Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Handy Throw On Jacket - New Look 6249.



Sometimes the most unprepossessing garments turn out to be your most useful ever.  And so it was with New Look 6249.



 I really was not motivated to make an easy throw on jacket.  Boring, I said to myself.  And in polar fleece, a fabric that does not inspire me at the best of times.  And I had seen this pattern and passed it up, because I thought it was really shapeless. But then, I had a second look, and thought to myself it is sort of what I am needing for throwing on over things to pop out.  The sort of jacket you can ignore and it doesn't get upset, and is patiently  there for you when you want it. The sort that lives close by for quick outings.  That sort of jacket, not the one you  have to button carefully, arrange neatly, and take about 20 minutes organizing to make sure it looks good before you go out.

In short, the old faithful throw on utilitarian sort of garment.  The one you always wear.

Well, that is how this jacket has turned out!  From not liking it, it has been the most useful garment of the season!

Of course, when you sew polar fleece you can't press the seams open - so I tend to trim one back and fold the other over in a false flat fell seam.  This holds the seam in place and looks great on the outside, if you like the topstitched look:






With kimono sleeves, it is a little hard to open the seam across the right angle,  trim back and fold, without a snip.  I did not like the look of this, and thought it was a bit of a weak point, so I just reinforced and covered with a bit of bias binding:


The jacket does not have a closure, and I often wear it loosely and open, but I also wanted the option of closing it, so I added a snap fastener just about 3 cms above the pocket line on the front facing:


And on the outside added a decorative button which also covers the stitching holding the snap fastener:



The photographs are a little on the natural, windswept side, but that's totally what you look like on wet, windy days when you wear polar fleece jackets.  In fact, I took them last week when I was having my bad hair day...but still, it does give a very realistic impression of how I would look on a windy day!

Unfortunately, details are hard to see in black, so you will only get an impression of the jacket.

I have to admit, I do love the big roomy pockets :









 I have to admit to really liking this jacket now, so sometimes it is good to expand one's sewing horizons just a teeny bit, so long as you keep in mind what you need the garment to do. I thought the fold back cuffs would really annoy me, but so far we have remained on friendly terms.

As for cost, I paid $10.00 for the pattern, $11.86 for the polar fleece at one of Spotlight's sales, $4.95 for the button, and allow $7.00 for snap, thread and needle allowance.   $33.81.  I cut size S, and did not do a muslin - there was really nothing to fit.

Wishing you all a good weekend and of course week to follow,

Sarah Liz


30 comments:

  1. A perfect jacket! I've never sewn with polar fleece and have no immediate plans but will recall your tips, thanks.
    Meant to say I like the clean new look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I wondered if anyone had noticed the changes to the blog!

      Delete
  2. Nice handy jacket Sarah Liz. Polar Fleece benefits greatly from top stitching. The snap fastening was a useful addition, sometimes you need to have a closure especially on windy chilly days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - IMO Fleece is a not a really exciting fabric and you need topstitching to make it look a little interesting.

      Delete
  3. I quite like polar fleece for its coziness and ease in sewing. Good pattern find - I would have overlooked the pattern as well- the version the model is wearing looks odd. glad it turned out so well for you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - polar fleece is easy to sew so long as you pick simple lines that are quite forgiving - the fabric tends to bounce a bit while sewing so upsetting some of the seam allowances!

      Delete
  4. Lovely jacket! I like the addition of snaps. The pockets are a great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love a great "throw on jacket" Sarah. Yours is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jacket turned out so lovely. I love the big roomy pockets. I am sure you will wear it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - I am wearing it a lot :)

      Delete
  7. You really have creative ways to fix issues - I love the way you used the bias binding to reinforce the seam. The jacket turned out very beautiful. Adding the snaps was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One good aspect of being a self taught sewer is you don't have to worry about doing things "right". You just solve problems in any way you can.

      Delete
  8. Interesting how a new shape has worked out to be a much loved garment, great idea to add the snap closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - and I agree, was quite a surprise, and now I can see how this jacket could be used for all sorts of variations.

      Delete
  9. Don't you just love it when this happens, when it starts to be a non-exciting sew and turns in to on that leaves you feeling satisfied. Looks very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - and yes, the satisfaction certainly came at the end, and especially with the wearing of it!

      Delete
  10. Great jacket which you are going to reach for when you need a quick cover up from the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjorie - that's exactly what it was designed for :)

      Delete
  11. Roomy pockets and no muslin would have me whip a jacket up like this! It is lovely. I think the best makes are those that you return to and wear! A few garments look great in my closet and were sewn to perfection but don't get out much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - and I agree, sometimes sewing does look great and is fun to sew, but rarely worn. Still, there is satisfaction in a perfect sew as well. Just ideal if you can wear it a lot and love it as well!

      Delete
  12. Perfect jacket.. I love this kind of jacket.. I end up getting lots more wear from them.. Smart/cute idea to add the snap on the jacket [perfect for that windy day, when our clothes blow every which way.ha
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. The snap also stops the jacket sort of tangling up in my handbag strap as well.

      Delete
  13. I really like this jacket and it looks great on you!!! Your thought process was an interesting read as isn't that so often the case..... what we might think isn't so great, turns out to be our most loved and worn. Appreciate your tip about the false felled seams, as I'd like to try that on my next polar fleece project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I was surprised how good it looked on, actually. Sort of relaxed and casual but something classic about it as well. Good luck with your polar fleece project.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for doing a review on this. I have this pattern and have not yet sewn it up. Good to see someone else's experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, do have a look at the review's on pattern review as well - some people love this jacket, some don't like it as much, for a variety of reasons.

      Delete
  15. That looks nice and snuggly - perfect for this weather. Now wonder you were drawn to sewing it up. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BeaJay - thank you- and yes, the weather had something to do with the choice, and the fact that it was a quick sew.

      Delete