Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Top That Nearly Never Happened...Simplicity 2599




The trials and tribulations of a sewing blogger have continued this week in that I found another piece of fabric with flaws in it.  So, although we are nowhere near summer down in Oz, I decided that this piece of stash annoyed me and I wanted to use it straight away because otherwise it was going to niggle at me, you know, what are you going to do with me, I'm flawed, sort of niggle.  The sort of niggle that distracts you and keeps you awake at night.  No, that niggle had to be dealt with...

The fabric is rayon, and the first thing I noticed when I pre washed it was a strange streakiness in the dye.  I decided that if this was going to be the case and I was going to get a sort of washed dye look, that I would prefer the streaks to go up and down, so I decided it was best to cut  the fabric on the crossgrain. This also helped me avoid obvious flaws running about two inches in from each selvedge.
 with these limitations, I chose a simple top - which also happened to be one I have long wanted to make. It's been in my stash now for quite a while.  Enter Simplicity 2599:


This is a simple top with bust darts at the front, and just a plain back seam, no darts.  The CB of the neckline closes with a button.  Very simple.  I wanted a plain, simple, loose fitting shell, and this was it.

I didn't want cap sleeves though so I altered the sleeve to a short one.  I kept it quite full so that the sleeves are cool to wear on a hot, humid day.  Not that we will have those for some months yet...

I cut size 12 through the bodice and 8 shoulders and armhole, grading the armhole curve out to 12 closer to the bodice. I raised the neckline about a cm and used a 1 cm seam allowance - meaning that in total, the neckline is now about 1.5 cms higher than the pattern neckline.  I took off about 3 cms at the hem as the top was just a little long for me.  The darts were too low for my bust apex, and too far from the apex, so I raised the apex and also added some length to the dart.

It was a straightforward sew I suppose, except I was in the early part of a rheumatoid flare, so sewing was really difficult to do.  But so is anything  and you have got to do something with the day.  I just decided to not go for perfection and some of my seams are a little bit wobblier than normal.  But I persevered and won.

I did find that the button loop was a bit long and had to use a much larger button than that suggested on the pattern.  No matter, a quick raid of the stash found a suitable one:


I quite like the larger button, sort of makes a nice feature.  But if I want a smaller button I would shorten the loop.

After I finished the top, I rinsed it out and ironed it. And then I found it.  Another flaw.  I thought maybe I had abraded the fabric accidentally, but it had been nowhere near the feed dog.  So I think, as it was only obvious after washing again, that it was in the fabric all along - I must have got the dud piece, I think.

My first reaction was to toss the thing, but after a bit of calm reflection, decided that was a daft thing to do, as I had spent a lot of sore joint sewing time on this top.  So I rummaged through the stash and found a bit of nylon lace:


And stitched it over the flaw.  The flaw itself was sealed with some clear nail polish:


And that solved that problem!  DH said he thought it suited the top.  He knows the right things to say! He's probably learnt from saying the wrong things...

Of course, photo day was a bad hair day - it was pouring with rain outside, so all my hair wanted to do was misbehave :)







Well, it's cool, unstructured, roomy, and hides the tummy - what more could you want - oh yes, pockets in the pants:


And you get those, too, when you sew your own clothes.  Pants are cotton lawn, made by me, Vogue 9067.  These are the wide leg pants in this pattern - Posts featuring Vogue 9067 pants can be found here.

So, slowly I am building a cool, functional, comfortable and slightly chic summer wardrobe.  It's taken years!

Bye til later,

Sarah Liz

39 comments:

  1. It looks very nice. I never thought of putting a loop at the back, its a nice feature. Th edging is perfect great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I usually do a loop - easiest way. Yes, although a mistake, the lace works!

      Delete
  2. Sarah Liz you are a genius at finding solutions to sewing problems which pop up. You could start a consultancy! The top looks very pretty, and the lace really sets it off. I like the larger sleeve too, much cooler and easier to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I'm not sure if it is genius - I think I just hate throwing good money away. And also the time and effort. Yes, I'm really liking baggier, cooler clothes nowadays too.

      Delete
  3. I like your approach to problem solving! A great top in a lovely colour. I sympathise with your joint flare up (I'm your joint twin at present) and hope it settles soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I grew up in the era of waste not want not, so am used to finding all sorts of solutions! I'm sorry you are sore as well.

      Delete
  4. I like your approach to problem solving! A great top in a lovely colour. I sympathise with your joint flare up (I'm your joint twin at present) and hope it settles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty blue and rayon feels lovely but it does tend to be delicate. No one would ever know this fabric was so faulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rayon is delicate but so nice to wear. As it is so delicate, it is a reminder to always buy it on sale! Or a patterned version, where flaws don't show as much.

      Delete
  6. Very nice top. It blue really suits. It will be a great top when the warm weather returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy - the warm weather seems a while off yet doesn't it, but this is a timeless top and can wait!

      Delete
  7. You did a great job of overcoming the fabric's issues & have a nice top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This top will be lovely for summer. The detail with the lace hides the flaw and really makes the top! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, both for the garment comment and your get well wishes. Glad you are back on the blog circuit.

      Delete
  9. What a cute top.. and the flaw happening-- just made it perfect.. The trim just made the top so much more adorable. Looks great on you.
    ps I loved your word.."niggle".. Have that frustration, quiet frequently.ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - all seem to agree the trim makes the top!. And you are in good company - I have lots of fabric niggles going on.

      Delete
  10. For the top that almost wasn't sure turned out to be lovely. What a smart save...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - I'm sure the art of sewing lies in knowing how to rescue something!

      Delete
  11. This is such a pretty top, Sarah. I'm glad you were able to fix the issues. The lace was a great addition. I love that shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is pretty, so at least now I have a top that can do pretty in the wardrobe. It's still plain enough to do plain as well.

      Delete
  12. Good to see you were able to fix this. And I actually love the lace finish detail x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dawn, thank you, and I knew you would. Unbelievably, although lace is not my thing, I love the lace finish too!

      Delete
  13. This top looks great! I love the addition of the lace - clever way to cover up the flaw. Don't you just hate it when you find another flaw after you are finished sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Star - and yes, I do hate it - hence the reaction of wanting to bin it, because you are trying to do your best to make something nice

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad you saved it! The trim DOES suit the top, very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, the trim does work :)

      Delete
  15. Great top and a wonderful colour for you. Great saves and that lace is conveniently at a perfect placement from the bottom - looks like it was meant to go there. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - I'm glad you are back around again. And yes, doesn't it just look right.

      Delete
  16. Lovely top and the colour is very you. I like the addition of the lace trim it really makes the top something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - sometimes mistakes are well worthwhile!

      Delete
  17. Pretty top! Great idea of covering the flaw with the lace :) Glad to know that you are finally build up your summer wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hana - yes, it takes a long time to get a workable wardrobe doesn't it.

      Delete
  18. Hi Sarah, I love the top. The fabric is really nice, the colour suits you perfectly, and the 'flaw-hiding' lace looks perfect. In fact, I think it enhances the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I think the top does look better with the trim as well.

      Delete
  19. Yes, absolutely you are building a fashionable, wearable, enjoyable summer wardrobe that reflects you and your personality well! I like this top and think your solution to the fabric flaws, especially the last one, adds that extra little 'design feature' to make this basic top a little unique. Super cute with the pants. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa, and thank you :). Yes, wardrobes do take forever to build don;t they.

      Delete
  20. You took care of the problem and made a beautiful top.

    ReplyDelete