal with! I hope making these lovely scarves soothed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I'm not sure about soothed, but certainly felt as though I had achieved something at least :)

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the ongoing drain situation. My main drain is being snaked even as I type this. Slightly unclogged but tomorrow they'll be back to put a camera through the line and see what's what. In the interim we're told not to flush any toilet paper! That makes for an interesting situation.

    Your scarves are lovely. Staying warm should help your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your drain problems - I hope that the situation was not too serious. And thank you for the compliment about the scarves.

      Delete
  5. I do hope that all your problems get sorted out very, very soon. I'll be looking forward to seeing your new jacket. I purchased the same pattern in this past year with full intent of churning out a coat before winter was over. It didn't happen, but I love to see what other sewers do with the same design so that I will get motivated once the weather here starts to cool down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene. I'll be posting the jacket in a few days - it looks good.

      Delete
  6. Love your cowls. So nice to sew something when life gets crazy!!!
    SO sorry about your plumbing issues.. eeeh... We decided to have our septic tank checked/cleaned out or what ever it might need..[since moving into old house.not sure what it might need?].WELL... They came out, and we discovered it was no real septic tank in there but some one had home-made one..it was some type of tank in there???? So, we had a new one put in 2 weeks ago..We just got through laying sod. We had rain today.. guess what? We look out there and our sod is sinking.. and the hole is sinking.. Hubby says, something is broke in there and is sucking the water [rain] into our septic tank..Oh my.. Called the plumber today, hopefully, they will come tomorrow and correct the problem.??? Guess we will be laying more sod? [and it is 100 degrees here..] Not happy!!
    Hope your week gets better..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and by now I have left a comment on your blog about the troubles you have had with the septic.

      Delete
  7. ps... Cant wait to see your coat. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you said you were going to have a 'little think' tonight I think it should have said a ' little Drink'! Just the paper work alone would have me crawling back under the covers. Sending you good vibrations! Just keep making beautiful scarves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, maybe a little drink will help the little think? Yes, more simple sewing lined up...

      Delete
  9. So many issues to deal with! Any one of those would be trying. I pray that there will soon be better days. I love the blue infinity scarf - love the print. I hope you manage to sort out the fabric for the jacket - the pattern looks nice. I'm hoping to be back on MAGAM in July. Not much sewjo at present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I think the drains are sorted, and the roof replacement will be a big step forward. I'm not surprised your sewjo is having a rest - it needs one!

      Delete
  10. Your infinity cowls are always nice, and useful if you are getting such cold weather. I love the snowy one. I hope your repairs now go smoothly. Best of luck with them all.
    TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello TS - Thank you - yes, I wear a little something around my neck everyday...

      Delete
  11. Wow.... just wow. You have had more than the normal amount of 'troubles' to deal with. Hope once all these are finally sorted out, you will be done with 'stuff' for a while. Agree with Trish, that your infinity cowls are always nice. Like the red and white one for the pop of color and comfiness respectively. And I love learning about your amazing country! Stay warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa - I'm used to runs of trouble from time to time. While it doesn't improve the mood, you do know that tedious times will always pass. Yes, the red and white are gorgeous, I agree.

      Delete
  12. Thank goodness that week is over then, I'd say. House repairs, insurance companies and trades people....home owners Bermuda Triangle. I love the scarves with a great range of colours and textures making them perfect to brighten up a dark winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always good to get the bad times behind one. This week was a bit more of the same, but things should settle soon.

      Delete
  13. Those scarves are great, they will keep you nice and warm. Sorry to hear that everything is going wrong with your house at the moment. Things always seem to go wrong at the same time dont they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - and you are right, things always come together.

      Delete
  14. Well sorry to hear you are having a blah time of it. I always feel unsettled when things are in a disarray and your situation is largely out of your control. Good that you got in a little sewing to cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - yes, disarray is always unsettling if you are an organised type. Still, a lot of this will soon be in the past...

      Delete
  15. Hope all your problems will soon be sorted out. I love your scarves, they are great and for sure you will wear them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - and yes, I wear a little scarf everyday now to keep my neck warm. Isn't it nice being able to sew little things like this?

      Delete
  16. Oh you are having some challenges but soon I hope they will all start to disappear as the grass starts to grow in spring. You have a very collection of neck warmers now to go with any outfit or desire so enjoy wearing them and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your troubles. It never rains but it pours, eh? Anyway your cowls are lovely and it's good you found time for a little sewing therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear about all the troubles you are having. At least your cowl scarves are really awesome! I love them too! They are really warm and useful and really add a little something to the winter outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - over time the troubles will go :). Cowls scarves are great aren't they - and so cheap and easy to sew. I have tiny little ones I wear at the top of a jumper - like a little collar. They work nicely too.

      Delete
  19. You look in as much mess as we are. Still we have to tell ourselves it will all be worth it once its done. I love all of your scarfs and such useful warm accessories.

    ReplyDelete