Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Winter Warmth



So this is a very much at home look.  A long handknit jumper over old cords and of course, for warm feet and total comfort, black fluffy slippers.  What the best dressed always wear at home.  And of course, to complete the picture of elegance, a supremely bad hair day.  This is a pretty seedy looking me, because I took the pictures while I was still recovering from the nasty virus that did the rounds a few weeks ago.  My hair was overdue for a cut, and has now been tidied up, I am pleased to say.

Anyway, enough about my sub standard appearance in this post.  Time to talk about the jumper.

I have stashed wool for some years now and have quite a few balls in various colours that are too much for oddments knitting and not enough for a whole garment.  I mean why did I have 8 balls of 8 ply navy and 6 balls of black 8 ply navy? 50 gm balls, in case you were wondering.  It needs a minimum of 10 to 11 to make an 8 ply cardigan or jumper.

So I decided I wanted to rid myself of these nuisance balls of wool and decided to make a tunic length striped jumper.

I used a TNT Patons pattern from the following book I have had for years and years:


I've never had a failure using the patterns in this book, even when I use a non Paton's yarn.

I chose a cowl neck 8 ply pattern.  I knitted the bands and cowl neckband in blue because I had more blue.  The body was striped - 4 rows black, 4 rows blue.

And the stripes went on and on and on and on and on and on and it took ages and ages to complete this jumper.  And then there was the sewing up and all the ends to deal with.

But I finished in the end!   I did run out of wool when I was knitting the cowl, so made it shorter than it was in the pattern. But it is still quite enough, and I think any more in this wool - which was sort of quite weighty, if you know what I mean - would have been too heavy to wear.



So here we are, a further look at my at home, no visitors please look:







Warm, at home, snuggly and cosy - what more could you want on a cold winter's day!

All for now, see you next week with a garment that I did not want to make and having made have worn all the time!

Sarah Liz

29 comments:

  1. That looks lovely and warm and was a creative way to use up the balls of wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made that?? I bow to your knitting prowess!

    I'm curious about the garment that wasn't supposed to be. Hmm =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - knitting is quite easy, you must try it one day. As for the garment that was not meant to be - I found flaws in the fabric before I started, and was going to wad it outright. I managed to cut around the flaws, and then found another after it was hemmed. I seriously wondered if the top was not supposed to be - but decided to try and find a solution.

      Delete
  3. WOw...you are an amazing knitter. Great job and such a lovely sweater. Looks great on you and I bet its warm and cozy for the cold days your having..
    So nice to use up the left over yarn and get a great item to wear too.
    Hope your feeling better from the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - It is a really cosy jumper. And I am starting to feel better.

      Delete
  4. You can't beat a stripy snuggly jumper 😀 Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Can't find warm things like this in RTW knits either. Can't beat a handknit for warmth.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I would take forever to knit a sweater like that! Snuggly is the best! How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I answered the question on Facebook, as you know by now :) You must start knitting - it's a great hobby that goes well with tea drinking.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely jumper. Very creative use of your stashed wool. You have given me some ideas. Remembered that I have that book and some balls of wool so will try and make use of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lorna, yes, it's a good basic pattern to work any jumper from. Good luck with your stash busting.

      Delete
  7. Your knitting is prefection Sarah Liz, and what a snuggly warm and comfy jumper you have made. Just in time for the freezing winds of August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I will need it, you are right. Not looking forward to those winds!

      Delete
  8. Very nice and perfectly snuggly, and it must feel great to use up all that leftover wool. It looks lovely on you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn - and yes, virtuous use of leftovers always leaves you with a good feeling :)

      Delete
  9. What a great sweater! You look so warm and cozy.... just right for a winter's day. Glad you mentioned how many balls of yarn a cardi would ordinarily need. Your knitting is always so well done and put together. And this cowl does look just right. Glad to hear you are feeling better now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa - yes, this is perfect - I think only a handknit gives you the warmth needed for winter. Trouble is, they take ages, so you really do need to do a little every day and start months before you want it.

      Delete
  10. Great job! I love those matching stripes. Pretty and cozy sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - love your crochet too!

      Delete
  11. That looks so warm and comfy. Very nicely knitted and perfect for our weather now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The perfect layering piece for winter and a very nice knit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel a definite chill tonight. Winter coming here and leaving you. Cosy outfit. I thought you were going to move away from black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I thought this was my black jacket, but it is my jumper. Yes, I am moving away from black, in stages - but this jumper was using stash, which still has black in it. Mixed with blue - the photos are too dark to see, I think. The cowl neck is blue, not black, more flattering to the face.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete